Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Any suggestions for conditioner?
Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: April 25, 2007 07:56AM

The ones in WholeFoods suck. Still have a lot of weird ingredients and that Avalon Organic brand just makes it greasy and weighs it down..its kind of gross.

Anything online I could order? Otherwise I'm going back to a certain unnatural brand cause it's the only thing that ever worked for my hair.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Any suggestions for conditioner?
Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: April 25, 2007 08:05AM

Pureology.. LOVE IT! It's vegan & organic. It's at beauty supply stores.

Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: April 25, 2007 08:46PM

i've heard of people using apple cider vinigar, and having great results.

I have heard of someone else who used baking soda to clean their hair, and they said that their scalp and hair felt so clean. They also said that they didn't recommend it to people with long hair because it can dry out hair.

I have not used either of these.

Sometimes I put coconut oil in my hair in the shower. It leaves my hair soft and smooth. I have thick wavy/curly hair. I would imagine results will be slightly different with thinner hair types. I'd advise to use sparingly.

Posted by: alanabanana ()
Date: April 25, 2007 10:21PM

Personally I wouldn't waste my money on conditioner, of course this is just my opinion but I find especially when eating raw food my hair stays nice and soft and shiny on it's own, and I hardly even need to wash it! - If I lived in the country I don't think I'd need to. Also conditioners really don't do much for your hair, it's just extra product that could build-up and/or react to your skin. But by all means if you feel it's necessary stay with something vegan please, if you read up about all the chemicals in the normal ones you may not want to use them! Good luck!
Peace and take care,

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: April 26, 2007 07:50PM

i'm with alanabanana- i can't remember the last time i used commercial shampoo or conditioner. i do conditioning treatments with raw egg, raw sour milk, olive oil, coconut oil, beer or banana. i used to have VERY dry hair. i could use normal conditioner and not wash it out and my hair would love it. now my hair has a healthy amount of oils. i can go a week without washing, but it now gets some oils at the roots. which i think is great. i do herbal rinses and vinegar adn lemon juice rinses for shine, but it's not really 'conditioning.' though vinegar rinses with ylang-ylang, rose oil, or lavender oil are more conditioning than those with say, tea tree oil.

it takes some time to get used to and for your hair to balance, but i'd rather have my much thicker, shinier, curlier hair that is low maintenance and strong, than a quick fix that gives me easier to style hair that is picky.

peace-

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: April 26, 2007 11:02PM

well if you fry your hair like me you will probably need the really bad stuff. if I put anything "natural " IN MY HAIR IT feels like hay and very fragile. I need toxic conditioner for toxic hair. If my hair wasnatural, That would be different.

Posted by: happyvegan ()
Date: April 27, 2007 05:45AM

I use the Morrocco Method products which are all natural, vegan, and RAW.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: April 27, 2007 08:53AM

i tried avocado before
i forget what happened

i remember using it though

i wish i could remember what happened
musta notbeen that great since i didn't continue it

Posted by: sunshineTX ()
Date: April 27, 2007 09:07PM

happyvegan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I use the Morrocco Method products which are all
> natural, vegan, and RAW.

Me too! Great products!

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: April 27, 2007 10:32PM

i have long fine spazztic naturaly curly hair .. the kind that looks like i just got electrified if i dont use something to tone it down lol

the only thing i use for it is almond oil i just put some in my hands and run it through .. you dont need alot it goes a long way

sorry i dont have a camera these days to show you before and after shots .. but trust me i have hair from hell lol

my darling sweetheart says when i wake up i look like cousin IT from the adams family if that gives you an idea winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2007 10:34PM by Jgunn.

Date: April 28, 2007 08:24PM

LOL Jgunn!!!

i'm a fraggle!

Date: April 28, 2007 08:26PM

lol Mama Cass

hehe my sweetie says sometimes i look like those little trolls you put on the end of yer pencil and rub fast between yer palms till their hair goes wild lol

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: May 01, 2007 01:15AM

I solved my hair problems! Fine, frizzy, chemically treated.... the "conditioner wash" method, which sounded crazy to me until I saw how great my sister's hair started looking... you take a cheap conditioner like Suave, basically something really lightweight, and you use A LOT, way more product than you think you might need, and you thoroughly massage it into the scalp, and don't rinse yet, leave it on while doing other stuff in the shower, then I use Redken All Soft conditioner on the ends, which I think is the best conditioner ever. Then after I blow-dry my hair I brush it out with a natural boar bristle hairbrush, which seems to be an essential final touch.

On days I don't shampoo I put lavender scented baby powder on just the roots. I LOVE this combination of conditioner-wash plus baby powder, it gives my previously crappy hair a lovely soft lushness.

Date: May 01, 2007 02:21PM

i remember cheap shampoos, specifically suave, white rain and VO5 were really good at softening my rough hair. when i was on the swim team.

here's a pic of my hair a couple weeks ago, visiting rockefeller center with my bald baby. this is why a boar's hair brush makes me a clown, and my ethiopian olive wood hair pick is the only detangler i use!

peace-

Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: May 01, 2007 02:45PM

rub a small amount of any oil in your hands and smooth on hair...

Posted by: fuzzysox ()
Date: May 02, 2007 01:37AM

ok try this i kno it may sound gross,, dont wash your hair,, just rinse it out WELL scrub just like theres soap,, eventually in like a couple of days all the natural oils will condition your hair and itll be nice,, its better for me when i do this, and my hair is frizzay! ,, i also heard coconut oil helps alot 2 make the frizzies and curls or waves,, im going 2 try this 2night,,

but when i do wash my hair i use jasons organics, its vegan :]

also does nebody out there kno of anything that can remove hair color,, i used 2 hav purple/plumish hair and now its sortof red,, which isnt my real color at all lol my real color is brown with blonde highights, the red looks funky :p

Date: May 02, 2007 01:55AM

hey fuzzy for some reason evreytime i tried coconut oil on my hair .. the little hairs touching aruond the where my scalp meets my forehead would almost in a few hours start sprouting zits lol

for soem reason the almond oil doesnt do this .. i think the coco was too heavy for my skin type smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables