Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

I'm disappearing!! :-O
Posted by: noelle ()
Date: April 26, 2007 02:13PM

Where do you guys get your calories from? I'd especially like to talk to anyone who works out and/or is just really active.

I've lost wayyy more weight than I wanted to. I don't know what I weigh, but I'm wearing my size 3's that I have from when I was 16 (I'm 21) and they are getting too loose; I was a nine when I started gettin' healthier.

I've heard a lot of people say they weight loss on raw is the loss of "toxic-weight" but I'm sure that my calorie consumption is not equal to what I'm putting out. On a day when I'm "all raw" (I'm not 100%) I'll eat about 1100 calories, and that is really hard to manage. This certainly won't do, since I want to start yoga and some sort of martial arts.

So, for you 2000-calories-a-day people....where are you getting those from? I'm leaning away from eating as many really high fat foods I was, both because I desire them much less (they've been giving me...ermm...a "heavy tummy"winking smiley and because I've read a lot about how it's a common mistake to overeat them *Bryan has said it a lot, too* , but they were my best source of cals.

I'm also hesitant to eat lots of high-sugar foods, which is what I have been doing as well. Basically, I've been doing bananas and avacados galore (and lots+lots of greens, but those are really low cal). Do high-calorie, low sugar, low fat foods exist in raw?

Any suggestions to stop the weight loss would be much appreciated!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2007 02:14PM by noelle.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I'm disappearing!! :-O
Posted by: the enchantress ()
Date: April 26, 2007 02:27PM

FINALLY!!! Someone else who's having this problem. I'm also hesitant to eat a lot of high fat/sugar foods. I do eat dates (about 5) and avocadoes (one) daily, lots of fruit, hemp protein, and, like you, many greens, but it still isn't enough. There's also the aspect of being too full when I try to eat more, which causes me to not be hungry for a longer period of time, resulting in me eating no more than I would have in the first place! I'm very active too. I've been eating Manna bread recently to help put on weight.

noelle, the high-calorie, low-fat low-sugar foods that come to mind are hemp protein, grains, and "grain-like seeds" (quinoa and buckwheat). Hemp protein supplies a good number of calories for a relatively low volume. Put a few scoops in a smooothie and you'll never notice it. Sprout/soak the grains and make crackers or a sprouted quinoa tabbouleh. Make soaked buckwheat porridge. My problem, as I mentioned above, is that these foods keep me fuller longer, and then I don't want to eat much later on. But maybe you'll have more success with forcing yourself to eat when you're not that hungry. Good luck! Keep me updated on your progress!

Posted by: James Smith ()
Date: April 26, 2007 02:28PM

I am still relatively new to raw, but here are some thoughts.

If the raw experiment is becoming dangerous (you are losing too much weight), perhaps it's time to temporarily pull back the experiment, learn a bit more, gain some weight, and then try again? Or, have some non-raw days when you eat enough calories, and some raw days when you are experimenting.

For lunch I eat a lot of sweet fruit. Today, it's 2 pears, 1 big apple, 3/4 of a cantelope, and some raisins. I also often have bananas and sunflower seeds.

For dinner, I want some more tastes / textures, so I have non-sweet fruit / veggies as well as some sweet fruit: a "salad" from avocados, pea sprouts, sweet potatoes, corn, tomatoes, cukes, etc.; plus, a geen smoothy with bananas or pears, etc.

It seems to work for me. But I did have to experiment a bit, and I am still experimenting I think.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 26, 2007 02:53PM

To keep my weight from slipping off of me I eat a lot of bananas, avocados, flax, and dates (like 15 or more!). 2500 Kcals comes very easily for me. Good luck and keep experimenting.

Posted by: cynthia ()
Date: April 26, 2007 03:20PM

I'm happy too to find others having the same challenge... To eat when not hungry is not working for me besides the fact that I'd rather wait to have a pleasant experience with food ( ha, ha).
And eating to much at a time slows digestion quite a bit.
Someone said here that to gain weight, one should eat big meals instead of grazing all day. So... what to do then ?
I found that, for myself, I have to investigate more in the relative proportion of alkaline vs acidic food so to create a good balance for digestion. Acidic food, not too much though, helps my digestion.

what about you? please keep sharing your experiences.

Posted by: abc123tyler ()
Date: April 26, 2007 03:42PM

1100 a day isn't very much. I am using this program Cronometer, kind of just for fun to see what I am doing. I typically go by what I feel, and always make sure to try some greens every day to see if you want them or not. If you don't go out of your way to try some veggies I find I don't eat them at all! Don't limit yourself though when it comes to fruits/veggies. If you aren't full, eat some more fruit, especially if you are active. Vegetable juices might be a good idea for you! The only thing I would do to limit is nuts, as they are overeaten very easily.

[spaz.ca] is the site for Cronometer.

Posted by: amybass ()
Date: April 26, 2007 04:02PM

I think fitday.com has a way to track how many calories you eat by inputting your food. This may help you to see how much more you need to eat that day to reach your goal.
I have also been wanting to eat enough calories since I am coming up on 30 weeks pregnant and just started my raw food diet about 4 days ago. I don't want to lose too much weight while pregnant because I want to ensure the baby gets enough "baby fat."

Just started my rawfood journey and blogging daily about it here: [journeyforhealth.blogspot.com]

Date: April 26, 2007 04:11PM

cynthia,

You said "Someone said here that to gain weight, one should eat big meals instead of grazing all day. So... what to do then ?".

I am not sure. IIRC, I have read, in the context of 811, that you should eat big meals. IIRC, the reason was that eating sweet fruit all day might not be great for your teeth.

I think it's easier to eat more if you eat throughout the day. My approach is, figure out one thing, then work on another. Teeth are important, but they won't go bad in a few weeks / months / however long it takes me to experiment with this. Plus, you can brush 3 times a day if you want.

Posted by: Sparkler ()
Date: April 26, 2007 05:44PM

Honestly, on raw, you only have 2 choices when it comes to taking in more calories than you're putting out (which will help you gain weight - although, building muscle should also help you gain weight...)

Fruit
or
Fat.

You gotta pick one for calories.

Fat, as you seem to have experienced, comes with its' problems.

My choice personally is fruit... the simple sugars are most efficient for fueling my body, quickly and effectively. smiling smiley Plus, it just tastes so good and makes me FEEL so amazing!

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2007 05:48PM by Sparkler.

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: April 26, 2007 05:59PM

Heavy excersize is very important on the raw diet.

Date: April 26, 2007 08:38PM

This is great, thanks you guys. I added hemp protein to my shopping list. I've been meaning to get it too, I just always forget!

I have a similar obstacle, like a couple of people here, about not being very hungry on raw. Often, after my morning smoothie(I start eating around 10am so my body has a couple of hours to wake up), I'm not really hungry until about 4pm. It's weird.

If I am hungry, though, I never skimp. I also find it difficult to force myself to eat when I'm feeling full, even if my brain knows I need the calories.

And as far as what you suggested, James, I do eat cooked foor when I'm looking for cals. That is part of what spawned this post. I don't have any cravings or interest for it, so I'm kind of tired of eating it because I need calories.

I'll keep it up and add the hemp protein and see what happens!

Date: April 26, 2007 08:52PM

noelle,

I think greens lower the appetite. So if you are drinking green smoothies in the morning, that might contribute to your low appetite. Try drinking them in the evening, after dinner.

Date: April 26, 2007 08:59PM

In my morning smoothies I do stuff like banana, young coconut (either just the water or the whole thing) gogi berries, nuts, maca, flax, cacao...and whatever I have lying around that would be delictious with that. It varies, but I stick with fruit.

I have a psychological block against veggies before noon...:-/

Posted by: bronwynsun ()
Date: April 27, 2007 03:33AM

noelle and the enchantress,

i would suggest not waiting until you feel you're getting enough cals to start excercising...rather, go and work out, and then as a result, you will be hungry!

i have not lost any weight on around 80% raw foods, even with intense cardio every other day along with full time athletic training.

I think if you make your body work, it will demand more calories, and you will figure out how to get them just because you must. just my thoughts...

Posted by: jono ()
Date: April 27, 2007 03:59AM

Raw diet also made me emaciated until I started consuming raw dairy, now I've been strength training and finally have a fit tone body, still want to gain more muscle though. Raw nuts are good too, but hard to find truly raw and fresh nuts, unless you hunt down some nut farmers around harvest time. Also calorie-dense are mature coconuts, but most supermarkets only carry moldy fermented 6 month old coconuts, not worth eating, maybe could have em shipped fresh from hawaii.

Date: April 27, 2007 12:41PM

I added the raw hemp protein to my morning smoothies and I might try eating more fruit. Because I feel a little better about having the extra cals, I'm going to get on the working out thing. You guys have a really good point about an increase in appetite happening because I'm working out, rather than visa versa.

Jono, I warn you that you are about to get pounced on, or "reminded" that this is a vegan forum.

Pssst: anything you want to share about the "d" word can be done through PMs, that way no one gets offended. While I do think dairy is so high alkaline that it probably isn't worth the help it brings, I'm as "vegan" as I am "raw," not 100% of either, but I do recognize its importance. :-)

Posted by: Mona ()
Date: April 27, 2007 01:47PM

Noelle,

Good luck. I've tried everything suggested above and gained weight in my stomache only. Maybe because you're young, it will be different for you. I still exercise regularly. It makes me feel better. My weight is now stablized but it's lower than I want it to be. Someone said that once you get all or most of the toxins out, you'll start gaining weight. That could be. I'm still waiting. I decided it was more important to get out the toxins then see if the weight returns.

All my best.

Posted by: the enchantress ()
Date: April 27, 2007 02:23PM

Bronwynsun - actually, I have been doing what you suggested (exercising to increase appetite). It feels SO good to be super hungry and sit down to a great big salad with some avocado. It feels like my body is absorbing every single nutrient and it makes me smile. Plus, my new job is pretty physical, so that helps. Thanks for your advice, though.

Posted by: Fud ()
Date: April 27, 2007 02:49PM

Noelle,

In the reading I've managed to force myself into I've found that there are a lot of athletes on the raw food diet. Most athletes need a high caloric intake.

Storm at [www.thegardendiet.com] competes and also [www.runningraw.com] is dedicated to competitions.

I've heard of some people using raw olives too, though I don't know where you'd find fresh ones.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: April 27, 2007 10:59PM

why is too skinny bad? do you look bad? I am size 4 and wish I were 0 hahah anyways animals that are skinny live longer.

Posted by: flex4life ()
Date: April 27, 2007 11:15PM

What is the typical daily meals yall eat?

This is basically my daily intake:

2 kiwis
1 avocado
2 apples
2 bananas
5 stalks celery
6 leaves of romain lettuce

and I take a few supplements such as MSM, Frozen Wheatgrass, Multivitamin, Udo's choice 3-6-9

Most people cannot believe I live on just this much food. Is this enough food intake for me? I am quite physical as well in my daily routine.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2007 11:16PM by flex4life.

Date: April 27, 2007 11:49PM

Coconutcream, it doesn't fit me to look very thin. I feel out of proportion and weak. I'm nearly 5'9...and it just doesn't sit look nice on me, I feel. However, I do realize that health comes first and if I felt that my calories were enough, I wouldn't be so concerned.

Flex4life, I am so surprised you eat so little! I don't mean that in an offensive way, I'm impressed and it sets my mind at ease. I'm going to go ahead and start working out, like lots of people have suggested and I'll see if that does the trick!

Posted by: jono ()
Date: April 28, 2007 12:00AM

Flex, according to nutritiondata.com the food you listed adds up to about 708 calories.

How many calories do you think you get from the supplements?

I suppose if you are getting 10 tbsp of the udos you could add another 1300 calories...

Posted by: flex4life ()
Date: April 28, 2007 12:23AM

jono,

I take about 6 tbsp of Udo's and will indulge in the occasional late night cookie(s) so ya I guess 1300 calories is about right.

--

noelle,

I'm glad my diet puts your mind at ease smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables