Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

question for bryan
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: April 27, 2007 08:51AM

r dandelions best in the winter spring or fall

which part of the dandelion do u like the best

stem, root, or leaf?

and most IMPORTANTLY of all

if u made a wish on a dandelion

which ones came true?

all of mine came true

things just happen like that

for no reason

but i thought i'd ask u about dandelions

because u seem to know about such things

maybe i'll do a mono thing with dandelions

cuz they are a good thing

good vibes

impresses me more than some of the other greenies

though i like them all

i have to admit i have my favorites

what is your experience with them

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: question for bryan
Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: April 27, 2007 09:07AM

Hey La Veronique

I thought I'd pretend to be Bryan for 5 minutes (hope you don't mind Bryan?)

Most (all?) leaves are best before the plant flowers, then the flower is good to eat and then the seeds. (I don't eat roots that much so I don't know where that fits in.) Late winter/spring seems to be a good time to eat dandelion leaves. I find that they get more bitter after they have flowered.

They don't really have much of a stem do they, I just pick the leaf as low down as poss and eat it all.

All my wishes came true too, they must be a special plant.

Bryan

(Ok Bryan, I've finished, I'll go back to being me now.)

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 27, 2007 12:26PM

Come on lavero, Bryan won't even go near dandelions because DG says they don't taste good and they are an herb.

elnatural

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: April 27, 2007 02:29PM

apparently its better in the fall (octoberish?) to pick the dandelion roots to consume or medicinal use ... the plant is gathering its energy sources (sun, soil, water, air etc) to store overwinter ... making the plant its strongest just before hibernation .. roots dug in the spring before flowering have depleted these stores of energy making new leaves to shoot up and start the circle of life again.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: April 27, 2007 05:38PM

I ate dandelions when I first went raw. I liked the young leaves, as they were less bitter for the kind I was harvesting myself. It seems the store bought dandelion isn't as bitter as doesn't have the thorns that the wild stuff has.

I am not liking bitter stuff nowadays as much as I did when I had lots of condiments in my diet. For me, the more I remove from my diet, the simpler my tastes become.

Date: April 30, 2007 02:01PM

hey funky

thanks! i didn't know u could also eat the flower and the seeds
hmm.. i 'm getting ideas
makes me more intrigued in discovering this glorious plant ( cool, all yer dreams came true toosmiling smiley

jgun

that's really interesting
i didn't know that
no wonder october is my favorite month ( no kiddingsmiling smiley

bryan

that's cool, u harvested some dandelions yourself
"young leaves", less bitter?
wow... i'm learning more stuff about dandelions

this is soooo coolsmiling smiley

i'm gonna be having some today

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: April 30, 2007 05:58PM

Dandelions, I used to make a sauce with I think mac nuts , you have to massage the leaves a little bit, squeezing then as hard as you can with 1/2 ts salt to wilt a little bit here is picture

Posted by: uti ()
Date: May 01, 2007 04:25AM

elnatural_1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Come on lavero, Bryan won't even go near
> dandelions because DG says they don't taste good
> and they are an herb.
>
> elnatural

elnatural,

I notice you never miss an opportunity to disparage, dismiss and disrespect Bryan. What did he do to you to deserve your hate?

Ditto regarding Doug Graham. In your disparagement of Graham you seemed to have missed that Doug does not categorically dismiss herbs. A number of his recipes use herbs, including cilantro and basil.

What I notice about these two individuals is that they consistently come from their experience, approach raw foodism as an ongoing and ever changing process, are willing to take chances to stay out there on the edge of their learning curve, and take responsibility for their errors.

A wise friend of mine says that all judgement comes from self-judgement. You must really not like yourself very much. Try lightening up on people with different experiences and approaches and not make it so personal.

Posted by: learningtofly ()
Date: May 01, 2007 04:32AM

I don't see any disparagement or judgment in elnatural's post. I see disagreement, but that's about it.

IMO you are seeing things in his post that are not there.

Posted by: uma ()
Date: May 01, 2007 05:14AM

"Come on lavero, Bryan won't even go near dandelions because DG says they don't taste good and they are an herb.

elnatural"

That is just disagreement? That is more like total insult and idiocy. No wait... that's more like TROLLING. Saying stupid stuff to suck up attention. (which means yes, i'm responding to a troll. Oops.)

Bryan, what I don't understand is why you are willing to boot members who blatantly disrespect other members of this forum but haven't yet done the same for yourself here.

Love,
Uma

Posted by: learningtofly ()
Date: May 01, 2007 05:30AM

elnatural's been on these forums for a LONG time and he is definitely not a troll.

What I understood Al's post to mean is that bitter dandelion is considered toxic in Natural Hygiene, and that Bryan doesn't eat them because he follows Natural Hygiene (i.e. Doug Graham's program). That is why I didn't see disparagement or judgment. Where is the insult in this?

Posted by: uma ()
Date: May 01, 2007 06:31AM

He assumes Bryan doesn't think for himself or speak from his own experience. On other threads he has suggested that Bryan doesn't even respond to posts on this board without calling or emailing Doug Graham to get his input, and that he just parrots Doug's answers to this board.

Bryan "won't even go near something" because someone else says it's not good? He's accusing Bryan of being a blind follower and a parrot. If you missed the insulting tone in his comments towards Bryan then I don't really know what to say other than try reading between the lines.

Love,
Uma

Posted by: earthangel ()
Date: May 01, 2007 08:52AM

I have to jump in here and agree with Uti and Uma because before i even read anyone's response as soon as i saw el's post i was upset...i mean he is obviously attacking bryan and like uma says it implies that he can't think for himself and that follows Doug's every though....I know that a lot of times bryan is attacked for standing on his own two feet and following his own path and offereing help support and encouragement to all who need it!! he is a wonderful person and a great support system to all of us raw foodies on this site...and Bryan if you are reading this i second the thought on why you are not harsher on people who put down you?? you are just as important as the rest of the members on this site.....smiling smiley
take care
love earthangel
xoxoxoxoxxo

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Date: May 02, 2007 10:43AM

coconut cream

thanks for the cool pic
dandelion stems look pretty neat in that dish that u made smiling smiley

well,

regarding the above dissension
all i can say is

its good that we have so many passionate people here
that's all i have to say

what else CAN i say?

a carrot is a carrot
an artichoke is an artichoke
a cloud is a cloud

a dandelion is a dandelion
and a magnificent thing at that

thanks all for making this thread.. well, uhhh...

COLORFUL!!

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: May 02, 2007 02:59PM

I think al has certainly been antagonistic to say the least...deffinetly more so in other threads. I don't see how accusing someone of not thinking for themselves sticks all that well against someone who knows they think for themselves, so it does more harm to the persons argument I would think. and a lack of defensiveness certainly shows a certain strength.

That said, in this thread I agree with learningtofly, he's more insinuating that not eating a bitter 'herb' like dandelion springs from an idea from natural hygiene. that you can equate bitter, with toxic. of course there is some level of truth to that maybe, but it comes down to whether the substance in question works for you. Anyone who eases a substance out of their diet because it is bitter, really looses bearing on whether its a useful substance for someone else IMO, so sometimes attacking a principle (although of course not an individual) is a totally ripe point of discussion. otherwise its just a shouting match of likes and dislikes..no?

Date: May 02, 2007 04:59PM

yes

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 03, 2007 12:42AM

Looks like I never fail to stir up controversy, seem to have nack for it.
As long as I have been posting on these boards off and on for who knows how many years now, people either understand what I write and are very inspired, or they can't figure it out, or misread it and get pretty mad as seen here. I've been doing this for 10 years now, have seen allmost every name brand raw foodist in person including DG, been to dozens of potlucks, read an incredible amount of books. Tured Hipocrates several times. Been there done it all. So I talk with a measure of experience behind me. I know what works and what doesn't. I want to see everyone succed and go as far as they can, be all they can. In that passion I debunk false info as well as put out what I see as being right. All from personal experiance.

Bryan loves to come at me and Mike for using herbs, condiments, fermented foods, juicers and juicing. Mike and I have answered him well enough on this subject but Bryan keeps bringing it back up. So I continue to debunk his false statements and questions, fair enough?

Doctor Richard Shulze says if you were to walk across America in the wild and taste eveything out there, the predominant taste will be bitter. That is where the most powerfull medicinal qualities lie, in bitter wild foods.

There is nothing wrong with herbs, bad taste for one does not disquallify them for another. Bad taste does not diquallify them for any one. Does it taste like candy, is not the test. How do they work is the only qualifier. In life do you want the easy, candy coated way out every time. It doesn't work like that at all. The most personal advancement comes from the hardest trials and are the most "medicinal".

may be continued........

elnatural

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: May 03, 2007 01:37AM

elnatural_1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

it's quite clear that elnatural continues to take unnecessary jabs at DG.

> I know what works and what doesn't.

for you.

>In that
> passion I debunk false info as well as put out
> what I see as being right.

note above that you said, "put out what I SEE as being right"
but
you did not add the same qualifier to "false info"

therefore you seem to think that what you label as false info is
in fact false info, but the fact is that we are not dealing with
trigonometry or physics here, elnatural, we are dealing with
diet. it is a soft science, not a hard science.

so it is presumptuous of you to take the position
that you have.

>
> Bryan loves to come at me and Mike for using
> herbs, condiments, fermented foods, juicers and
> juicing.

he does not "come at you". he posts his viewpoint, as is his right.
maybe you need your own discussion group where people can be flogged for disagreeing with you.

>Mike and I have answered him well enough
> on this subject but Bryan keeps bringing it back
> up.

you seem to have issues with control. you seem to think that if bryan does not change his mind, he is wrong, and you are right, and you must correct him, so all of the people who are inspired by you do not stray from your views.

> So I continue to debunk his false statements
> and questions, fair enough?

no. not really fair at all. rather conceited and arrogant.

> Doctor Richard Shulze says if you were to walk
> across America in the wild and taste eveything out
> there, the predominant taste will be bitter. That
> is where the most powerfull medicinal qualities
> lie, in bitter wild foods.

this is mere opinion, and you are entitled to it.

>
> There is nothing wrong with herbs, bad taste for
> one does not disquallify them for another. Bad
> taste does not diquallify them for any one. Does
> it taste like candy, is not the test. How do they
> work is the only qualifier. In life do you want
> the easy, candy coated way out every time. It
> doesn't work like that at all. The most personal
> advancement comes from the hardest trials and are
> the most "medicinal".

more opinion, open to debate. or not.

freshie

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: May 03, 2007 01:39AM

Taste is everything. For example, my rats (Lilly and Chewie) will NOT eat anything they dislike. No amount of arguments is going to convince them to eat something yuck. I am with my rats.

Of course, mind you, the taste test does not work in the reverse. Unfortunately. sad smiley Oh well, at least, there is always the ultimate "body test". My body knows best. smiling smiley

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2007 01:44AM by rawgosia.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 03, 2007 03:51AM

gosia you have rats smiling smiley)))))) hehe i miss my little rat ..her name was apache she had markings like an pinto pony smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: May 03, 2007 03:58AM

How lovely, she must have been a cutie. Grand name! I love my rats. Lilly, the blind white one is so cuddly, she just loves to be touched. When they see me, they both want to jump on me. Chewie tends to wee on me to show her love, and I don't quite like it. They stay on Odys, my son, most of the time. I am really moved by the love they shower on me. Oops, sorry for going off topic.

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Date: May 03, 2007 06:38AM

Gosia I have rats too they eat everyhing I give them. I even grow sprouts for them, which I cover in avocado sauce. They are drinking watermelon juice now

Gosia I have rats too they eat everyhing I give them. I even grow sprouts for them, which I cover in avocado sauce. They are drinking watermelon juice now

Date: May 03, 2007 09:22PM

to gosia

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: May 03, 2007 09:51PM

Oh.... they are so cute. I love rats. They are so friendly. We have two Guinea pigs, Nellie and Einstein. They love our leftovers.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: May 04, 2007 01:34AM

When I see quotes from El Nat like: "Come on lavero, Bryan won't even go near dandelions because DG says they don't taste good and they are an herb. "

what I get the the childish apect of El Nat's ego is taunting me trying to get me to play in his sandbox. I suspect he wants us to get into a pissing match by issuing what he perceives as an insult, but as I said before, I am not insulted by his childish taunts.

El Nat seems to think I care if he eats bitters or ferments or whatever. In fact, I could care less. I don't care what other people eat or say is good to eat. However, I may disagree something is healthy, and I am happy to state that whenever I feel something is unhealthy to eat.

El Nat, do not be surprised if you find your login not working. You have already been disrepectful enough to me with previous posts that I have enough to ban you. Perhaps the next time I go on a banning spree, your name will be on the list. Or perhaps not. It depends on how I feel in the moment. Your input on raw foods is appreciated, but I tire of the disrepect. Uma is right, if you were to do this to any other member, you would have been out a long time ago.

Date: May 04, 2007 02:51AM

Wow, coconutcream. Thanks!!! Sleeping beauty! My rats love what we eat too. Everything. Banana smoothies, sweet fruit, dates, avoes, durian.

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2007 02:52AM by rawgosia.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables