Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Raw cacao nibs?
Posted by: ReneeK ()
Date: April 21, 2007 03:59AM

I'm going to admit, I'm completely clueless. Are they eaten like a snack straight from the jar? I've had plain baking chocolate powder before and it tasted pretty dog-goned bitter so I'm hesitant to order any. At the same time, I'm really curious about cacao. (What woman wouldn't be? <<LOL>>winking smiley

On this page, choosing from among the nibs, spread, or sauce, which would you buy? [www.oraganic.com]

Grazie amici!

Proud to be a tandem breastfeeding, cosleeping, mei tai wearing, natural/homebirthing, cloth diapering, never spanking, non-circumcising mama to two wonderful little leeches. Baby Boy '04, Baby girl '06. :-)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw cacao nibs?
Posted by: jono ()
Date: April 21, 2007 04:04AM

i've always wanted to try a fresh raw cacao bean... but not much interested in anything else.

Date: April 21, 2007 04:07AM

Hmm.. It's almost $20 to try the raw nibs. The problem is, what if they're terrible? I don't want to waste $20. That would buy a few yummy kiwis and apples at the organic store in town. :-)

Maybe another website has a better deal on nibs and I (we) can try them from there.

Renee

Proud to be a tandem breastfeeding, cosleeping, mei tai wearing, natural/homebirthing, cloth diapering, never spanking, non-circumcising mama to two wonderful little leeches. Baby Boy '04, Baby girl '06. :-)

Date: April 21, 2007 04:16AM

[livesuperfoods.com]

Well, look at that. Much better price for those of us who aren't sure we'll like cacao nibs. I'm going to order some before May, because that's when I'm going 100% raw. Oh yeah!

Posted by: miaculpa ()
Date: April 21, 2007 04:24AM

raw nibs are kinda bitter, like coffee beans. Intense chocolate flavor. Eat out of hand with a sweet fruit if you like coffee beans. Blend/powder for shakes and brownies.

Warning- They kinda make you have to 'go'. Also, my middle son, who is prone to coldsores, broke out with 2 this morning after eating a dehydrator pan full of brownies. There's high argnine content in chocolate and this is REALLLYYY CHOCOLATE.

Posted by: abc123tyler ()
Date: April 21, 2007 06:31AM

I would stick to the "normal" fruit. There is big controversy surrounding "raw chocolate" and the cacao plant, whether it should be eaten. I have found people who eat raw cacao defend it much like addicts defend their coffee, alcohol/wine, regular chocolate choices.

I think the stimulating effect of cacao should make you question what is doing this? I stay on the safe side as always... maybe I'm wrong who knows

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: April 21, 2007 11:47AM

Cacao nibs on their own do taste a bit bitter, although I like the flavour of the whole beans with skin better.

Definatly something to eat with a sweet fruit or make into smoothies or chocolate bars.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: khale ()
Date: April 21, 2007 11:59AM

ReneeK Wrote:

I'm
> going to order some before May, because that's
> when I'm going 100% raw. Oh yeah!

Reneek, pakd4fun and I are going all raw (for the first time) starting Monday, May 14. we are planning to invite anyone on this forum who has not yet gone 100%, or who has at one time but has since gone back to cooked, to join us in a 7 week "trial" much like Gosia's trial with 80/10/10. The big difference will be that there will be no hard and fast guidelines except that the diet be 100% raw. Each individual will be free to fashion the diet as they choose; posting their daily food intake and noting issues, difficulties, joys and etc. as we go.

We'd love for you to join us! (and, of course, anyone else reading this)

khale

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: April 21, 2007 02:27PM

I convinced a friend to buy a package of cacao nibs awhile back, and she and her boyfriend HATED them, so she gave them to me. I'm not addicted, but I do love them. I buy them about 3 times a year, and I love to take them on my camping trips, because they keep so well. I don't notice any strong effects one way or another-- negative or positive. I just think they taste good, right out of the bag, and maybe I get a little tiny buzz from them. Wouldn't make them a regular part of my diet though-- not worth it.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: April 21, 2007 03:02PM

Well, maybe I will try the bag. I've never been addicted to anything before, let's say I had coffee every day for a month, one the 31st day I could go without coffee and think nothing of it. Blending into a shake or eating a small snack with fruit as a rare treat sounds nice.

Posted by: learningtofly ()
Date: April 21, 2007 03:31PM

My opinion:

Cacao nibs are toxic.

They are bitter and the taste must be masked with something sweet to make them palatable for most people.

If you have no other stimulants in your diet (no spices or salt or anything else that stimulates the nervous system) and eat cacao nibs, they will have a strong amphetamine effect. This is the "truth" of cacao.

JMO.

Date: April 21, 2007 05:41PM

What about vegan (non raw) milk chocolate? I forgot the name, but there's a really delicious brand at the local organic shop. Would it have the same stimulant effect as plain raw nibs, do you think? :-) I'm not being snarky, I really want an honest opinion.

Renee

Posted by: earthangel ()
Date: April 21, 2007 09:02PM

hey there...i don't think the milk chocolate will have the same effect because it has been cooked and altered and the high antioxidants are cooked out of them and then the sugar is added and other things that lessen the effects...that is why it tastes so different from it's natural source....and if you are looking for some chocolate that is good before going 100% raw that is still yummy and good for you but may not be completely raw...natalie rose says anything that is 70% dark chocolate is good..she recomends the dark chocolate from organic green and black brand...and dogoba...so you will probably find those at your organic store...but milk chocolate has a lot of sugar and heating and far away from the natural state!!!

and hmm well the raw cacoa nibs and beans...i have both and the powder..i didn't get them until the other day.and have been raw since january 24 of this year.....i didn't love them when i first tried them....but the other day i took a bowl of the beans and froze them...with nothing else just beans and today i tasted them and loved them..they were a frozen yummy thing...they are really bitter and i think you hve to adjust your taste to them..especially if you are used to sweetened things....and the nibs are powerfully bitter as well...but they aren't as intesnse since they nibs and not beans so they are easier to eat....they are yummy in smoothies...either beans or nibs...they don't grind all the way so i found they give it a crunchy flavor.....and my girl from work said it reminds her of like an orea smoothie or blizzard with the little crunch!! so i hope this helps you some!! good luck and go for it and buy a bag and if you don't like it oh well but at least you tried it haha!!! check out your farmers market too...because i know here in san diego our farmers market has a cacao bean stand with raw cacoa and they have samples...so you could taste it before even purchasing it!!!!!
good luck
hope i hlepd you some
love earth angel
xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Posted by: fuzzysox ()
Date: April 21, 2007 09:41PM

OMGAW!! all i can say is BUY THE COCOA!!! it is sooooooo
soooooooooooo worth it you can read up on all its health benefits and antioxidants and watnot on rawfood.com and look up their cocoa products itll tell u all kinds of stuff about it,, its insane how good the stuff is 4 u!! mwaaaaaah!! hehe
you really got 2 try this stuff it is soo fantastically delicious, it really gets your mood up, and it may be bitter all on its own (tho i like it alone grinning smiley) but just 2 get used 2 it you can mix it with bananas, yumm, berries, make little date bars,, oh gojis and berries, omgar good!! lol youll probably be like it right away tho its amazing its deffinately deffinately worth buying it :]] hav fun!!

Date: April 22, 2007 12:08AM

Anything that sparks such a reaction^ raises questions in my mind. Not to say anything bad about/to you fussysox.

Posted by: fuzzysox ()
Date: April 22, 2007 12:29AM

lol i hav depression and that stuff is loaded with seratonin so it makes me feel happy ^ obviously haha but the stuff is good for you, its not a drug lol,but it does sound like it up there haha, ita a very nutrient rich, antioxidant rich food i would try it before i really made any judgement on it tho

Posted by: earthangel ()
Date: April 22, 2007 03:49AM

yes that is true but it is a natural high and makes you feel like you are speed some have said....so many raw fooders don't recommend it but a couple times a year...because of the natural caffeine like effect....so i can see each person's side....i just listend to alisa cohen and she is just another person to add to the liste of long term raw foodies who think it is bad....
so good luck and hope whatever you choose works for you...which is really what this is all about...a raw journey for you!!
love earthangel
xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Date: April 22, 2007 04:10AM

honestly, I am not all that keen on them straight. They are okay, but I do not crave them. I found that carob included in the mix improves the taste of smoothies and recipes for me...however, I can see how people would love em. I am more partial to vanilla bean concoctions.

If I could find a way to make a raw creme not-brulee, I would be in heaven.

Mia

Posted by: the enchantress ()
Date: April 22, 2007 05:17AM

I'm not a huge fan of the cacao nibs, but I also haven't experimented with them much. I did put them in trail mix with raisins, goji berries, and some seeds though, and it was pretty good. Try mixing up your own concoction!

Date: April 23, 2007 02:38AM

I say this because my naturalist doctor with a masters in biochemistry and is very knowledgeable plainly said not to eat "raw cacao." He said it is from an unedible tree/plant that you would simply never eat in nature, ever.

So I don't eat it... and wont ever.

Sorry to crash the party.

Date: April 23, 2007 03:06AM

I had raw peanuts the other day and almost vomited.

They tasted NOTHING like the peanuts I remember...unroasted, they tasted like some raw tuber (which I know they are).

Mia

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: April 23, 2007 08:41AM

abc123tyler Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I say this because my naturalist doctor with a
> masters in biochemistry and is very knowledgeable
> plainly said not to eat "raw cacao." He said it
> is from an unedible tree/plant that you would
> simply never eat in nature, ever.

I know people who have eaten the cacao fruit and tell me it is delicious. Definatly something you would eat if it was growing in your back yard.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: Frannie ()
Date: April 23, 2007 09:40AM

Below is a part of what I just posted in the -transform yourself in 12 weeks trial phase- thread:

Up until Saturday evening this is what I ate and I felt great all week. I already noticed a difference. I had more energy and felt brighter/more alert and happier.

Then came Saturday evening.After working on the market all day, drinking wheatgrass juice and resisting all the raw nuts (and especially those tempting macadamia's) on our stall and eating dates instead I dropped in on the Chocolate Club. A group of friends organises these parties each month with a DJ,raw savoury/sweet snacks, a raw dinner and drinks made with goji berries, E3live and raw chocolate with things like gold added. I love these parties, there is no smoking or alcohol or drugs and it introduces a lot of people to the concept of raw food in a fun atmosphere. Anyway, when I got there my friend Iris, who makes the most delicious raw chocolate goodies and cakes, gave me a plate with some of her latest creations to try and although I was hesitant to eat them after eating so light and clean all week I didn't want to upset her by refusing. It felt ok so I had a chocolate drink with some added gold as well. All of this seemed to sit really well and I had a lovely evening. I was also pleased with myself for not eating any of the gourmet raw food there. I brought an orange and some celery instead.

Then came Sunday and I didn't feel so good anymore. I was hungover,tired and dehydrated and in the evening I had a headache. My skin looked tired and more wrinkled. I decided to eat very lightly, just a green smoothie and two oranges and went to bed early. So that's it, no more chocolate for me. Next time I'll just have water or an E3 live drink.

Francis

Date: April 23, 2007 03:05PM

Funky Rob Wrote:
> abc123tyler Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I say this because my naturalist doctor with a
> > masters in biochemistry and is very
> knowledgeable
> > plainly said not to eat "raw cacao." He said
> it
> > is from an unedible tree/plant that you would
> > simply never eat in nature, ever.
>
> I know people who have eaten the cacao fruit and
> tell me it is delicious. Definatly something you
> would eat if it was growing in your back yard.
>
> Rob

Dr. T
"You are right to be skeptical about cacao, which is a fad produced by
the raw food marketers to create addictive behavior that leads to a
steady stream of income... it is the bitter, non-edible seed of a
sweet tropical fruit - and in Nature no humans would ever consider
eating it! It's easy enough to blend the hell out of it (together with
another non-food, agave "nectar"winking smiley to make it an addictive chocolate
smoothie that stimulates the central nervous system and harms the
stomach, liver, kidneys, endocrine system, and causes increased
metabolic toxicity (plus loss of nutrients/minerals)."

I meant the seed..not the plant/tree, whoops.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: April 23, 2007 03:26PM

Frannie Wrote:

> and raw chocolate with things like gold added.

It felt ok so I had
> a chocolate drink with some added gold as well.

sorry frannie you didnt feel too good ... what do you mean by Gold was added? like powdered gold leaf? im kinda curious because my dad crafted with goldleafing for years and years .. pure goldleaf is a bit pricey but there is alot of cheap(er) versions out there that contain who knows what , my dad used masks when using some of the cheaper stuff because of lead/aluminimum contents in it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2007 03:31PM by Jgunn.

Date: April 23, 2007 08:20PM

Hi Jgunn,

I'm not sure if the gold that was added was in powder form or liquid.
I have just started experimenting with etherium gold powder, which I bought from Shazzie's website and I've been reading on the internet about white powder gold.
It's supposed to help balance the left and right brain sides which I find quite intriguing.

Posted by: love ()
Date: April 23, 2007 11:55PM

I love cacao nibs! You just have to eat a little bit at first though. I have seen people eat to much of them when they have never eaten them before, and they get some side effects. Some people do. So start with just a little, and then increase your intake if you want!

Love to all!

Posted by: zenpawn ()
Date: April 23, 2007 11:58PM

Frannie, are you sure it wasn't the higher fat in the chocolate goodies?

-Erin
Raw Done Light
dogma-free RAW
Gazpacho For The Soul

Date: April 24, 2007 08:19AM

It's possible zenpawn that it was the higher fat in the chocolate goodies. The only way I can find out for sure would be for me to blend some raw cacao into something not fatty, like a banana smoothie and see how I feel after that. I am going sailing with the Chocolate Club next Sunday so maybe I'll experiment with chocolate one more time. It's not that I particularly want to be able to eat chocolate, it's more that I would like to find out if I could have had such a strong reaction to fat after only one week of eating no fat. So if I turn myself into a chocolate guinea pig on Sunday I'll report back with the result.

Francis

Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: April 24, 2007 10:44AM

i don't like them. they make me feel really good, then bad. like high then a crash. it's almost like drinking coffee (with more mild effects).

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables