Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

unorganic bananas
Posted by: fuzzysox ()
Date: April 17, 2007 06:07AM

well i bought sum unorganic bananas today at walmart and i was wondering if i should just avoid eating these,, compared 2 organic bananas they deffinately dont taste as good, they hav sortof a bleh sweet taste, and after i eat them i feel a little bleh, haha if that makes sense, well does anybody kno if conventional bananas r hybridized nd hav GMO's yepp so thanx 4 any posts :]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: unorganic bananas
Date: April 17, 2007 06:08AM

err inorganic?...haha woops

Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: April 17, 2007 07:03AM

Organic bananas are best & they are always cheap when marked down at the store for being "too ripe" which is really the best way to eat them.

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: April 17, 2007 08:25AM

I wouldn't worry too much about non-organic bananas. All bananas are hybridised (including organic), I don't think they've done any GMO bananas yet, anyone have any info on that?

(But obviously organic are better if you can get them/afford them.)

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: bronwynsun ()
Date: April 17, 2007 12:30PM

so true rawrr! i get all of my bananas from a little grocery near my house. they have packages of the sad ones that are just dented or overipe (which to me is ripe!) so i get bunches of organic bananas for 79 cents! it is incredible!

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: April 17, 2007 12:31PM

fuzzysox Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> well i bought sum unorganic bananas today at
> walmart and i was wondering if i should just avoid
> eating these,, compared 2 organic bananas they
> deffinately dont taste as good, they hav sortof a
> bleh sweet taste, and after i eat them i feel a
> little bleh, haha if that makes sense, well does
> anybody kno if conventional bananas r hybridized
> nd hav GMO's yepp so thanx 4 any posts :]

my experience is that i would rather eat cooked than eat non organic bananas.

my body senses a lack of nutritional content

and they make me physically ill.

Posted by: Forrest ()
Date: April 17, 2007 08:41PM

some of the best bananas I've ever had were conventional. Those Dole Ecuadorian grown cavendish bananas are awesome! Really dense and chewy, with a lot of sweetness and depth of flavor.

Date: April 17, 2007 09:19PM

odd those are the ones that make me feel sick,,the dole ones, they really arent that flavorful 2 me compared 2 the organic ones i get at my healthfood store, im gunna do a test, finally i hav both organic bananas and doles..

Posted by: Forrest ()
Date: April 18, 2007 07:45PM

Dole sources from about a zillion farms.

Date: April 18, 2007 10:37PM

did the test i ahv organic dole bananas and normal ones from walmart,, yepp the normal ones are deffinately waaay more sweet, they dont taste that great 2 me, forrest it says they are from equador on the ones from walmart

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: April 18, 2007 11:42PM

I'd be more turned off by any "health food" that Walmart sells rather than if it's organic or non organic.

Posted by: gracielle ()
Date: April 19, 2007 01:09AM

I definitely can tell the difference in taste between organic and non-organic, but I usually just go for the nons because they're half the price and they also fall into the "least contaminated" category. You know about the "dirty dozen" of produce, right? These are the ones to stay away from...

12 Most Contaminated - Buy These Organic
• Apples
• Bell Peppers
• Celery
• Cherries
• Imported Grapes
• Nectarines
• Peaches
• Pears
• Potatoes
• Red Raspberries
• Spinach
• Strawberries

...and these ones aren't as bad non-organic...

12 Least Contaminated
• Asparagus
• Avocados
• Bananas
• Broccoli
• Cauliflower
• Corn (sweet)
• Kiwi
• Mangos
• Onions
• Papaya
• Pineapples
• Peas (sweet)

"A simulation of thousands of consumers eating high and low pesticide diets shows that people can lower their pesticide exposure by 90 percent by avoiding the top twelve most contaminated fruits and vegetables and eating the least contaminated instead. Eating the 12 most contaminated fruits and vegetables will expose a person to nearly 20 pesticides per day, on average. Eating the 12 least contaminated will expose a person to a fraction over 2 pesticides per day. With that in mind, the Environmental Working Group brings us their list of the most contaminated (the dirty dozen!) and least contaminated fruits and vegetables out there."

It's up on greenthinkers.org

Peace~

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 19, 2007 01:29AM

How do you eat corn or peas raw? Ew! You probably dehydrate them right? So alost of raw foods are kinda cooked from dehydration? Not cooked in the true sence of the work but just so the food is more edible?

Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: April 19, 2007 02:25AM

some people sprout peas. Occasionally I add corn in my salad straight off the cob. It's sweet. It tastes similar to what I remember cooked corn tasting like, and I'm not really sure why people cook it? I guess butter melts on it better if it is warm...

I heard once that your body can't digest corn. Is that true? what's the point of eating something your body can't digest?

Posted by: minou33 ()
Date: April 19, 2007 02:53AM

One thing not mentioned yet-- when you buy non-organic produce (particulary bananas) that are grown outside the US in S. America you run the risk of DDT. DDT was the pesticide used in the US that was found to cause cancer, birth defects, etc. and nearly led to the extinction of the bald eagle. It was banned in the US, but we still produce it to sell to poor countries in S. America..who in turn use it on their produce and then ship it back to us. I try not to buy any non-organic produce from S. America because of this.

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: April 19, 2007 03:18AM

humans In general have not such an easy time digesting starch. in the past I found that cooked strach will settle (not necc digest) better than raw starch.

like with a banana for instance..you want it to fully ripe so it is no longer starchy

I wouldn't say commerical bananas are taboo, thats an idea that reaks of organic elitism. I think even TC Fry said something about bananas where it matters more if they were gassed or whatever in transport. not sure if that is the correct terminology but the result is that the bananas will have streaks(not so good) and not spots (good) on the exterior when ripe.. I've seen streaked organic bananas and spotted commercial ones for sure.

there are of cource ethical concerns with the transport of commerical bananas, however when people use this against someone who is doing their best with their diet, I can only assume for the critic that one eating raw foods that they can afford (thus obstaing from most products that are inequal in consequence) carries no ethical merit.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2007 03:24AM by anaken.

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: April 19, 2007 03:22AM

I think bananas carry the LEAST ammount of pesticide residue than any commerical fruit

just my opinion

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: April 19, 2007 04:30AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables