Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

some newbie questions
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 22, 2007 05:02PM

Hi Everyone,

I'm just beginning to incorporate the concept of raw food into my diet. I've always eaten a lot of fruits and vegatables (in comparison with the average cooked diet), many of which raw, and mostly organic. My meals previous to this new shift consisted largely of a protein (like yogurt, cooked beans, soy, or nuts/seeds), a vegetable or fruit, and a grain. I've now cut out the cooked grain in favour of another vegetable or fruit (i.e. my new meal = fruit + vegetables + protein). I'm working to get away from cooked proteins (using sprouted lentils instead for example), but, as you all know, this is a process.

I have many questions, but for the sake of brevity, I'll limit it to two today:

(1) What is the raw food community's attitude toward frozen fruits and vegatables. I for example, particularly like frozen corn, but read somewhere that the freezing process actually destroys the fibre (thus making it significantly less nutritionally valuable). I know that it's always best to eat food fresh, but I have severe fresh food availability and schedule restrictions during the day.

(2) Does anyone have any suggestions for food combining charts? I'm not (yet) prepared to consider mono eating and do like my fruit; I'm hopeful that there is a resource that can suit my situation.

Thank you kindly in advance!

amanda

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: some newbie questions
Posted by: KelBel ()
Date: March 22, 2007 08:33PM

I for one use frozen fruits. They're great for smoothies! Fresh is best but if you can't get fresh then frozen is a great substitute. You might lose some of your nutritional value but its better then canning or other processing!

As far as food combining, I'm still learning that myself.

KelBel

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: March 25, 2007 12:22AM

Frozen is good only if it is overnight, to me. Or if you have an ice cream maker, that is totally cool.

Posted by: uma ()
Date: March 25, 2007 01:50AM

I notice frozen is a little harder on my tummy but I do love frozen banana ice cream, and usually in my smoothies I'll throw in a couple frozen bananas and the rest fresh, plus frozen berries if they're not in season.

I've heard that frozen has lost some nutrients but it hasn't created new toxins like cooked and it's maybe even better than eating dehydrated stuff.

I will surely eat a thawed frozen durian!! smiling smiley

Doug Graham says too much frozen can disrupt the intestinal bacteria.

I ate frozen corn for a while too until someone told me it gets cooked before it is frozen.

There are some food combining books and charts at Living Nutrition's bookstore.

Love,
Uma

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2007 01:53AM by uma.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables