Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Is it OK to eat so little calories if you want to lose weight?
Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: April 26, 2007 04:23PM

The "disapearing" thread made me think to ask this. I wish I had that person's problem.

After a couple days 100% raw and 8-1-1, I'm finding myself NOT hungry. Yesterday I think I only ate about 700 calories.. I planned on using banannas to get my calories up but I didn't even have to. Plus they're not ripe yet anyway.

I know on "regular", non raw diets, they say eating too little will just slow your metabolism down - Is that also true on Raw?

I also had 3 glasses of juice yesterday in between meals and for breakfast I've been doing orange juice..so hope I'm not putting myself in a semi-fasted-dead metabolism state. I find it easier to do cardio on just juice rather than while digesting food..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2007 04:24PM by LikeItOrNot.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it OK to eat so little calories if you want to lose weight?
Posted by: Sparkler ()
Date: April 26, 2007 04:58PM

Do you have a lot of weight to lose?

I think that people who have a lot of weight to lose in the beginning, find that they don't eat very much at first. This was the case with my husband, and he was being monitored closely by Dr. Graham, who said that was normal for his case. Hope this helps.

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: April 26, 2007 05:10PM

Hello,

The juices are considered a food in the raw diet. If you're doing 8-1-1 and you're not hungry, then why worry about the calories? I suggest that you obtain the proper nutrients by checking your intake at fitday.com or other websites that offer the same. If you're missing nutrients, you might want to supplement. The fat calories from the Graham method are so few that you won't have to worry about gaining weight.

I don't suggest that you count calories as you will burn out too fast (i.e., your body/mind may get to oversaturation on raw and then you will begin to crave food outside of your new regimen due to starvation by lack of nutrients. This is typical of people that go on diets.). Your body will typically tell you when you are satisfied.

In the beginning with raw you will lose alot of weight and then will gain some back as your body stabilizes at the weight where it should be.

Therese

Posted by: abc123tyler ()
Date: April 26, 2007 05:58PM

I would agree with above posts. If you aren't hungry, don't eat just to eat. Do not count calories, I think it is such a burden and something that does not need to be worried about, especially when you are trying to transition to a raw diet. Just eat by what your body wants, not your tastebuds. Eat when you're hungry, don't when you're not, keep it SIMPLE!

Posted by: James Smith ()
Date: April 26, 2007 08:48PM

Since it sounds like you don't feel like eating much anyway, you might want to try fasting. *Not* to starve yourself, etc. (and not if you have any type of eating disorder). But if done right, fasting can be beneficial.

Bragg recommends water fasting one day a week. This means that for 24 hours every week you only drink purified water. No juices, no mineral water, etc. The way I do it is skip dinner, then breakfast the following day, and then eat lunch a bit later than I normally would. It's very easy once you do it a couple of times. The main thing to remember is to drink a lot of water. If you think that you are hungry, drink some water. Then, drink some more water.

Posted by: noelle ()
Date: April 26, 2007 09:02PM

Well, I don't think you should try not to eat many calories but if you're not hungry, don't! I'm not that experienced with raw, but I'm sure an appetite will come when you need the calories.

More importnatly, it's such a waste to eat unrippened bananas, they tast so much better when they are ready!

Posted by: amybass ()
Date: April 27, 2007 05:50PM

Forcing yourself to overeat will just cause digestions issues. I woulnd't worry about eating unless you feel the urge to. Follow your body, it knows what you need.

Just started my rawfood journey and blogging daily about it here: [journeyforhealth.blogspot.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables