Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

weight loss/excerise
Posted by: veggiel0ve ()
Date: May 02, 2007 03:03AM

hello. I have been eating mostly 90% and higher raw food diet for about 6 months now. I do not feel like i lost any weight at all. I need to loose about 30 pounds. What is the best excersise to do for this? I eat mostly fruit all day until dinner where I have a big salad with a lemon juice, olive oil, nutritional yeast dressing. Can anybody please help?? I just started drinking more water.. and I don't know what else I could do, I'd like to loose a good amount in the next month. PLEASE HELP!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: weight loss/excerise
Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: May 02, 2007 05:53AM

yoga/pilates/rebounding/spinning/bikeriding

for my body these seem to be the best... I find that it is the most helpful to practice yoga along with another exercise. It's a great compliment to... anything imo.

good luck.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2007 05:53AM by ILoveJen.

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: May 02, 2007 06:15AM

How much olive oil/fat are you putting in the salad...

And there is no "best excercise". Obviously running burns more calories than walking but if you hate running you're not going to stick with it so it wouldn't be the "best excercise" for you. Find something you like doing and can stick with.

Might want to try fasting for the weight loss..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2007 06:20AM by LikeItOrNot.

Date: May 02, 2007 12:41PM

The best exercise there is for weight loss on the raw lifestyle is exercising your patience!!!

The raw lifestyle is not a quick fix for wieght loss....

Now your raw your no longer in charge of what your body does, you have to let nature take it's course, you obviously have some healing to do first before you can get to the vanity stuff/weight loss, so get active have fun, experiment with new raw foods and let your body do it's thing!

F1

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2007 12:42PM by The Fruitarian One.

Posted by: Peisinoe ()
Date: May 02, 2007 03:17PM

I disagree with fasting for weight loss. I think that is dangerous and could start up an eating disorder.

Be very very careful with yourself if you decide to fast!!
(I get worried when I hear people say they will stop eating for weight loss...)

much love
xxpeisi

Posted by: Yogamama ()
Date: May 02, 2007 03:22PM

Anything that gets you moving and keeps you interested is a good workout. I am a firm believer in strength training, even if it is just twice a week. Muscle burns so many calories, all day long, so the more muscle you have, the more calories you will burn. Cardio can only do so much. And if you are a female, don't worry about strength training "making you bulky" - that is just about impossible!

Posted by: ferg ()
Date: May 02, 2007 03:25PM

VeggieLove,

Why not try going 100%? That might help you reach your goals... what are you
eating for the other 10% that is not raw?

Do you do any exercising now? Even walking for an hour a day would be beneficial (also, walking is just as beneficial for weight loss and health as
jogging/running).

Perhaps for now, just try to make your goal to feel good, to feel healthy and happy; everything else will fall into place.

Here are some inspirational quotes that help me get through:

Have patience. Everything is difficult before it is easy.
- Saadi

It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.
- Confucius

Cheers,
Ferg.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: May 02, 2007 09:42PM

I agree. It might be time to try to move on to 100% raw.

I found that after menopause, even on all raw, my weight started wanting to slide up the scale. I've been doing about an hour a day of yoga for over 20 years. I added running, walking, and an aerobic program with hand weights. I also started soaking my sunflower seed/sesame seed combo I'd been eating UNsoaked for about 15 years. I now soak them (1/4 cup sesame, 1/4 cup sunflower) for about 8 hours and rinse and drain them about another 24 hours.

I find that the most effective exercise for keeping my weight down is the running/walking (although I'll never give up my yoga, and I really like the handweight aerobics). And the change to soaking my seeds also seems very effective, perhaps because the longer the seed is soaked, the less oil in the seed, and the more nutrition available; so I stay satisfied longer, while consuming less fat.

Posted by: fuzzysox ()
Date: May 02, 2007 10:03PM

hey suncloud im wondering hav u ever soaked pumpkin seeds? if you did for how long? and can you soak the already shelled ones? thanks lol

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: May 02, 2007 10:46PM

Hi fuzzysox. smiling smiley

Yes I have soaked pumpkin seeds out of the shell. I'm sure they can be sprouted with the shell on them too, but if you're sprouting for the sprout and not for the young greens, it's less of a hassle if you sprout without the shell, because you won't have to remove the shells when the sprout is ready.

If you're sprouting them for the leafy greens, after a few days of sprouting, I think the shells would probably fall off, so maybe you wouldn't have to remove them, or if you did, it might be pretty easy. I don't know how good the greens taste. Anyone else know?

I think when I sprouted them, I soaked them overnight, then rinsed them every 4 - 8 hours or so, while letting them drain for maybe 24 to 36 hours.

I only tried soaking the ones that were labeled organic. They seemed a lot plumper and alive than the conventionally grown shelled pumkin seeds that usually look kind of flat and dead.

They tasted very good, but for me they were a little rich. Not to say they wouldn't be great for someone else. Pumpkin seeds are very high in protein - one of the most protein concentrated foods on the planet.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: May 02, 2007 11:14PM

Suggestions:

1) Avoid processed foods, salts, spices & oils
2) Eat simpler, less mixed meals
3) Eat smaller meals - more often (4-6 per day). NEVER be hungry.
4) Do not fast
5) Engage in a good walk every day
6) Get plenty of fresh air and reasonable sunglight every day
7) Concentrate more on eating lots of greens and vegetables
8) Find a lo-cal, high-fiber snack that helps keep you full - with a low calorie cost
9) Find small ways all day to increase your activity (park farther away...take the stairs....)
10) Visualize and feel comfortable at your desired weight
11) As F-1 said: Be patient and give yourself a more generous time-frame to make your lifestyle and emotional changes

-Just some opinions.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: love ()
Date: May 02, 2007 11:16PM

I wouldn't try to loose it, I would release it! If you loose something your brain wants to go find it again. What you focus on expands: focus on having perfect health and a perefct body. Don't focus on loosing weight or having your stomach thinner. Focus on health and your body will automatically begin to release weight so then it will be healthy for you.

And love yourself! Give yourself compliments! What you say and think to yourself is what you are!

You can say this to yourself: "I am getting thinner!" "I am lighter!" And believe it! Start paying attention to how you think and speak!

Love to all!

love

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2007 11:18PM by love.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 04, 2007 12:57AM

add weight training into that mix smiling smiley building muscle helps burn fat smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: veggiel0ve ()
Date: May 04, 2007 02:39AM

thanks everybody for your advice. I have been doing my research and i feel as if I have been eating way to many fats. I decided to eat fruit mostly all day, with a nice salad at night with a little fat. I also began running and walking every night, or hiking..but always getting excersize in everyday!! Thank you all, blessings.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables