Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

What I have learned so far(mandatory almond pasteurization)
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 04, 2007 06:19PM

First of all I will say that this is very sketchy. This was done with little or no public awarness whatsoever.The Almond Board claims that they alerted national media about this and that there was a 30 day window before the law went into effect where consumers had the right to voice their opinions and call for change. The problem with this is that NO ONE including us, had even heard about this until after the law was passed. What's up with that? Big business conspiracy? Sounds a little like the Mid-East war for oil that I have heard about(sarc).

With that said, some of the organic almond farmers that I have spoken with claim that the only pasteurization process available to almond farmers is a vacuum steam process that heats the nuts to a temp of approx 140-190 F for several hours. They said that this process destroys pathogens as well as any other bacteria that may reside on the outside of the nut. They also say that this heating process will not destroy the integrity of the almonds enzyme structure and that they will still sprout. Ok,but still the only research that has been conducted is people doing their own experiments at home. What happens to the nuts when they're pasteurized in massive volume?

Living Nutz has done lab analysis on our nuts and we have found that our process greatly or almost completely eliminates any pathogens or bacteria that was present on the raw nut to begin with. Absolutely no pasteurization was required. The germination process of our nuts is similar to produce being washed before you eat it except instead of only rinsing the producer for eating at ours are soaked for 12 hours.

I would love to know people's thoughts on what I have learned from the organic almond growers. Thank you this, Seth Leaf

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What I have learned so far(mandatory almond pasteurization)
Posted by: GypsyArdor ()
Date: April 04, 2007 07:14PM

Seth,

Yes, the notice was put up in the Federal Register. If you aren't scouring the notices (I haven't read through them in years) and no one else picks up on something like this, the comment period can come and go before anyone has a chance to say anything. That doesn't mean the ruling can't be stopped. With enough complaints and statements that we refuse to purchase their "unharmed" nuts, there's a chance we can turn this thing around. If not, we'll find alternate sources for truly raw almonds.

I won't be purchasing any almonds if the rule goes through, without knowing 100% that the almonds are untreated. This will include almonds from your company. I want truly raw almonds, not almonds that are partially killed but can still sprout because they are resilient. They are still damaged, if not killed.

Love,

Gypsy

Date: April 04, 2007 08:24PM

Gypsy

Yes we have eliminated just as many pathogens from washing and germinating our nuts as they have with pasteurization. Our lab results have proven us.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: April 05, 2007 06:34AM

It won't stick

Date: April 06, 2007 01:52PM

The ruling or the petition?

Date: April 07, 2007 01:26PM

I addressed this issue with California Almond Board and they had a some what arrogant reply. Here is the email:

Rule <rule@almondboard.com> hide details Apr 6 (13 hours ago)
to gene.butterly@gmail.com
date Apr 6, 2007 8:00 PM
subject Regarding your comments on pasteurization

Dear Mr. Butterly,

We appreciate your comments and suggestions about the pasteurization of raw almonds.

The almond industry strives to provide consumers with a product that they can enjoy, that is safe, and that can benefit health. With consumers’ health and safety as its number one priority, the Almond Board of California worked with the United States Department of Agriculture to institute the pasteurization program. The purpose of this program is to ensure consumers are provided with safe, wholesome food products free from potentially harmful levels of unsafe bacteria.

You can be assured that pasteurized almonds are as nutritious and delicious as unpasteurized almonds. The almond industry invested in independent nutritional lab analyses of pasteurized versus unpasteurized almonds. Those tests did not reveal any degradation of the taste, quality or nutritional value of treated almonds. Pasteurized almonds are still nutrient dense, a good source of protein and fiber, an excellent source of vitamin E and magnesium, and still help maintain a healthy cholesterol level.

We understand there have been questions whether the industry pasteurization program has consumer labeling implications. These new industry regulations do not pertain to consumer labeling. Manufacturers and retailers will continue to determine how to label their products in line with FDA regulations.

We hope you will continue to enjoy almonds knowing that they are the same wholesome food that you have enjoyed for so long.

Sincerely,

The Almond Board of California

============== End email ========

Notice the name of this character who replied back... "Rule"

Take care, Gene

Date: April 09, 2007 02:21AM

People won't allow this to happen. I know it, this is crazy, Does anyone think this has something to do with Codex Alimentarius?

because by dec 2009 mandatory just about everything will be pasteurized and irradiated..it's good for agri business, chemi business pharmeceuticals etc..people will be sicker and need doctors. it is not the government, but the WTO that requires every country to harmonize with this.

[video.google.com]

This is real, there are more videos about it but this seems to be the most interesting, kind of long..

/

Freedom, nice letter!I wrote them email too, even though I don't eat almonds, I wrote one.

"""I am a raw foodist and I cannot eat nor sprout pasteurized almonds. You are taking away my right to buy really raw almonds.

Please stop this, please, we need almonds raw.

People die from eating meat all the time, does that mean you pasteurize the meat? I guess that is next, what about the life force of the almond? You are contributing to people not being as healthy.""""

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2007 02:28AM by coconutcream.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: April 09, 2007 02:36AM

I'll bet it is media scares like this article called "Bacteria in peanut butter linked to leak" that keeps these almond guy up at night.

Date: April 09, 2007 03:14AM

Hey Bryan, what do you think?

noone freaked out when they mandatory pasteurized milk..why not? I mean, I hate milk its nasty, but do you think noone will care about almonds?

Posted by: singinraw ()
Date: April 09, 2007 04:38AM

I'm really worried about all this stuff whats gonna happen to us? I mean when raw is only thing that really makes you feel better from problems what can we turn to please somebody stop all this how can they take away are food like this.

Raw almonds help my system and where I live you can't grow almond trees either sad smiley

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: April 09, 2007 05:45AM

coconutcream

did you say that EVERYTHING will be pasteurized?
can you clarify that?

do u mean vegetables like green veggies as well?
or just nuts

Date: April 09, 2007 06:16AM

sorry!! No , but I am not certain. What they plan is crazy, insane..it will be alot of things. You can go to their website and see what they allow and won't. Plus they MANDATE stuff like pesticides and hormones. It's crazy, look it up. "Codex Alimentarius"

They will definitely try to get the veggies polluted

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: April 10, 2007 02:53AM

Hi Singinraw,
This current problem is just for almonds, but in the very near future we're slated to come under 'Codex Alimenatrius,' and yes, if nothing changes (i.e. there is no public outcry) they want to irradiate produce and just about everything else. It's monstrous, but we still have time to wake people up and get them to realize this is happening.

Don't agonize. . . organize. ;-)

(I know, it's easier said than done. Sometimes it makes me cry, and sometimes I wake up or go to bed feeling rather anxious about it-- which is probably normal, given the circumstances.)

We can:
* Learn everything we can.
* Give ourselves some time and space to grieve and be ticked off about it.
* Then we can rise up and lovingly, sanely, positively work toward a food and nutrition-centered Codex Alimentarius.

Anyone want to join me?

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Kit ()
Date: April 10, 2007 04:40AM

Cconut Cream,

OMG, I watched your video. I'm going to check out the site she mentioned.

Kit

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables