Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

raw food diet for busy folks-- efficient raw food preparation tips?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 07, 2007 11:58PM

hi folks,
i just recently joined and am really excited to be a part of this community!
i've seen many posts about the transformative nature of a raw food diet. i feel inspired to go raw, perhaps 80%.. i'm interested in learning what folks did to transition, the books consulted on how to eat raw, how much time per day sepnt preparing raw food? how does a busy person create an efficient system for going raw? any useful websites/books and personal stories you'd have to share is greatly appreciated!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: raw food diet for busy folks-- efficient raw food preparation tips?
Posted by: Dulset ()
Date: April 08, 2007 01:52AM

Been transitioning for about 6 months. For me not running out of my staples is key. Not having ripe bananas or a pile of oranges or celery/greens leaves me vulnerable to eating cooked stuff and using too much fat or salt.

The most time consuming food prep time for me is spent on smoothies, relatively quick, about 5 mins at most. Eating/drinking the smoothie takes time though.

All other food prep time is just peeling/cutting fruit. Occasionally will blend a salad dressing (mango avacado) and pour it on a simple 2 ingredient salad like arugula and cherry tomatoes

Having Lara Bars around or some dehydrated crackers or cookies is nice for snacking but I try to eat those sparingly. My dogs end up getting a lot of the crackers, I only like them when they're fresh. I make them with a bare minimum of spice/salt.

Eating cooked food other than simple steamed veggies invites hunger and craving in and it can quickly become a vicious downward spiral back to SAD if you let it.

Check out Frederick Patenaude's website, you can get a lot of free info there to start.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2007 01:53AM by Dulset.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: April 08, 2007 02:17AM

The ultimate raw fast food is fresh ripe fruit. It takes no prep time, but you do have to keep fruit in your house because often fruit in the stores is not ripe, and it takes time to ripen at home to get the nutrition in the fruit to its optimal levels.

However, assuming you are always keeping adequate ripe fruit at home, preparation time is zero. Thats hard to beat.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: April 08, 2007 04:07AM

i agree with bryan
a piece of fruit
is a cinch
no prep time
what a concept
lo and behold
so simple

Posted by: anna_elle ()
Date: April 08, 2007 06:41AM

Bryan, do you have any suggestions for ripening kiwis? It seems to take forever for them to soften. Sometimes they shrivel and wrinkle instead.

As to favourite fast food, we like frozen ripe bananas blended with any other frozen ripe fruit and fruit juice. When our bananas get ripe i peel them and break them into chunks which i put in a container in the freezer. Instant "ice cream" anytime. They can also change a smoothie texture to be more like a shake.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables