Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

do grapes get radiated?
Posted by: fuzzysox ()
Date: April 22, 2007 06:11PM

im out of organic produce and i was wondering if any body knew if grapes from chile get radiated, or if anybody knos all of the foods that get radiated,, thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: do grapes get radiated?
Posted by: kwan ()
Date: April 22, 2007 11:01PM

I know that strawberries do if they come from anywhere other than your own state. Some mangos are either pasteurized or irradiated-- you can tell, too-- they're disgusting and have streaks of brown in them. I don't know about grapes. it's frustrating, isn't it, that we're told so little, and the labels are inadequate.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: April 22, 2007 11:41PM

this is all based on information on various forums and not on any research I have done personally other than when I see the boxes of what I buy (which do label in the case of irradiation and hot-water treatment)

ALL imported mangos and papayas are 'dipped' or treated in hot water (likely all mangos that would appear in average markets even organic ones)

fruits imported from asia like Thai coconuts and Durian tend to be irradiated.

chilean gtapes I think are just heavily sprayed and have the ethical strings attached. I certainly eat them on occasion. lately I've been getting italian muscat grapes. they are commerical but are seeded. One of the only things I eat that I wash thoroughly.

one way to tell easy in all cases is if the fruit }F{ has }F{ aroma. I think chilean grapes smell like grapes.

If you are conscerned with pesticides..simply eat commercial fruits with the thicker skins or on those 'good' lists. If you are more conscered with the ethical organic issues..just do the best you can. eating organic isn't a requirement to eating raw.

if you are hungry and out of/looking for food, certainly eat whatever is appealing (i certainly grab good looking mangos) and don't carry ANY guilt about it

Date: April 23, 2007 04:42PM

Thanks for the info., Anaken. Luckily I can still find mangos that appear not to have been heat-treated. I didn't know Thai coconuts and durian were irradiated. I've never had a durian, and I'm still looking forward to it.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: April 23, 2007 05:30PM

the mangos I get are certainly delicious, watery and fiberous, especially the haitian ones..yum.

that being said they certainly have no mango aroma. I'm sure in Florida one might be able to get domestic mangos, but I think largely all mangos in markets are imported, and therefore by law, hot water treated...its also illegal when treating them to 'under do it', so they certainly are thoroughly treated in high temp waters often with chemicals, be they organic or not.

so, mangos, durian, whatever...its still fruit, it still has water and fiber and is delicious in my opinion. I don't eat for enzymes

Date: April 24, 2007 01:57AM

anaken,
Thanks for your enlightened viewpoint-- you just cheered me up considerably regarding my fruit choices. (Still, if I had my druthers, they wouldn't be doing this to our food!)

The mangos I'm talking about are a particular kind of very pale yellow mango that I've only started seeing recently; I suspect they are those new ones they started importing from India. They always look like they're past ripe already. The green and red ones still look yummy, and I wouldn't hesitate to eat them.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: April 24, 2007 02:24AM

of course, we have to do all we can to prevent the encroachment further on our produce choices.

but even if we were to be presented with fewer options, one can still have joy. and do our personal best to keep something fresh and living (vegan) around.

Posted by: fuzzysox ()
Date: April 24, 2007 03:21PM

i hate that they do this,, but wat can i do?
thankyou so much anaken and kwan!! ive learned alot :]i think i can tell the difference between radiated mangos and nonradiated nes,, the radiated ones frankly look disguisting,, theyre kindof sqishy and wrinkly looking and pale yellow, and they have streaks,, its so sad that they do that 2 foods,,
yah they dont show the radura sign 2 consumers,, that makes me so angry, but im going 2 ask for a list of radiated foods from publix and walmart, and see where they get them from,, i wonder if they will do this for me... who knos

so do you guys know how to tell if avocadoes have been radiated? i cant tell if they are hard and unripe, could they still be radiated then? im going out 2 get some today from sams club, and i still cant find nething online!!grr! does anybody kno?

Posted by: silverundertone ()
Date: April 24, 2007 03:45PM

ive found countless living spiders (brown/black widows...recluse.etc) in organic grapes...when i worked in produce. though im not sure what they do to them (the organic grapes) prior to shipping...im guessing if all those spiders can survive it must not be too extreme.

of course, as a result of all those spiders..i wont eat grapes anymore.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables