Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

people eat bugs
Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: April 22, 2007 08:09AM

I postthis because of a post in here about the Boutenko's saying that people are like monkeys and monkeys eat fruit, greens and insects..

My mom said when she and my dad went to Paraguay, to study indians, he was anthropologist, she said they saw tribes with no clothes and they ate worms that were in rotten trees. She said it tasted like shrimp. They ate other stuff of course too, but I think that is kind of like monkeys. I remember on here, I rudely said, humans are not monkeys, boy i was wrong, we are, under circumstances

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2007 08:23AM by coconutcream.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: people eat bugs
Posted by: life101 ()
Date: April 22, 2007 08:15PM

CC,

There are some people that are likened to animals because of their behavior, not only in their eating habits. The Aborigines in Australia eat a wood larva. Personally, I would not willingly eat an insect. I've was offered chocolate covered ants when I was in high school and I refused. At that time, I was SAD.

Also, if you look at the events that occurred in New Orleans with the flooding, you will see the animalistic behavior of those people that robbed, stole, raped, killed, defecated in public areas, etc.

Therese

Posted by: jono ()
Date: April 22, 2007 10:07PM

ive seen those things... the juice white larvae in rotting trees... i saw some nature show with natives eating them... they actually looked quite tasty, like i wanted to try them. i ate a few ants as a kid - not bad, kinda spicy.

Date: April 23, 2007 03:05AM

hahahah yukky, the fat worms? eww, anywqays these indians, who live in the woods, with nothing but a few leaves, i MEAN, THAT IS cool, I think..imagine, climbing trees and stuff. I asked my mom, and she said they throw meat over a fire, like fish and stuff..

Posted by: fuzzysox ()
Date: April 23, 2007 03:52AM

lol were not monkeys wen we look at a bug like a worm, or a catarpillar, or butterfly, or watever they deffinately dont look appealing ppl just eat those things bc they have been a staple in their diet for a long time, and they probably started eating them bc when there was a drought and they ran out of produce
ewww squishy worm guts gross people!!

Posted by: jono ()
Date: April 23, 2007 04:12AM

eating mangrove worms: [www.medskul.com]

these actually look kinda gross, but i remember seeing some show on PBS where natives harvested these plump juicy white grubs from a rotting tree and they really looked like they would be tasty and wholesome.

Posted by: miaculpa ()
Date: April 23, 2007 04:20AM

oh come on...people eat bugs all the time. In Mexico and in the Phillipinnes, locusts are eaten. It is also in the old testament and, unlike shellfish, were ok to eat according to (I think) Leviticus. My mother says locusts (grasshoppers) are sweet and sour.

Crustaceans (like crabs and lobsters), which some humans love to eat, are like bugs with their extoskeletons.

Asians eat all sorts of bugs, google it. When the cicadas were out, they even had recipes all over the net for ways to cook them.

Akuna Matata...they must be 'slimey, yet satisfying' for some.

Someone I know told me the white worms they used for fishing had a sort of popcorn taste.

When I was a kid, way back in the 70s, Organic Gardening magazine used to talk about bug eating all the time.

Having lived and worked in the Third World, I can say that people will eat whatever they can get their hands on, just so they can survive.

We are DAMNED FORTUNATE, here is the West, to be able to pick and choose what we WANT to eat. Others who are more disadvantaged don't have it so good.

Mia

Date: April 23, 2007 06:14PM

you are right. I mean, we can eat anything, people are out there that even eat metal and glass..then there are the mud eaters, clay..

Posted by: miaculpa ()
Date: April 23, 2007 06:51PM

When I was pregnant with my oldest son, years ago, I experience true Pica (cravings for non-food). I was living far from where I was raised, in Montreal, Canada. The landscape there is quite rocky and not sandy at all. I was born and grew up in the Great Lakes region--which is quite sandy. Needless to say, I actually started to crave SAND so badly that I would look at kiddie sand boxes and DROOL. I could taste it in my mouth, it was so intense the craving. My only explanation, in retrospect, that I can come up with is that I was lacking some nutrient that I was used to having in my drinking water/food. I grew up eating home grown veggies and wild foods, so my tastebuds at that time were highly tied to the soil.

Mia

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: April 23, 2007 11:06PM

Hi Life101,

"you will see the animalistic behavior of those people that robbed, stole, raped, killed, defecated in public areas, etc."

I don't what you descibe is animalistic behavior!

Ian.

Date: April 25, 2007 07:33AM

Miaculpa that is strange, My mom had that but for pizza and chicken wings and my sister was born cross eyed. funny, I know raw foodists who get pregnant and I find supermarket bread stashes

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables