Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Clear skin and healthy hair thread
Posted by: love ()
Date: April 22, 2007 03:55PM

Hello everybody!

I thought I would make a thread on skin and hair, and what foods effect them in different ways.

I am 17 years old, and I have never had a lot of acne. Just a pimple every once in a while. But now, I am more raw, and it seems they come a little more lately. I am thinking that maybe it is wheat. I have been eating sprouted wheat, like manna bread and sprouted torillas. So, I am not quite sure. I am not 100% raw. I just eat a lot of raw food.

With the hair. I started overeating raw recipes and dehydrated recipes (because I was underweight), and not food combining at all. And almost half of my hair fell out! Well, my hair is growing in lovely now! Thank you to myself! I was just wondering what people have experienced with food and hair?

This could be a hair and skin thread! Share your experiences please!

Thank you!

Love to all!

love

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Clear skin and healthy hair thread
Date: April 22, 2007 03:56PM

I hope I put this in the right section! Did I?

Love to all!

Posted by: fuzzysox ()
Date: April 22, 2007 06:34PM

hey chica im 17 to :] i used 2 have that problem,, the solution is fat, eat more good fats,llike avos, and nuts and cocoa, and flax, theyre all so good 4 u and yor skin, i hav cystic acne and it helps soo much, also stuff like sprout mix helps, but the fats help the most, i started eating lots of fats, and good carbs and my hair is thick and nice now also, hehe :p and yor acne is prolly frum the wheat, lotsof ppl r allergic 2 wheat and gluten and all that stuff, and dont even recognise it, like itll b small things like acne, or feeling bloated, or sluggish, id try laying off of it for a while, plus obviously antioxidant rich fruits and veggies make your skin look great, fruits like bluberries, cantaloupe, kiwi, cherries, raspberries,blackberries, strawberries, pomegranite (soo good 4 u) ascai (uber great for skin) gojis, dark lettuces, peppers(like bell peppers if u dont like spicy) sprouts, mushrooms, asparagus, u get the picture lol, all this stuf helps soooo so much, esp the superfoods like cocoa, spirulina, and ascai they are like miracle foods grinning smiley hehe s i hope this helps good luck!

Date: April 22, 2007 07:01PM

Thank you fuzzysox! Wow, you are 17 too? Are you all raw? How long have you been eating raw food for? What kind of "good carbs" do you eat? Huh, I am asking lots of questions! I hope you don't mind! I really do suspect the wheat causing breakouts! I always have beautiful skin, and barley any breakouts. And lately like I said I have been eating more sprouted grains. Like manna bread (which is full of wheat), it is so good! So that is one reason why I am wondering what you mean by "good carbs", does this mean fruit? Wheat has been SO SO SO messed with! Probably more then anything else. It's not supposed to be a natural made grain. I will stick to sprouted spelt, kamut, buckwheat, etc. No more wheat! Thank you!

What is a days food intake for you?

Thank you again!

Love to all!

Date: April 22, 2007 07:45PM

lol i dont mind, im kindof a healthfood freak(dork) :p hehe ive been raw on and off for 4 months, but ive been 100% for like 3 weeks, prolly 2 of the 4 months i was 100% raw, haha not that long! but ive always been interested in alternative health/ medicine since i was 13, so ive been studying 4 awhile, so i kno sum stuff, hmm so ya the wheat is prolly wat is doing it, and ur so right it has been messed with ALOT, i dont think nebody should eat it but sum ppl like 2,,yahh i would stick with the older grains like kamut, quinoa, spelt, oats those are probably ok :] ogaw i kno where u r coming frum with the manna bread, i used 2 b addicted 2 that stuff!! lol but yah i dont think its good 4 u,, but u can always substitute it with dehydrated recipes like oat brownies, flax crackers, blah blah,, i dont really eat ne of that stuff tho, i just keep it simple right now cuz thats wat my body wants so ok heres wat i eat usually all the time lol my body just really likes this stuff right now

3 or 4 apples, 3 kiwis like alot of pineapple

3 biig spinach or spring mix salads with avocado( like one a day) peppers, oliv oil, italian herbs, tomatoe, cucumber, red onion garlic, and bean sprouts (they sell them in a container alreay sprouted at the health food store) and sum sea salt and applecider vinegar, or raw redwine vinegar(yah they hav it!! so kool)lol

and umm like mixed berries with raw cocoa nibs and powder , gojis and flax seed

haha ya maybe a little od on the fat,, but fat is good for you, the lowfat fad is in, but itll come and go, fat helps with lots of things, it helps you feel more full, it makes your skin gorgeous, it lubricates yor insides, it helps with brain function, in fact fats like coconut oil help speed up meabolism grinning smiley
hmm ya but i just keep it simple cuz food combining usually ends up making me feel sick, and u can see by how muchi eat i deffinately get enough carbs lol, carbs are in fruit, and nuts and sprouts, and most of the calories are in the flax, and oliv oil and avos,, but i dont really think about that stuff really i just eat lots, and it still works, yor body will tell u wat it needs, sorry for blabbing so much i hope this helps!! and if ur stil having skin probs look into those superfoods, they have high orac(oxygen radical absorbtion capacity) scores, like super high , which means they really help illiminate free radicals, which can cause acne so eat those things and itll help TONS! hehe
the highest ones are
ascai, raw cocoa, and dark berries, o ya and pumpkin seeds help sooo much with acne!

good luck i hope this helps!! :]]

Date: April 22, 2007 07:56PM

o yah and make sure u eat organic as much as can! if u didnt already kno that lol, which u prollydo,, try and avoid conventional produce bc they do all kinds of @#$%& 2 it stuff u wouldnt believe, they go as far as radiating it, and they dont even tell u9theres a label for it but they only show the distributors, not the consumers!!) its crazy so ya lol

Date: April 22, 2007 09:32PM

Thank you fuzzysox!

I know to eat organic, though sometimes I admit I do eat a little bit of conventional produce! Ooop's!

I eat lots of cacao, it is great! I eat spirulina, wolfberries, bee pollen, blue green algae, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, coconut oil, aloe vera juice, lettuce, cucumbers, bell peppers, broccoli, cabbage, buckwheat, kamut, spelt, agave, garlic, garbonzo beans, apple cider vinager, beets, carrots, carob powder, celery, cilantro, parsley, kale, mixed greens, almonds, walnuts, dried apricots, avocados, olive oil, coconuts, dried coconuts, brazil nuts, flax seeds, flax oil, and I am sure a more that I didn't mention right here. That is most of the raw stuff. I do eat cooked food too, but I feel really good eating a lot of raw food. I ate popcorn with nutritional yeast and brewer's yeast the day before yesterday (oh with olive oil, garlic, and salt too) and I felt like poo. I do good on like cooked beans, grains, veggies sometimes. But since this is a raw food forum I don't think I shoudl talk too much about cooked food!

That doesn't seem like a lot of fat to me. Unless you like smother your stuff with olive oil. But that is great too! How much flax seed and olive oil do you eat? I usually eat about 2-3 TLBP. a day of flax seed. It helps things move through too. If you knwo what I mean.

Did you say that food combining makes you sick, or when you don't combine your foods?

How is honey for acne? I tried it last night and a big white head came up! Maybe it was pulling the toxins out? Hmm.

I am really into health too! That is great! I know coconut oil is great! I have also heard that you should mix it with your flax seed and eat them at the same time because it helps your body absorb the omega 3's and some other stuff. Or trasfer them or something. Coconut oil is also great for releasing candida or fungus!

Do you exercise? I do.

It is great I met someone my age that is into this cool stuff!

Thank you!

Love to all!

Date: April 23, 2007 11:48PM

I think it was the wheat. I found out that wheat doesn't sprout tails either! Spelt and the other grains do!

Love to all!

Posted by: bronwynsun ()
Date: April 24, 2007 01:16PM

hey girls, do either of you have msn messenger? if you do, add me!
justbronwyn@hotmail.com

i'm an 18 and a raw food girl...i'd love to talk about this stuff with others who understand it! grinning smiley

Posted by: silverundertone ()
Date: April 24, 2007 02:54PM

one summer..when i was 16 (im 19 now) i ate almost nothing but fruit and veggies..and my hair had never looked better.

..it looks like crap now as a result of my lifestyle for the last year or so.. (too much alcohol..cigarettes...not eating enough..etc)
im hoping it will get better as i try to take better care of myself......

Date: April 24, 2007 03:03PM

hey love, lol that souds weird, it is so awsome 2 meet other raw teens yayness!!lol:p wat u eat sounds really good!! it prolly was the wheat, your intuition was right,, dont worry about eating inorganic foods, i eat them 2 wen i run out of money, i just try 2 find the best ones, er the safest least sprayed with pesticides and radiation ones, sheesh lol,,

u can talk about cooked food lol, not everybody on here eats 100% raw, and i dont see why anyone should hav a problem with u talking about eating sum cooked food, i dont, but its rolly not so great 4 u if its making u feel sick :]

o ya i eat the same amount of flax as you, and tons of olive oil, and avocado on top of that lol, i just love the fats, but theyre good for you and i dont worry about it,, plus sumtimes wen i binge on them the next day ill way even less than the day b4,, how do u explain that!? lol i guess my body just gotsta hav it!:p

omgaw i heard honey is really good for acne, especially if u put it on externally like in some sort of face scrub,, ive never tried that,, but when i first started going raw, i went through 2 huge jars of honey in like a week!! ya i kno, but i didnt kno anything about it being good 4 acne, weird huh? :]] i kno its not a vegan product, but i dont believe it hurts the bees, so i use it,,i wunna try it as a facial thing, like make my own face scrub lol i hav no idea how 2 do that

yah food combining usually dosent make me feel so great, i mean like extreme combining, like ill combine flax with berries and maybe cocoa, and i feel fine,, but usually wen i combine nuts with nething i feel sick

o yes i knew that coconut was good 4 candida and fungus, thatss so kool right! haaha:p but i didnt kno that you should combune it with flax im gunna start doing that! but yah it does help anything you mix with it absorb waay better

i do exercise, wen i dont feel depressed,, im trying 2 get over stupid depression, so actually i havent exercised in a month, yah i kno baad :[[[, but i usually just walk 6 miles, cuz theres nuthing else 2 do around here!! my bike is broken and i hav no car,, sucks,, so wat do u do 4 exercise??

Date: April 24, 2007 03:08PM

hey brownysun i would put u on but i only hav yahoo,, can i still im u tho lol i dunno...?

hey silverundertone im glad ur trying 2 get better again :],, which fruits and veggies did u eat the most of

Posted by: ferg ()
Date: April 24, 2007 03:14PM

Hi Love,

I have been raw about a year now... I am not sure if you eat a lot of nuts but the one thing I have found is that when I eat too many nuts, I break out (this includes raw almond butter) when I cut down on nut fats my complexion is beautiful... I don't have a problem with other fats, ie., avocado, coconut oil or raw cheeses, I can eat as much as I want. It's only nuts that make me break out.

I experienced hair loss when I first went raw... this lasted about 6 months; hair coming out in clumps. I think this is a sign of detox. I still loose some hairs but its normal to loose about 100 hairs a day, raw or not. My hair is shiny and full of body.

Cheers,
Ferg.

Date: April 24, 2007 03:52PM

..i mostly ate pears, plums, oranges, bananas and apples. as far as veggies go...mostly carrots and avocado. at the time i was trying to get over some eating disorder stuff...and eating just fruits and veggies not only made my hair and skin healthy, it also helped me think more clearly about the whole concept of eating..and how what i do or dont eat affects my body and mind.

Date: April 24, 2007 08:47PM

bronwynsun, hey! I have yahoo. Hmm. We all could e-mail? Or keep chatting on here? Thank you!

silverundertone, thank you! No fats huh?

fuzzysox, nice to see you again! Or here from your typing again?! Ha! I like to exercise. Just got to make sure you don't get obsesssed with it, cause it makes you feel great! But too much does not. I like to ride the bike. I do pilates, pushups, tricep pushups, yoga, dancing, rebounder, sometimes elliptical. This is of course not every day! I usually switch between all of those! I have been working my inner thighs. That makes me happy! I eat before I workout though. Cross training is great! How does the fat make you feel? I am expeamneting with it, to see how I feel. I know a lot of raw fooder's like fruit. But, that is not for me right now. My body loves the greens a and vegetables and fat and legumes and beans and so on right now! Okay, well I didn't know if it would be okay to talk about cooked food on here because some forums are very strict about that. But I guess this one is cool! I like that!

Why are you depressed? I guess that is a weird question huh? I food combine now! I feel so much better when I do and my skin and hair are so much better when I food combine more too! I have been eating some green smoothies without fruit in them, but I think they give me gas?! Uh oh! I may just have to eat my greens in salad and see how that goes! I just put flax, agave, cacao, carob, sometimes spirulina, sometimes physlluim husk, greens, cucumber, and sometimes celery or some other green thing. I wonder why this would make me fart? oh, I do sometimes or a lot of the time put coconut oil in there too!

It sounds like you don't eat any cooked? How do you feel? Do you live alone? Or with family?

ferg, thank you! I should try this! Do you mean you can eat all the oils, coconuts, and avocados you want and you still don't break out? What kind of raw cheese is it? Is it real cheese? How do yu feel when you eat it? What have you noticed helps (in terms of food, fat, fruit, greens, etc.) your hair growth and just your hair the most?

Thank you all of you!

This could be a chatting thread? Or we could e-mail? Or open up a chatting thread for raw teens?

Love to all!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2007 08:52PM by love.

Posted by: abc123tyler ()
Date: April 24, 2007 11:26PM

Not to scold, but this is a VEGAN forum. No animal products please smiling smiley

Date: April 25, 2007 02:06AM

Who said animal products? What is a animal product that we mentioned? Oop's was that raw cheese? Sorry! I knew it. I felt somethin' weird. It was the cheese, not the cooked food!?

Love to all!

Date: April 25, 2007 02:12AM

its alright!! sheesh tyler, wat ru the vegan police

Date: April 25, 2007 02:30AM

lol i prolly shouldnt hav said that^
wats up love, wow you your exercise sounds soo fun! i want 2 do hatha yoga soo bad!
i wish i could do all that stuff it sounds awsome grinning smiley i wunna get back started in gymnastics, i love it! i used 2 do it 4 five years but then i quit :[ man i guess i sortof have 2 eat before i work out, cuz if i dont i feel really lightheaded, like fainting lol, pathetic ya i kno,,, i went through the same stage as you, i didnt really like anyfruit besides like apples and pears, but i loved the greens and i wanted 2 eat beans so bad but i didnt hav ne raw so i just ate those sprouts,, but i think the beans help alot with hair growth, koolness right, yor body knos wat it needs,,youll like fruits soon prbabaly,and youll probably want the beans less, your taste buds start 2 change and all of a sudden a pineapple and a mango will look yummayness :]

o im depressed from alot of stuff, chemically, and other stuff, but alot of ppl in my family have depression and all that fun crap, but im slowly getting better, raw has helped sooo much, i think im going on depression detox lol, if thats possible,idk

lol all that food combining is making u fart, maybe u should combine less things,like only mix 3 or 4 things instead of 10 maybe thatll help :p

i live with my parents its watever thats all i can say, im 100% raw and loving it!!! yeeeaaaa!! lol except for the horrible cravings, but theyre slowly dying
so ya we can im if u want my im is imasadsadbunny@yahoo.com ,,ttyl :]

Date: April 25, 2007 06:08AM

fuzzysox Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> its alright!! sheesh tyler, wat ru the vegan
> police

I'm actually from Wisconsin... but I wouldn't touch any cheese with a 10 foot pole now. The thought of it acting like glue on my insides makes me disgusted.

Date: April 25, 2007 01:18PM

Love,

Yes, I eat all the avos, oils and raw cheeses I want, without gaining weight... Its only the nuts I have a problem with... I love raw cheeses, you can get them almost anywhere.. although I usually go with raw organic which you can get at Whole Foods. And contrary to what some believe, I and many others believe that raw cheeses are very healthy; Its only when they are pasturized that they are mucas forming. I would not touch pasturized cheeses myself.

Regarding hair, I take MSM and have found it works wonders for hair thickness and growth, skin and energy. Make sure it is 100% pure.

P.S. Tyler this is a VEGAN AND RAW FOOD forum; RAW FOODs would include anything raw; its somewhat unrealistic to expect people not to mention raw meats, cheeses, nutritional yeast or honey. Also, not everyone here is 100% raw; does that mean that we cannot mention Wheat or other cooked food either? I really think its so important to keep an open mind to everyone's journey and to respect what the other person is doing and to share information that is working for them.

Cheers,
Ferg.

Date: April 25, 2007 05:36PM

"criteria" (posting ONLY about raw/vegan food..as the argument seems to be about) is sort of like a speed limit...in that its only a suggestion.

were all here because of a common interest/lifestyle..that should matter more than the little differences and deviations of topic in posts.

Date: April 25, 2007 08:11PM

fuzzysox, yeah, when I mix fruit with other stuff, ooh, that is not so great. I wonder why green smoothies would give the farts? Hmm. I am trying to try some of the food combining things like eat most fruit alone, don't mix starches and protiens, stuff like that.

I was in LOVE with banana's for a while, but at the moment I don't want them. I haven't had much of a sweet toothe lately, I do a lot though. I make raw chocolate, so that is so good! It has CACAO! Yum! I like to eat before I workout because then I am feeding my body and it knows that there be food in there! I some berrie juice and a little fruit before I workout usually. What are you cravin'? Is there a raw thing to substitute for it? Maybe I can think of something if you tell me? I will e-mail you! My e-mail is startootsie@yahoo.com. Have fun! Thank you!

ferg, thank you! Can you eat seeds? Flax seed in genaral? What about nuts or seeds if they are soaked? How much cheese and oils and avocado do you eat in a day? Hey, out of respect for this board, will you e-mail me too and tell me more? At: startootsie@yahoo.com. Thank you! I agree with you about this board!

silverundertone, you can't get pulled over if you just go a little above the speed limit. Ha! I guess some people do not like that talk at all though. Sorry! Peace and love to all of you! Thank you!

Love to all!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2007 08:24PM by love.

Date: April 25, 2007 08:29PM

i could go for a banana right now......sadly i already ate the only one i brought to work with me...

..this thread has inspired me to get back into making smoothies. i think once im done moving im going to break out my blender and just see what kind of concoctions i can come up with...

Posted by: earthangel ()
Date: April 26, 2007 07:20AM

hey girls...just be careful cuz you could get kicked off the forum for talking about non vegan things actually i have seen it happen....when you sign up and you accept the terms it is in there that you will only discuss raw vegan items...and yes they dont' like you to talk about cooked either....i personally wouldn't mind cuz i believe everyone is different and unique and has their own journey...but for all of you gals sake just know that you could be kicked off the forum for discussing it...so just be careful...and i am def sure that is what tyler meant when mentioning it the first time....good luck and take care ladies!!
love earth angel
xoxoxoxoxoxoxox

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Date: April 26, 2007 03:02PM

Ferg, you said it right before you unsaid it! It is VEGAN... and RAW. Not just raw... or just vegan. I think those who run the board are less concerned with people talking about steamed veggies than they are raw cheese/meats (disgusting?) and the like.

Show me your canine teeth, and videos of you running down and killing an animal then killing it with your bear tooth and nail and I'll tell you to eat meat if you want :

P.S. Where is raw cheese in nature? What other animal eats it?

I don't want to start an argument though, not trying to be mean or anything.

Posted by: alive! ()
Date: April 26, 2007 04:50PM

This IS a vegan forum. Please read the FAQ's. Vegan is a given here - there are other sites where you can talk about raw milk and eggs and cheese and meat all you want - just not here. (I think that the NFL board might be one of them) Please don't take this personally - we're just trying to keep the integrity and intention of the board clear.

You'll see that 75% or above is considered a "raw foodist", so that would logically mean that mentioning the cooked food portion of one's diet is perfectly reasonable.

Life Is Good!

alive!

Date: April 26, 2007 04:51PM

Tyler,

I did not say that I ate raw meat; but if it helps people with thier journey then I would keep an open mind and listen. I am not here to judge; just to share my experience with those who are interested. I do not understand how you would find 100% organic, grain fed raw cheese disgusting, but you are entitled to your opinion. When I posted that message I did not realize that this is a Vegan only board, and I can respect that, but if i am banned from this board for saying that I eat raw cheese on occassion, than so be it. But I will not lie about it just to stay on the board.

I have been raw for over a year now and I tried raw vegan for about 6 months when I decided to venture into the raw cheese. I just wasn't feeling right and I was loosing a lot of weight. I find with the cheese it really helps me stay on this journey. I don't eat it every day; not even every week--and then only a very small amount; just when I'm not feeling 100% and it really does give me so much more energy. I didn't have a clue there would be a problem mentioning that. I know no wild animal eats cheese as cheese is made by man--but we are not wild animals are we? The farm that my raw cheeses are from treats their cattle in the most humane way. I do not want a debate either, I love and respect animals too.

Tyler, how long have you been a raw vegan? Have you ever eaten cheese or ate meat? Being a vegan, where do you get your B12 from? I am very interested in hearing about your journey!

Peace out!
Ferg.

Date: April 26, 2007 04:55PM

ya they moved the non vegan talk off the forum,, theyre eamailing 2 each other they said so up there^^
im vegan 2 but i dont see any real problem with it if shes just stating what she is eating, i personally wouldnt touch cheese either, but everybody is different, and maybe she is transitioning so ya we shouldnt jump all over her,, plus they arent talking about it anymore
so lets chillax ppls theyve stopped talking about the cheese,:p lol

Date: April 26, 2007 05:00PM

i get my b12 from beansprouts

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables