Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

"This could be the longest night . . . " Trying not to slip
Posted by: Fud ()
Date: May 02, 2007 04:09AM

Tonight I felt pretty bad as the evening wore on so I tried to lay down. I've been trying not to rely too much on avocados during these first few days because I want to get used to eating a lower percentage of fats than healthy carbs. Unfortunately trying to stay lower in fats this soon in the ball game is giving me some grief. Whenever the family cooks and I smell it the cravings kick in and can only be satisfied with fatty foods. That's why I broke and made guacamole the other day.

Tonight was especially terrible. My oldest son decided to start cooking at 11:00 because he was hungry. He's been going through a growth spurt so we've been allowing this where we normally wouldn't.

The smells and aromas from his cooking penetrated the closed door to where I was trying to sleep and started driving me nuts. I hadn't eaten in several hours. I had already posted to my blog so I was trying to wait until a.m. to eat again. The smells of the foods drove me nuts. I managed to hold off, making guacamole again and dipping cauliflower in it and calming my cravings some.

I'm still struggling though. I really wish I had a good support group similar to an a.a. system. I could really use a sponsor right now to talk to and try to get through this. I'm going to lay down after posting this. I'm just hoping I can work myself through this and get to sleep. the morning is another day.

I've really got to add more calories to my diet tomorrow to see if that helps reduce the intensity of this. I'm actually having the stomach cramps like withdrawal symptoms right now.

For those who pray, please put me on your list. My prayer is to make it through this phase.

Good night.

[rawfoodtrip.blogspot.com]
[jugglingforjoy.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: "This could be the longest night . . . " Trying not to slip
Posted by: anaken ()
Date: May 02, 2007 04:29AM

yeah, its a good habit to stay full and eat late enough in the evening (but before sunset) that you don't have the physical desire to eat. of course the emotional factors and old habits are going to advance on ya..eventually you'll have the tools to handle the situations and certain things, how should I say - won't seem accetable to you. kinda like a 'why would I do that' until even that thought disipates...

growth spurt or not....gotta put a lock down on those pots

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 02, 2007 05:30AM

i found zuchinni to be a really dense filling food for me especially late at night.

i ate lots of zuchinni in my eearly days lol

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: earthangel ()
Date: May 02, 2007 07:28AM

hey there....well that is tough...i agree zucchini is a yummy filling food...i slice it with a peeler since i don't have the spiral slicer yet...and then i put some fresh herbs on it and a spray of braggs sometimes..then let it marinate if i am not starving hahah or dig right in i find i will peel about 2 of them and have plenty to fill my tummy with!!!!! hmm but that guac is good for you too...good that you had something yummy to fill up on..and cut the cravings...good for you!!!!i also made cauliflower rice a lot the first few weeks......i would put a head of cauliflower through the processor...then add some herbs...a little braggs...whatever seasoings you might like..chil....taco type...italian...you name it..mix it up....and you have yourself a grainy textured treat haha..it reminds me of couscous or rice.....you can add few raw olives or sundried tomatoes...or whatever you like..that was s tape for like 2 weeks haha....smiling smiley good luck....
oh and one more thing is a pint of grape tomatoes..it isn't many calories but sure fills my tummy up!! they are soo good
have a good night hope you are sleeping with sweet dreams
love earthangel
xoxoxoxoxo

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: May 02, 2007 08:28AM

fud

good luck

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: May 02, 2007 02:07PM

I think when you are starting out you should eat any and all the raw you want. I know you're trying to lose weight but staying raw is your first priority right now. It gets easier but for now I would eat, eat, eat. The cravings can be maddening in the beginning but in my experience they get better. Staying full was my best weapon. Also, just my opinion, but I think your boy could grab something quick that does not have to be cooked after a certain time. Look where that kind of eating got you. You don't want him following in your same unhealthy footsteps.

Posted by: Fud ()
Date: May 02, 2007 02:33PM

Thanks for all the encouragement.

I made it through the night. I ended up putting in ear plugs because that helps me get into a deep sleep for some reason. If I don't use ear plugs I sleep very lightly while eating raw. I slept pretty heavy and actually didn't even wake up to go to the rest room Like I have been the first few nights. I've had 4 oranges so far this morning and I'm going to the store to get some more bananas. I hope they have some more on the green side than the brown. My bottom lip swells horribly from eating bananas with brown spots or over ripe pineapple. Besides, the perfect yellow bananas go brown overnight it seems.

For any who prayed, thanks. It took a while for me to get to the point that I could fall asleep and I was struggling even when laying down. It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the stomach cramps. I keep telling myself they're psychological but my abominal muscles are sore this morning.

This is going to be tough. I'm beginning to think it will be easier on the road than here. At least then I won't have someone cooking at all hours. I may have to go ahead and start my trip. I can always finish up the things I'm delaying it for when I get back.

[rawfoodtrip.blogspot.com]
[jugglingforjoy.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2007 02:33PM by Fud.

Posted by: amybass ()
Date: May 02, 2007 02:41PM

It must be hard having a bedroom right by the kitchen. I can understand how you are feeling, thank goodness my kids are too young to cook anything late at night. That guacamole sounds good, wish I had some. winking smiley

Just started my rawfood journey and blogging daily about it here: [journeyforhealth.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Peisinoe ()
Date: May 02, 2007 03:09PM

A tip from me:

Eat a lot earlier in the day... You won't be as hungry later in the evening because you will have already gotten lots of vitamins and minerals. I eat most of my food for breakfast and lunch... And I mean, a LOT.

Hope that helps
xxpeisi

Posted by: shep252 ()
Date: May 02, 2007 03:45PM

Don't get down on yourself, and don't limit yourself. That's how I failed the raw diet and ran into problems. Be good to yourself.

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: May 02, 2007 04:28PM

Fud,

Good for you making it through that night.

I agree with the others here who suggested to just eat what you want as long as it's raw. Also, it sounds like you're not eating enough. My experience is that often it takes a whole lot of food to feel full on raw -- lots of fruits, lots of veggies.

Have you read 'Raw Family'? The Boutenkos went raw that way, just eating anything and everything they wanted, when they wanted it, as long as it was raw. When I went raw a few years ago, that's what I did. At first I had a fair amount of avos and nuts in my diet but that pretty quickly stopped and I found myself eating mostly fruits and greens. I think if you just let yourself eat real food (i.e. good raw food), your body will heal itself and your appetite will adjust naturally. Just take it easy, don't strain, and make sure you let yourself eat enough and eat the foods that appeal to you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables