Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Food washing and storage?
Posted by: adfinder ()
Date: April 07, 2007 02:05AM

I was wondering what you guys do in terms of washing your fruits and veggies, as well as storage.

Do you wash your organic fruits/veggies to get rid of mold or parasites, or do you not wash them to because they're organic and you want the probiotics or soil that might be on them?

Do some foods require air? I ask because I have air tight containers that I was thinking about using to keep veggies and fruits in. However, it seems like some foods come in open packages. Such as grapes and strawberries come in containers with holes. While others like carrots or salads come in resealable bags. So do some fruits/veggies require air, while others require air tightness? If so, which ones?

Also, does anyone use a refrigerator air purifier? Like the little ionizer ones. Do they work for prolonging freshness?

And instead of creating multiple threads, I figured I'd toss this question in too.

What do you think is better healthwise... Organic Raw Golden Flax Seeds or Organic Raw Dehydrated Sprouted Flax Seeds? They're both raw and organic, but does dehydration take away from the health of it. Yet, they're sprouted which I'd think is better.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Food washing and storage?
Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: April 07, 2007 04:07AM

I am also very interested in what people will have to say about how they store their produce.

I wash my fruits and veggies. I had no idea about the probiotics or soil. I just wash them because I think about how many hands that touch them before they make it to my mouth. A lady I live with always warns me about people in Mexico (she's Mexican) when she was growing up peeing in the fields where they grow fruits, and then touching fruits with dirty hands. I don't know if it's true or not because she does tend to embellish a little bit. I just think about all the different hands they go through before they make it to my mouth including the people that pick it, the people that store it, and the people that touch it deciding whether or not to buy it. I try to buy from farmers markets, but sometimes I do buy from the store which I am more concious about washing organic or not. Is that weird that I worry about that?

I put everything that I buy (not growing in my yard) except for bananas in the fridge. I feel like it stays fresh longer that way. I don't know if it's true or not, that's just how I think. Plus I like it when fruits are cold because my mind says to me cold = refreshing.

Posted by: Livin2 ()
Date: April 07, 2007 03:39PM

I do wash everything, just like ILoveJen I too think of all the people who have touch them!
I do however put only certian things in the refrigerator. I do what the store does, If it was in the middle of the produce section, then I don't put it in the refer. If it was from the cooler, then I put them in the refrigerator. The fruits and veggies I leave out, I keep them in baskets, that way air gets to them. I have never had any problem with this way. When I cut up something and don't use it all, then that too will be placed in the refrigerator.
As far as the Flax Seed, sorry I can't help you with that one! :-(
There are so many cool people here, I'm sure in no time you'll have your answer!
Take Care & Many Blessings!

Posted by: annie27 ()
Date: April 08, 2007 02:37AM

When Im doing a lot of eating and hanging around the house or am kind of organized, I keep a bin of tap water mixed with a few drops of food grade hydrogen peroxide on the counter and use it all day to wash all my produce in.
Its cheap to do and is supposed to safely kill off most of what could harm me.
I also keep a large cotton or linen dishtowel on the counter to dry the produce off.

Otherwise I just run things under the tap and hope for the best.
When Im not careful about washing, my theory is that the elements kill off lots of the harmful bugs so I ignore all the dirty hands which have already touched the food. But thats probably not the best approach.....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables