Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Want to fast, but why can't I?
Posted by: lemoned ()
Date: April 26, 2007 07:23PM

Last time I tried to start a fast, by 4pm I was ready to pass out and my stomach felt like it's digesting itself. What's up? How do you do it? Am I doing something wrong? Adding juices even does not really help....

I tried several times but I think it is my bloodsugar (or lack thereof) getting in the way. I always had problems in my life that I feel I can not go for long without food. I have to eat, if I miss a meal I'm not feeling well. Dizzy, shaky, weak, cold sweat...So whenever I tried to fast I had those symptoms along with stomach ache.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Want to fast, but why can't I?
Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: April 26, 2007 07:34PM

Have you tried the Master Cleanse? I sometimes get the low blood sugar/dizzy when standing up problem during it and what I found to help was increasing the maple syrup to like 2.5tbsps or sometimes 3 per glass. The first few days is always the hardest during a fast. Once your energy levels increase and you feel good you can easily go right to juices.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: April 26, 2007 08:29PM

You have a significant detox. Try to get a number of 1-meal light juice fasts in for 3 months......and continue to eat healthy....and meet you goals....then try for a 2 meal fast....and then...only later....try to see how a 1-day juice or water fast makes you feel.

-Fasts are a powerful way to accelerate detox...which not every should...or is comfortable doing. That's ok. Fasting is NOT an entry-requirement to eating healthy and living a healthier lifestyle.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2007 08:30PM by davidzanemason.

Date: April 26, 2007 09:03PM

Hey thanks for your replies!
I haven;t done MC because I expect my dizziness to get even worse when all that sustains me is Maple Syrup...I can not really picture that. However, I didn't try it, either.
I know that fasting isn't a requirement, otherwise I'd have pursued it more strongly. I am just curious how people "just do it" because I seem to read all the time about fasting and people who seem to be on and off fasting all the time. Amazes me how it's done so easily (at least it sounds like it.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: April 26, 2007 10:39PM

People that 'just do it' have often spent YEARS eating healthier and healthier....and becoming more and more convinced and accustomed to the idea and practice of fasting. Don't let your brain fool you into thinking these anonymous folks just jumped right into it! Ha! ha! I certainly didn't. And it took SOME time....in my own experience.....for my own stomach to shrink to the point where fasting for even one meal was comfortable! It's all about YOUR pace. Power to you.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: April 26, 2007 11:04PM

Lemoned,

If your blood sugar is off, it sounds like you're hyper or hypoglycemic. I get that way when I'm too fat. That's my indicator that I have to lose weight. Once the the few additional pounds are lost by not eating so much, my blood sugar stabilizes.

My first fast before raw was the Master Cleanse. Since become modified raw, I have done a 10 day water fast. (My friend who has been raw for about 20 years did a 40 day water fast.) At first, I knew I wanted to do it just to prove to myself that I could and because I wanted to get rid of the prescription medications in my body. Then about the third day, I was wondering why I had started. By the fourth or fifth day, I was counting down when the end date was. As the days came closer to the end, I was weak, fatigued, and my heart was racing at times. I think I fainted on day 6 or 7 because I got up too fast from a reclining position.

If you read Arnold Ehret's book, "The Mucusless Healing System", he describes that the fatigue and weakness are from the toxins in the body being released. The longer the fast, the stronger one gets after releasing the toxins.

Other than that, I did alot of praying during my fast. I prayed for strength to go on and resolve to complete what I had committed to do. I didn't watch too much television as it had way too many food commercials and the energy was too frantic. Instead, I found things that eased my mind as my body was cleansing.

I wouldn't get too down on yourself. Fast will come in time. Even my friend that did the 40 day fast hoped that he would die at times because he was in such pain and at times bedridden except to use the facilities. His body was very clean prior to the fast. One cannot just jump into a fast without preparation. Also, one has to ease back into eating when the fast is complete or else you could die that way, too.

Take care.
Therese

Date: April 27, 2007 12:58AM

Thanks again for your replies. Well, I am high raw with a lot of consecutive 100% months since 10 years (gosh time flies), I'm a athletic person and have had no health probs. But I do have the issue with hypoglycemic conditions, sweet stuff doesn't really sit well with me, either.
To be honest...I'd rather not have a bedridden fast smiling smiley I mean, I do feel overall fine, so I would not really want to go through something so drastic.

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: April 27, 2007 02:21AM

Lemoned,
Took me years of refining and 'retooling' myself so I could fast decently and get results. Little by little it gets easier, and like doing yoga or exercise, suddenly you come out of a plateau or a long stall, and you suddenly realize you've broken through major barriers. Just relax and eat healthy, then try a little fast, relax again and give yourself space to get into the rhythm of it. And remember that 'building' is as important as 'cleansing.' It'll happen.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables