Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Too many dates?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 30, 2007 05:04PM

I know, I know it is up to my body and what it needs. However, I am transitioning and dates really satisfy my sugar cravings. The problem is I eat a lot of them - 15 in a sitting. Is this good for me? I am looking for honest, personal opinions please. Did anyone else experience this? Should I be satisfying my sweet tooth with other fruits instead? Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Too many dates?
Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: April 30, 2007 05:09PM

In the short term, I really wouldn't worry about it. I did the same while transitioning.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: fuzzysox ()
Date: April 30, 2007 05:25PM

omgosh i was just about 2 ask the same question.. weird lol :p ok i feel better now :]

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: April 30, 2007 05:53PM

I eat dates too. The more you have experience with this kind of eating, the less you eill need.

Posted by: Sparkler ()
Date: April 30, 2007 06:14PM

15 isn't THAT many. smiling smiley I've eaten twice that in a sitting before. The more you eat sweet juicy fruit the less you'll want sooo many dates, but they really helped me at times. I say go for it and don't worry about it!

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Posted by: Forrest ()
Date: April 30, 2007 06:19PM

15 isn't bad... they aren't very filling. When you eat them by themselves you can go through a whole bunch. I eat them with other stuff for that reason.

What kind of dates have you all tried? So far I have had Honey, Empress, Black Sphinx, Medjool, Dayri, and Deglet Noor. My favorite was either empress or dayri.

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: April 30, 2007 07:52PM

I was doing the same things with figs. I finally slowed way down. I felt like as long as they were agreeing with me I would eat all I wanted and I did.

Posted by: learningtofly ()
Date: April 30, 2007 08:07PM

I tried some unpollenated dates from a farmers markets a few months ago... They're seedless and small because they're not pollenated. I was really enjoying them because they were less sweet than most dates, then about an hour later I became very spaced out and couldn't think straight. It was a really strange experience and I never felt like that before or since in all my years raw. It was as if I was on drugs... Needless to say, I'll stick with regular dates from now on. I found it interesting that the unpollenated dates were seedless and for me it was additional confirmation that it is ideal for all our fruit to be seeded. There are reasons beyond calories for us to select our food.

For the original poster, I think dates are good for transition. Just remember to brush your teeth!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2007 08:08PM by learningtofly.

Date: April 30, 2007 09:32PM

After reading all the supportive and informative feedback I allowed my body to take charge and I finished off 45 dates! Can you believe it? After my date "binge" my body felt energized, alive, and supported (also, a little guilty and shameful). I think that I will have some lettuce later this evening and go to bed with the knowledge that I may need to heed my bodies cravings better in the future so that I do not go overboard with the dates. Thank you all for your support. I really wish that I could differentiate between a craving and a nutritional need. I guess it is trial and error at this point.

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: April 30, 2007 10:33PM

I did, and still do, think my fig craving was a nutritional need. I think it was calcium.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: May 01, 2007 04:48AM

Why feel guilty about eating what you consider "too many" dates? How do you know that this is too many? Did you die?

I recently bought 2 twelve pound boxes of Deglet Noors from the Flying Disc Ranch. I will eat easily a half pound of dates at a sitting, perhaps even more if I am hungry. The only thing I notice is that I get thirsty from dates because these are so dry. But if I am fully hydrated, I don't even feel thirsty.

Dates are not ideal because they are dry, but there is nothing really bad about them. If I had watermelon right now, I wouldn't buy dates. But I don't have it yet, so for the time being, I'll enjoy my dates.

Its better to eat a bunch of dates, get thirsty and need to drink some water, than it is to not get enough carbohydrates and revert back to eating rice or potatoes or bread.

Date: May 01, 2007 12:46PM

Thank you Bryan. I always have admired your kind, non-judgmental, and honest guidance. I do look to you and other seasoned raw foodies here for support. I am sending much gratitude your way...

Posted by: Connie Boo ()
Date: May 01, 2007 06:48PM

Dates are high in boron, which is susposed to be a important mineral. I heard our bodies need calories from carbs for energy.

Posted by: Fud ()
Date: May 01, 2007 06:51PM

Speaking of figs, are there any guidelines to figs? I have to order them online mostly but I love figs.

[rawfoodtrip.blogspot.com]
[jugglingforjoy.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables