Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Why is honey ok for raw vegans?
Posted by: Inaia ()
Date: April 16, 2007 02:32AM

Hello all. I have been raw now for a few months and I feel awesome and my life is being lifted to a whole new level. I was vegan or vegetarian for the past 18 yrs. Cooked vegans do not eat honey. Why is it ok for raw vegans?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why is honey ok for raw vegans?
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: April 16, 2007 02:40AM

Raw vegans don't eat honey either. In general, its best to avoid sweeteners and flavorings in general. This way you choose foods that taste good without external flavorings. If you were to take out all the sweeteners, salts, peppers, vinegars, spices, and condiments out of your diet, which foods would you choose to eat?

Date: April 16, 2007 05:04AM

Thanks for that. I appreciate your answer & your approach. Makes sense. However, I have seen many raw vegans who do use raw honey & other condiments. So I am interested to see their point of view on the question as well.

Posted by: morrisson66 ()
Date: April 16, 2007 05:44AM

I have met cooked vegans who adamantly claim they are vegan and eat honey. They say it's a vegan substance... I'm not debating this only repeating what I've heard...

Posted by: earthangel ()
Date: April 16, 2007 07:07AM

i have heard people say that since it is a natural thing and the bee's aren't injured or harmed in any way that it is okay to eat...but i don't personally believe that...i know that few friends on the site eat honey and know that itisn't vegan when they do smiling smiley...so i don't know i don't eat it or think it is vegan!!
good luck hun
love earth angel
xoxoxoxoxox

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: April 16, 2007 07:40AM

ask the bees
only they would know

maybe they wanna share
maybe they don't

anyone here a bee whisperer?

i could be if i really tried
but it will take some time

bear with me

okay

i'm back again

a coupla moments have passed in timewarplandia

i talked to the bees

they didn't give me a straightforward reply but gave me this question

" Is there any point in time where a stone dropped into a pond would not cause a ripple? It exists but tell me where..."

I was TOTALLY stumped

these bees, you know.. they are really spinx in disguise

look at their little hexagonal temples
perfect in every way

more perfect than the pyramid

hmmmm....

so if u can answer this question
i think you'll know if honey is okay

don't ask me what's okay

i've given up knowing what is and is not bad or good
okay or not okay
up or down
left or right

i just know that i put one foot in front of the other
and things start unfolding

Posted by: earthangel ()
Date: April 16, 2007 08:08AM

haha you go...that is right who knows..that is what i was saying i don't personally but i am not here to judge or say what is wrong or righ for another person...and don't ask myself the question unless it pertains to me needing the honey haha...i think anyone who wants honey to each their own..there are worse things or better or up things or down..or left or right smiling smiley
love earthangel
xoxoxoxoxoxoxox

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: April 16, 2007 10:20AM

-I've heard the quote that raw veganism is a 'lifestyle' and not a 'diet'. That is certainly true. There are no raw food police to nail you - and no fixed regime to adhere to. It is very much an individual spectrum every step of the way. Raw VEGANS do not eat honey. I certainly do not.

-If you see folks that are mostly raw...and still eat honey....so be it! That's their choice. You'll make the choices that are right for YOU - end of story. smiling smiley

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: April 16, 2007 04:01PM

Thanks for this, all. Very good stuff. Appreciate everyone who took time to share their thoughts. Makes good sense.

Posted by: Peisinoe ()
Date: April 16, 2007 04:48PM

I consider myself a raw vegan, and I eat honey only when I have a cup of tea or coffee with vegan cream. It isn't ideal, but I look at it like this:

I eat raw cashews even though they aren't raw, but I don't feel guilt.
I eat olives sold in glass jars even though I hear they aren't raw. Taste fine to me!

I don't believe bees get harmed when their honey is taken, and I am extremely sensitive to sugar (from sugar cane), so honey is what I choose to use. It has lots of vitamins and it is yummy, although...

Do you know it is made my bees vomitting pollen repeatedly into each other's mouthes? So essentially, honey is bee puke.

Mmmmm yummy!
xxpeisi

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: April 16, 2007 04:55PM

I once met I guy who claimed to be a meat eater, but he had carrots, peas on potatos on his plate. I was going to point out that he wasn't a real meat eater since he was eating vegetables, but it's his path, if he wants to lie to himself about being a meat eater, it's probably not my place to stop him.

Anyway, I didn't know honey was ok for raw vegans, since Inaia and some others say it's OK, I will start eating a jar today! Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Thanks guys!
Ian.

Posted by: morrisson66 ()
Date: April 16, 2007 05:13PM

I pretty much consider myself, myself... Allow myself to introduce... myself.

Posted by: Peisinoe ()
Date: April 16, 2007 05:18PM

Haha you makin fun of the way I talk??
Better watch out, or I will throw bee puke at you!

:p

xxmyself

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: April 16, 2007 05:57PM

I started eating local honey to help with a lifelong fight with allergies. It was amazing how it changed my life. I was able to pinpoint my many other allergies with the pollen allergies under control. I will never give it up. My husband and I looked into beekeeping and have decided to do it someday. From what we read it is not harmful or detrimental in any way. I will be glad to see it first hand and know I am harvesting from happy bees.

Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: April 16, 2007 06:11PM

I love raw honey, and it's helped me with allergies.

It doesn't ferment in the stomach like fruit, if it isn't combined properly.

I can see how the bee puke thing, lol, can freak people out with eating disorders.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables