Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Bryan! Pls help! (OR anyone else for that matter...)
Posted by: Peisinoe ()
Date: April 13, 2007 08:28AM

I am interested in the 80-10-10 approach, but I seem to be stuck on a 60-30-10 or so, 30 being my fats.
Can you give some advice on how to eat ca 1500 cals on a 80-10-10 diet? I feel like I am already eating tons of fruit, and I am afraid of becoming tired if I drastically cut back on nuts...

Recommendations?

thanks in advance,
xxpeisinoe

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bryan! Pls help! (OR anyone else for that matter...)
Posted by: fresh ()
Date: April 13, 2007 02:06PM

well, i have more energy when not eating nuts, so i don't know what your experience has been with nuts.

the 80/10/10 diet directs us to fresh food, and nuts are not fresh, they are dried, unless you are picking them off the tree yourself.

you might want to try smoothies to get carbs up..

Date: April 13, 2007 03:04PM

Fresh-
thanks!

Yeah, the nuts I get (walnuts and almonds) are fresh. I invested in a handy little nut cracker, and I am fortunate enough to have an excellent farmers market on my street.

I know I could eat more fruit, but... I feel like I am already eating a lot of fruit. It isn't that I don't like fruit, because I really really do, but... Well, I don't know what it is. I am going to try to exchange nuts for another fruit smoothie in my day for the following week and see how I feel.

But it is interesting that you have more energy when not eating nuts. Is this a common thing amongst the raw foodies?

Thanks again,
xxpeisi

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: April 13, 2007 04:43PM

Are you getting enough greens? Greens in fruit smoothies go down easy and you don't taste the greens. A lot of people recommend more greens-- which means more protein-- when you crave fats, because you may really need the protein that's in the greens. Check out the Boutenkos' website for more info on green smoothies.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Sparkler ()
Date: April 13, 2007 06:47PM

Are you sure 1500 cals is all you need?

Here's some ways to do what you asked:

15 bananas, large salad.
1 big watermelon, large salad.

Half big watermelon for breakfast, 7-10 bananas for lunch, large salad for dinner.

Use nutridiary to calculate the calories of any fruit you choose...try playing with eating simply...see if you like it. smiling smiley

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Posted by: Harmony ()
Date: April 13, 2007 09:51PM

I always feel tired & sluggish now after eating nuts, and they don't digest well. I decided to avoid them because of this. This happens because digesting nuts takes so much more energy than digesting fresh fruits & tender greens.

Nutridiary is a great tool for figuring out your caloric needs, and if you're meeting them. I found it very helpful in the beginning. GL!

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: April 14, 2007 06:46AM

Take a look at the thread called "High-fruit low-fat research trial!!!" for various peoples' daily menus.

What helps me is to not have overt fats every day. Overt fats are foods who main source of calories come from fats: oils, nuts, seeds, nut butters, avocados, coconuts, etc.

Have you been putting your daily menu into the nutritional calculator to see if your fat intake in accurate? I ask these because if you haven't used a caculator, and are basing your fat intake on volume or weight, these approaches will not get an accurate reading of your fat intake.

It may be that you need more time to do the transtion from your old diet to 80/10/10. I would first start with a fat intake you are comfortable with, and slowly move the percentage down. Here is an old post where I talked about tips I learned in my process of lowering my fat intake in a thread called "Re: What do you eat...why?"

Date: April 14, 2007 09:56AM

Hey! I will read those links later this afternoon! Thanks

I think I definately agree with not having overt fats every day. I guess I just wanted some verification from you because you are more experienced with raw than I am.
I do use calculators- both fitday and nutridiary- to get an approximation of where my fats are coming from and how much the percentages are. I am a bit paranoid about the whole omega-3's as well, and I am afraid that if I don't eat nuts, I will be depriving myself of something vital.

What are your feelings on this?
Thanks,
xxpeisi

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables