Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Raw as a Spiritual Practice
Posted by: khale ()
Date: April 19, 2007 01:17PM

The "juicing is natural" thread inspired the idea for this new topic as I notice that many of us are being motivated and inspired by "things" that can not rightly be called rational or scientific, but more spiritual.

By spiritual I do not mean any practice organized around anything religious necessarily, but rather a desire to feel connected to Source, and other people; to Nature (if that is different than being connected to Source for you), and to the Self, or ones inner divine source.

There are so many 'lessons' that I would consider spiritual that happen as I transition to raw that I am very interested in other peoples experiences and thoughts concerning this.

How much of your eating is motivated by more spiritual than physical goals? And how does this flesh out for you?

khale

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw as a Spiritual Practice
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 19, 2007 01:50PM

Very good, eating 100% live and juicing result in very pristine states that can be quite hard to describe and or quantify. When you get there you sure know it though. For me, I do it for both reason maybe 50/50.

How does it flesh out:

Being filled with cooked food, and or a clogged up digestive system is like having a ball and chain restriction on you. When the chain is cut loose you automaticly are freed to another dimesnion and are free to roam that realm.

elnatural_1

Posted by: Dulset ()
Date: April 19, 2007 02:14PM

It is startling to me how similar the raw diet is to a spiritual practice.

-mindfullness of what I'm putting in my mouth (discipline, not giving in to craving)

-the vegan ethic of not using animal products, being more aware of how connected we are with all the other species on this planet

-the rewards of reaching heightened states of health which are not attainable on a cooked food diet

-the instant karma of eating non raw meals

-the changes which occur in my body that allow me to get nourishment in a more simple way, I want less to be truly satisfied

-the importamce of loving myself in a health way

-being a positive example to others

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2007 02:18PM by Dulset.

Date: April 19, 2007 02:28PM

Dulset
good insights.

I make this statement to people and thier mouths go wide open.

"I don't live to eat, I eat to live abundantly" "I don't eat for entertainment."

When you get to that point you have really risen.

elnatural

Posted by: Devric ()
Date: April 19, 2007 02:42PM

Since going raw, I definitely feel like I'm more spirit and less body. I can also say that in the first month or so of going raw I went through a period where I felt an intense connection to the earth. I always knew it was in me, but it never really surfaced until I cleansed my body. I felt a bit freaked out by these experiences at first, but now that I've assimilated them, I'm free to kick back and ride the wave. I also know that as an artist my work has gotten a lot better, a lot more interesting, detailed, and filled with topical depth.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: April 19, 2007 02:54PM

-Diet is just like anything else....only MORE so.....a great way to bring presence and consciousness......to an often-time unconscious/unhealthy practice in our lives. It is that level of conscious that is the important 'product' and not simply trying to eat our way in heaven!....ha! ha!.....as I've heard it said. Just my opinions.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: elover6 ()
Date: April 19, 2007 03:14PM

We are spiritual being having a human experience. The more we try and get fullfiled(spell check) with eartly pleasures some will see how fleeting and short lived they become. As fore me giving up more and more it was natural to seek out what give me the highest frequency and vibration. Eating from what Mother Earth has enriched our planet with not altering it and allowing our humaness to get in the way one more time we are giving the enenrgy, healing and raw power and conciousness that some have been seeking for many lifetimes. I thank the raw pioneers for them pathing the paths to allow us to be informed. I know several people in my office and else where that have started fasting and getting into this raw lifestyle just on what they have seen in me and that is the added fuel to know that I'm on the right path and that old patterns for people aren't working time to turn to higher source. May everybodies vibration touch and unite as see the world coming closer to oneness.......Ohmmmmmmmmmmm Shanti Ohmmmmmmmmm

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: April 19, 2007 03:46PM

>How much of your eating is motivated by more spiritual than physical goals? And how does this flesh out for you?<

Khale,
What a great question! I probably would not have stuck with the raw diet as consistently as I have if it wasn't for the spiritual aspect, which is paramount. I don't feel as connected spiritually when I eat cooked food and/or animal products, and so I've come to see the raw food diet and occasional fasting as a vital part of my spiritual practice.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: April 19, 2007 04:46PM

i LOVe THIS thread

Date: April 19, 2007 07:00PM

The best I've ever felt has been after 15 day all juice feasts. That has become my reference point or going home place.

My whole focus is going back to Eden and being all we were meant to be.

elnatural

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: April 19, 2007 08:42PM

The more naturally I live the more spiritual I feel. The raw diet has propelled this feeling. I really want to try a juice fast so I can feel the hieght of enlightenment others have written about.

Date: April 19, 2007 09:04PM

Wow! Thanks everyone for your wonderful thoughts.

Some of what I consider to be spiritual experiences as I transition to raw are often more mundane and nittygritty than otherwise, for example:

Learning how to love and acknowledge other peoples needs without compromising, sacrificing, or postponing my own. Oftentimes a very difficult challenge for me.

Facing fears, blocks, and inner resistance to the dreams, goals and aspirations that I believe are Spirit-given or led. Often, when I am feeling my best as a result of eating primarily raw food, and am filled with a sense of joy and expectancy, some inner saboteur will raise it's head and at that very point I will eat something icky; often without even knowing how it happened, or not seeing it coming.

Dealing with occasional lonliness as a result of eating so differently than my old friends and family. This pushes me to find my solidity and security within myself; to connect with a sense of prescence that never leaves us, if we don't leave "it" and discovering a sense of courage that comes from faith in the eternal, rather than the temporal.

Just some thoughts and experiences, some of which are hard to put into words.

Let's keep this thread going! I'd like to hear more...

khale

Posted by: Frannie ()
Date: April 19, 2007 10:34PM

Nice thread Khale. When I ate cooked food I was not aware of my own spirituality at all. Once I made the switch to raw I felt a strong need to be in nature and I started discovering my spiritual self. It felt to me like I'd finally found a door I had been looking for my entire life and when it opened and I walked through everything started to make sense at last and I realized to my amazement that dreams do indeed come true and fairytales and magic are for real.

It has made me a much warmer, caring, happier and fulfilled person and a better parent to my children.

Francis

Date: April 20, 2007 01:00PM

elnatural_1 Wrote:

> My whole focus is going back to Eden and being all
> we were meant to be.

I think "being all we were meant to be" is the basic, instinctual spiritual drive. I think we "know" that mankind has a key role in mediating between spirit and the manifest realm; that "he" has great innate capabilities for dignity, love, and positive creative power and that to too large a degree these innate qualities are being overshadowed and rendered ineffectual. It's as if the "devil", when asked by his legions how to keep the "sons of god" from manifesting their power, answers, "Feed them cheeseburgers."

Awareness is key. and I believe that too much food in general, and too much non-foods specifically keep us in a fog so that we forget who we really are. Eating raw and lightly strengthens our capacity for awareness so that we can begin to see what's really going on, and then gives us the energy and endurance to actually act on behalf of the "higher powers".

Ancient spiritual traditions have taught that the body must be prepared sufficiently to handle the enormous power inherent in spiritual "light". the stronger the vessel, the more spiritual grace or power it can hold. all of us here have the potential to become ever brighter beacons of light in a dark world desperately in need of it. I'm not talking of anything fancy or mind-blowing here. Just a genuine smile from a happy heart can start changes in the person who encounters it.

khale

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: April 20, 2007 03:19PM

Thanks Khale, That is beautiful and sings true for me.

Posted by: ReneeK ()
Date: April 20, 2007 05:44PM

I'm working my way to eating raw because of the health benefits. I'm also atheist so I don't spend much time thinking of spirituality in general. :-)

Proud to be a tandem breastfeeding, cosleeping, mei tai wearing, natural/homebirthing, cloth diapering, never spanking, non-circumcising mama to two wonderful little leeches. Baby Boy '04, Baby girl '06. :-)

Date: April 20, 2007 06:50PM

I believe that being high raw since 2005 has inreased my awareness of my spiritual path. I was consciously on the path prior to turning raw, but I find that being raw has created more clarity on all levels in my life. The most obvious one for me has been being more aware of my feelings emotionally and how to process them in the most healing way for me. Also, I have noticed a deeper connection to Source/Universe/God/Goddess and an understanding of how everyone and everything is connected (the idea that we are all One). My intuition has increased while becoming more clear. Also, I notice that it is nearly impossible for me not to live in integrity with my beliefs or values. My body, mind, and spirit wake me up when I am not living in integrity with my own personal truths.

The most amazing thing for me has been a feeling of being more grounded and connected to the planet. Often, in spiritual circles, people talk about how certain foods are grounding, etc. I really don't notice that applying to me as much any more. I use intention to ground more consciously and it's easier to stay grounded.

I also feel more of a calling to be of service to the planet and to humanity. It's hard to explain, but I think there's a quote that Muhammed Ali said..."Service is the rent you pay for taking up space on this planet." Something like that...apologies for not getting it "exact."

Speaking of "exact," I've learned many lessons about letting go of perfectionism. I used to struggle with this constantly. I would beat myself up for not attaining some ideal of "perfect." I'm learning to be less judgmental of myself and well, that is mirrored by not being judgmental of others for their choices when it comes to not only diet, but other daily life choices smiling smiley It's nice just to let others be who they are, without trying to change them. Just my loving energy is all that is needed at times. Others will come to me and ask questions about the raw way of life when they are ready...I don't force this or try to "educate" others.

Posted by: Devric ()
Date: April 20, 2007 08:37PM

ReneeK Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm working my way to eating raw because of the
> health benefits. I'm also atheist so I don't
> spend much time thinking of spirituality in
> general. :-)
>
> *****************

Spirituality and atheism are not necessarily related terms, and they're certainly not related in my world. Atheism specifically refers to not believing in gods or deities and their moral codes. Therefore, it's entirely possible to believe in and experience "third eye" type spirituality, a consciousness that goes beyond the corporeal and the rational, without having to prostrate oneself to an invisible authority figure (i.e. some bearded wizard sitting in the clouds passing harsh judgment over all of us). The spiritual state that I refer to is actually closer to traditional atheism and the rejection of "gods" than someone who plods through life solely relying on science and the naked eye. It's a spirituality of total liberation where anything is possible, not bondage and servility to some -ism.
Honestly, I'm surprised that anyone who found their way to this board needs to be informed of the elementary differences between spirituality, atheism, and religious mind slavery.
With that said, I also took up raw for my health. All this crazy spiritual $h!t was nothing but a pleasant surprise.

Posted by: Frannie ()
Date: April 20, 2007 09:28PM

Devric wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Honestly, I'm surprised that anyone who found their way to this board needs to be informed of the elementary differences between spirituality, atheism, and religious mind slavery
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ouch Devric,
That doesn't sound very "spiritual". Plenty of people who find their way to this board have only just started on their raw journey and may not be aware that they have also started on their spiritual journey.

Francis

Date: April 20, 2007 09:39PM

None of my eating is motivated by anything spiritual or makes me anymore spiritual than I was before, I'm more moved by the things I do than the things I eat....

F1

Posted by: ReneeK ()
Date: April 20, 2007 09:39PM

I'm well aware of all that. I was voicing my personal opinion. I now bow out of the thread. Good day!

Date: April 21, 2007 01:26PM

Welp, I'm still enjoying the thread and am just as interested in the thoughts and opinions of those who DON'T consider the diet having anything to do with spirituality as those that do.

And, as some of you may have already noticed ; ) I don't think spirituality is defined by how "nice" someone is. I'm not a big fan of milksop spirituality. I gravitate toward tough teachers and difficult teachings, but that's just me.

What motivates my thinking concerning spirituality and diet revolves around the concept of no separation between "spirit" and "body"; that what affects one affects the other and vice versus; that our bodies are built as much upon the quality of our spirits/thoughts as on the foods we eat and that the two work in tandem in transforming our bodies and lives. I think this happens whether one gives much thought to spirituality or not.

You know, I've always been very interested in the religious/spiritual, so it comes naturally to me to think along these lines and to experience a spiritual component in pursuit of no matter what goal. For others it's the farthest thing from their minds and I think that is what Renee was getting at. If she is atheist then the distinction between "spirituality, atheism, and religious mind slavery" just ain't that important, perhaps. That would be a preoccupation of the more spiritually/religious minded.

Anyway, the raw diet is a big challenge for me and whenever I'm challenged a spiritual component is apparent to me. That may just be a peculiarity unique to me. I doubt it, but maybe. And I don't want to make too much of conscious diets role in spirituality because its just a part, and maybe a relatively small part at that.

Thanks to all of you for your contributions.

khale

Date: April 21, 2007 02:03PM

I chanced upon this just now while searching for the symbolic significance of the direction "northeast". (If anyone has any info on this please share)

"Traditional peoples tend towards what we would refer to as a metaphysical interpretation of life, an interpretation that precedes and goes beyond external perception. Cosmos, which means "order" in Greek, presupposes an underlying intelligence in an ordered universe and a unity of existence. This unity always has an inner as well as an outer aspect, hidden as well as manifest, one reflected in the other. The goal is always to unite inner and outer into an inseparable integrity."

That's what I've been trying to say.

khale

Date: April 22, 2007 04:30AM

khale Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Awareness is key. and I believe that too much food
> in general, and too much non-foods specifically
> keep us in a fog so that we forget who we really
> are. Eating raw and lightly strengthens our
> capacity for awareness so that we can begin to see
> what's really going on, and then gives us the
> energy and endurance to actually act on behalf of
> the "higher powers".
>
> Ancient spiritual traditions have taught that the
> body must be prepared sufficiently to handle the
> enormous power inherent in spiritual "light". the
> stronger the vessel, the more spiritual grace or
> power it can hold. all of us here have the
> potential to become ever brighter beacons of light
> in a dark world desperately in need of it. I'm not
> talking of anything fancy or mind-blowing here.
> Just a genuine smile from a happy heart can start
> changes in the person who encounters it.
>
Beautifully said. Unfortunately when we turn raw and change our lives we loose track where we came from and become totally intolerant of those who are still eating non raw or SAD. We forget that we had accomplished great things too when we were not raw. A true spiritual being should be compassionate, understanding and supportive of those who have not found the same way or who have chosen a different path. The choice they made is right for them at that time in their lives and we as raw are not necessarly more spiritual. Spirituality is in the heart.

Posted by: brian1cs ()
Date: April 22, 2007 11:15AM

Is this the same Djatchi speaking here??? The one who is barely tolerant of fruitarians eating habits and lose no opportunity in telling them so?? Hmmm.. must have undergone a spiritual transformation.

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: April 22, 2007 03:51PM

I agree that the previous diet (both physilogically and karmically) presents somewhat of a ball and chain in this respect. but yes of course a large presentage of those contributing spirtually both past and present have not been raw...or vegan. and not to say they would have been enabled to acess to a higher spiritual sense (could be)..but possibly that problems manifested physically blocked energy that could be put towards spirituality or that led to the deterioration of their organism in this life prematurally.

Just think about all the artists, scientisits, musicanians that impacted you and had truely spiritual motivations for their work...quite a pattern there of bodily and mental distress.

Of course people are able to overcome their physical as well as spirtual obstructions without a cleansing diet as well (like that Beautiful Mind guy), but that is yet a another discussion. you just do what works and what frees you at that momement to pursue more.

Posted by: Dulset ()
Date: April 22, 2007 05:55PM

I believe many of us experience spiritual growth on a raw diet because in the begining especially we are giving up a eating based on instant gratification. When you do something for reasons other than for instant gratification or non selfish, self loving reasons it always follows that you grow in positive ways. And I believe that spiritual growth is limitless.

Date: April 23, 2007 12:54PM

Spiritual practice, to me, involves the pursuit of harmony in body, soul or spirit, and mind. If one of these areas of life are out of whack the others can not maintain harmony either. I think the Raw diet can be uniquely spiritual. Much more so than a diet taken solely for losing weight or even lowering blood pressure and etc. because it draws out the whole person and engages all of our faculties in our efforts to maintain it.

"The goal of alchemical art is to bring matter from an incomplete condition into a state of perfection through purification." Hajo Banzhaf

Is this not the goal of the all raw diet as well? as well as all the other "health practices" most of us engage in?

In the effort to "purify" our bodies, our entire lives are transformed as well. In my mind this makes the Raw diet a quintessential spiritual practice, EVEN IF the individual is not consciously engaged on a spiritual level. I believe that being conscious of the process as having spiritual components enriches the experience and gives MEANING beyond the merely physical goals sought, and the pursuit of "meaning" in life is what most spiritual seekers are seeking, no? Nevertheless, the process is apparently a natural one and so those who embark on Raw receive the spiritual benefits regardless of whether or not they consciously set out to. Just my take on it.

Alchemy can be understood as the pursuit of a "high measure of balance" or "the right mixture". Harmony, balance, composure and peace of mind are some of its characteristics. These would not be considered physical goals and yet those who pursue an all raw diet very frequently mention qualities such as these; spiritual qualities, as a byproduct of the diet.

For me personally, a spiritual component is necessary in keeping me motivated and inspired as I transition to raw. The physical component is not enough. I don't intend to argue with anyone about my next statement, but, I see too many people eating much more moderate diets, getting plenty of exercise and maintaining happiness in their daily lives who are showing abundant health to believe that its absolutely essential to go 100% raw in order to be healthy.

I think there is more to it than that. More to the raw diet I mean. There's a breaking away from the predominate "spirit of the times" and the predominate culture in which we live. There is a sense in which we serve as couriers of a new age and are actively pursuing "values" that are certainly not mainstream at this time. All of this suggests a spiritual component that does not have to be called that to be affective and effectively experienced within our lives.

khale

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: April 23, 2007 01:09PM

The Buddhists have the right idea according to Alan Watts. It's called the Dharma.....translated as the 'Law', better translated as the 'Method'. Living on any Special Diet (be it Liquid, Raw Vegan, 8-1-1, Fruit Only, Greens Only, or any combination thereof) could be classified as the Dharma and therefore is "Spiritual"........WY

Posted by: elover6 ()
Date: April 23, 2007 03:08PM

Just greatful I can just post with devric, oh knower of all things I bow to you lol. Thats a way to devide humanity one more time on the basis of having to be right so basque in yore glory budy this world is the byproduct of that kind of thinking. We are all on different transitions of new to spiritual practice to long time seeker and I welcome you brothers and sisters no matter what you believe Ohmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I love the quote "I'm an atheist, thank God!"

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables