Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

acne and what itmeans!
Posted by: fuzzysox ()
Date: May 02, 2007 06:50PM

yaay! i finally found the info i needed, just thought id share t with those of you who r interested:

Pure + simple is here to help. We are offering educational articles with our clients needs in mind. Below are links to different skin conditions where you will find explanations + solutions for your skin's specific needs. Please check back regularly for updates.

Sensitive + Rosacea Skin Aging Skin Acne

Acne Skin
• Acne

What is Acne?

Causes of Acne

What Your Blemishes Are Telling You
• Traditional Solutions + Why They Don’t Work
• A More Natural Answer
• Simple Rules for Banishing Blemished Skin
• Solutions

• Covering up + Make-up

Small Break Outs

White Heads
• Cystic Acne
• Acne-prone Skin + Sensitivity
• Acne-prone Skin + Dehydration

Acne

Zits, pimples, pustules, blemishes.

Whatever their name — we hate them. In this age of high stress, pollution + junk food diets, acne is widespread. For some people, acne is a minor annoyance, for the less lucky, it lowers self image + self-esteem.These people are prime victims for the false promise of beautiful skin from makers of deep pore cleansers + oil absorbing creams.

I was one of these people.

“I couldn’t even look people in the eye,” a friend once told me.

“I feel people talking to my blemishes when they are talking to me”, another friend shares.

Usually, acne begins as a minor frustration caused by hormones, bad products/regimes or stress. It is when the obsession over break outs + we start to pick + squeeze that the problem is made much worse + much deeper.
< Back to Top
What is Acne?

In short, a break out is a clogged pore which has become infected. It is a comedone which becomes a pustule due to many factors discussed below. This is why the minimization of blackheads decreases acne.
< Back to Top
Causes of Acne

1.Clogged pores due to product + make-up
As explained previously, synthetic products have pore clogging ingredients. This causes a comedone which is a component of a break out. Often, acne sufferers will be dependant on cover up cosmetics to hide their blemishes, only worsening the problem. Even if good skincare is used, the clogging effect of commercial make-up lines prevents the skin from fully clearing up. A pressed powder natural mineral make up is beneficial for a good cover-up without clogging.

A quick + relaxing way to unclog pores + get a start on great skin is a Pure + simple Facial Treatment. The Urban Renewal Facial is specifically designed to clean up stressed out city skin with enlarged pores.

2. Excess oil
Excess oil is the commonly blamed culprit of acne prone skin. It is generally believed if the skin is stripped of its oils, it will help prevent + clear up blemishes. This is not true. While excessively oily skin has a propensity to break out as pores are more easily clogged etc, oily skin can the most beautiful + healthy of skin types if properly maintained. Oily skin does not need to use oil control products despite popular belief. This may actually induce acne by dehydrating skin, which more often than not results in clogged pores. Oily skin must make sure hydration of the skin is maintained so that oils do not dry +/or solidify in the pores before flowing onto the surface of the skin to keep it dewy.

A great way to reduce oil production is to use a high quality oil blend. The body will produce less oil when the body no longer detects a need for it. Some excellent + proven oil moisturizers are Dr. Hauschka Normalizing Day Oil, Jurlique Daycare Face Oil+ Pure + simple Pure Skin Face Oil.

3. Dehydration
Dehydration is actually the most common cause of acne in my experience. Because oils will harden in a dry environment, clogged pores will result. Often people break out during the seasonal change to winter or if moving to a drier environment. Most people believe it’s the humid environment that would cause breakouts but this is a less common case. While the sun may be a factor, it is usually the absence of moisture which causes acne. Internal dryness (the need for more water in the body +/or more oils to retain the water) is one cause. But aiding dehydration topically is just as important if not more. We cannot control how our body disperses the water we ingest, or which areas are being hydrated, so using products which will give us more moisture is the most direct way to fight dehydration. Oil based products will also help seal in water. Cigarette smoking, caffeine + alcohol are dehydrating as well as taxing to the liver.

One of the best ways to hydrate the face is Collagen. Hydrating Serums like the Algae Serum + Vitamin Enzyme Serum. Act as the hydrating base under a moisturizer in cold dry weather + can be used a light moisturizer for oilier skin types in summer.

4. Sun
Sun exposure can cause acne as it stimulates the sebaceous glands. It can also cause eurythema (burning) which weakens the skin by traumatizing it + acne results from the reduction in the skin’s immunity.

Some great ways to protect skin+ cover up blemishes + large pores is the Pure + simple natural mineral make-up.

If you don’t want make up then a natural sunscreen will be a great suggestion. Choose from the titanium based products of Lavera + Dr. Hauschka Sunscreens from Germany or the Zinc based UV Naturals from Australia.

5. Toxins and Liver Overload
Chronic acne is almost always an indication there is an imbalance within. This is the root of the problem, + even the purest products cannot heal this. The skin is the largest organ of detoxification. Whatever toxins not eliminated through the intestines + digestive tract will come out through the skin. This is why elimination is so important.

The liver specifically is the organ which is most related to acne. The liver has many important functions. But one of them is filtration. The liver is the filtration centre of the body. It is like a wet sponge. If it is overloaded, it will not absorb or filter anymore, + the excess toxins will spill into other areas, + most likely be purged through the skin as acne.

This is why sleep is important as the liver detoxifies between the hours of 1am + 3am, so sleep is important to help regenerate the liver. Also, the liver governs a lot of hormone filtration + is closely related to the emotion of anger. Those with a taxed liver will be quick to anger. Anger is aggravated by the Pitta Dosha. Most acne is believed to be caused by the heat of Pitta with the accumulating of toxins of Kapha. Natural Ayurvedic supplements tend to Detox without the aggressiveness of laxatives while balancing the digestive system like Triphala or Triphala Guggulu, Neem + Para Cleanse.

6. Hormones
Hormones play a huge part into break outs. Many women get breakouts around their menstruation period. This because it is a time of increased Candida + yeast in the body.

Others start break outs when coming off the birth control pill. The body is balancing itself out + purging toxins. When going through any hormonal changes, the body is out of balance + may result in pimples. This is due to excessive heat (in an Ayurvedic sense) within the body, purging of toxins, + lowered immune systems. Dr Leung, a Doctor of Chinese Medicine, has a more specific theory about hormonal changes + acne. Leung says that when the body goes through hormonal changes it uses up Panthothenic Acid, a Vitamin B. This same vitamin metabolizes fat. If this vitamin is used up, fat is not metabolized in the body + excess oil in the skin is a result. Taking high doses of Panthothenic Acid supplements are Leung’s solution.

Depletion of the adrenals (+ over production of adrenaline) + the production of testosterone are other hormones which play a role in acne. For a natural herbal supplement for boosting adrenal function, I am a great believer in Banyan Botanicals’ Organic Ayurvedic remedies, like Ashwaganda + Stress Ease.

7. Stress
Stress is a killer that can also be murder on the skin. Stress also utilizes the B vitamins up + is therefore related to Leung’s belief on acne.

It taxes the whole body, lowering its entire immune system, leaving it defenseless to bacteria + infection + will not be able to detoxify or regenerate as easily. If the body is under stress it will also dehydrate. The adrenals are located on top of the kidneys. The kidney control when we retain + release water from the body. When you are under stress, adrenaline is produced to help sustain the body while it is in danger (fight or flight mode). Overactive adrenals will stimulate the kidneys to release water.

Undue stress contributes to acne as adrenaline production stimulates androgen production, the hormone that gives men more oilier skin than women. If the body needs adrenaline it will stop producing other hormones like Progesterone. A lack of Progesterone may prevent you from menstruating + exhibit male hair growth patterns. So, hormonal system imbalances cause acne.

Some remedies to support the adrenals + female hormones are Banyan Botanicals’ Stress Ease + Women Support.
< Back to Top
What Your Blemishes Are Telling You

Body + skin is being taxed. Internally or externally the skin is not healthy enough to fight off bacteria on its surface.

But areas affected + the type of acne, it will indicate what is going on inside. It can be an early warning sign. Often, this is a blessing in disguise, a superficial way to display an imbalance, yet we rarely see acne as anything positive.

Types of Acne
Milia - Milia are small pimples, usually related to clogged pores. Milia is usually governed by Pitta as these blemishes are related to heat. All inflammation + infection is related to “heat”. Balancing Pitta is important. This acne is also very related to stress. Hydration is also important to prevent clogging pores as well as using pure products.

White heads - White heads are pimples with a white puss filled tip. White heads need anti bacterial treatment for prevention. Extracting them when they are ready is the fastest way to heal them. But if this is not possible to be done by a professional, a drying clay or mud spot treatment is excellent. This helps draw out the blemish + dry it out.

Cystic Acne - Also known as blind pimples. Cystic acne is large pimples with no white head. They often hurt or are tender. Cystic acne must be removed by pricking them with a needle + extracting the fluid. This acne scars most easily. Arnica help drain fluid, so applying arnica cream or water is very effective. But unlike most acne, cystic acne is governed by Kapha. Kapha is water, Kapha is holding + retention. This is fluid retention. Balancing Kapha is important. Also an antibacterial is important. Because cystic acne is infection which has affected the dermis layer (the acne is much deeper), products + treatments which work on the dermis layer is important. Some say that severe cases of cystic acne need antibiotics to kill bacteria + infection in the dermis layer. Each case is individual, in my opinion, the avoidance of internal medication is always the best option.

Parts of The Face + What is Says
Do you ever wonder why acne appears on certain parts of your face? Do you find that you get a blemish in the chin areas just before you menstruate?

Many people believe that acne is product related. But why is it not equally dispersed all over the face?

When Acne is isolated to areas it can help you understand your body better by indicating an internal problem. If you refer to the face map, you will see that where blemishes appear corresponds to the internal. For instance, pimples between the eyebrows indicate an overloaded liver. Smokers or those with allergies breakout in the cheek area because the upper cheek corresponds to the lungs. People who quit smoking also may start to break out in the lower cheeks as toxins are purging from the body.

The acne on the chin can indicate a hormonal imbalance. Many of my clients have breakouts on their chin when they go off the birth control pill.

The Forehead is gastro-intestinal system, that is affected by the overactive mind. While the jaw line refers to the adrenals + hormones (adrenaline is a hormone + the hormonal system is holistic as they will each affect one another).

In Ayurveda, Vata governs the top area of the face, Pitta governs the middle (eyes to upper lip) + Kapha is the lower part of the face. This means that where there is acne, one must have an imbalance with that Dosha.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: acne and what itmeans!
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 02, 2007 07:53PM

got a link? smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: earthangel ()
Date: May 02, 2007 08:11PM

The acne on the chin can indicate a hormonal imbalance. Many of my clients have breakouts on their chin when they go off the birth control pill.

The Forehead is gastro-intestinal system, that is affected by the overactive mind. While the jaw line refers to the adrenals + hormones (adrenaline is a hormone + the hormonal system is holistic as they will each affect one another).

wow that makes a lot of sense considering my health challenges deal with hormones and adrenals...that is the cause of two of my dis-eases..cushings and pcos....so that makes sense for the occasional breakouts in these areas!!
tahnks hun
love earthangle
xoxoxoxox

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Date: May 02, 2007 08:41PM

heres the link:
[www.pureandsimple.ca]

hey earthangel! grinning smiley i kno i hav the same problems! but the cystic acne is on my upper and lower cheeks and jawline which means detox of toxins,, cleansing of the liver,, tho ive never smoked,, and hormone probs,, which i deffinately hav,, i am so glad i found this and that it helped you! :]]

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: May 02, 2007 08:50PM

I don't think we as people know how the body works at all. We can assume and give out new ideas. It feels right, that acne is pollution and detoxing bad foods. But what about stress? Stress makes you break out, but then, what about dehydration? Stress causes dehydration, so, why do people have acne on their face and not the rest of their body? Because they wash away friendly germs..so that is why we have acne, but what about hormones? etc etc etc

it goes on and on, and we really don't know. Hundreds of years go by and we have ideas. 100 years ago doctors said HUMORS caused acne, Humors were this kind of gas that lived inside us.

What do you think?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2007 08:51PM by coconutcream.

Date: May 02, 2007 08:56PM

i think its a combination of all,, or maybe its just one factor,,for me its all the factors,, eliminating stress, or trying 2 is great,, but not the solution for me,, i still have very bad acne,,drinking tons of water is also great,, but it still wasnt working,, and i couldnt figure out why it was only on certain areas of my face, and why it was so bad,, now i kno!

btw they talk about stress and dehydration contributing 2 acne on the website,,

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: May 02, 2007 09:52PM

Where are you coconutcream? Somehow that doesn't look like Florida (I've been gone for a while, so maybe I missed something. I apologize).

About the acne, I remember when I first decided to give up eating meat, my face broke out for several months pretty severely even though I was already in my 20s. My boyfriend reassured me that I was just "cleaning out", and that seemed to jive with the Arnold Ehret books I was reading then for the first time.

Well, the acne went away and my skin became smoother than it had ever been. For the first time since adolescence, I had a perfectly clear skin, and no more need for fancy skin clearing potions. Hurray!

Date: May 02, 2007 10:00PM

yaay!! grinning smiley thanks suncloud,, im so happy for you :] yah i wen from SAD, eating tons of meat 2 raw virtually overnight,, so i guess this was 2 be expected,, but im so glad you told me this! it gives me hope grinning smiley did you hav any really bad scars,, and did they heal?? and after how long? thankyou :]]

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: May 02, 2007 10:46PM

Hi Suncloud

That photo was in Switzerland.

Sometimes when it is hot out I get acne

Posted by: love ()
Date: May 02, 2007 11:09PM

Thank you fuzzysox! What does it mean about the dosha's being out of balance? Does that mean food out of balance?

Love to all!

love

Date: May 02, 2007 11:18PM

To fuzzysox: Nope, no really bad scars. Everybody's different of course, but I bet you'll be recovering soon and looking and feeling just great.

I think if it happened to me now I'd check out some of the newer stuff for acne that contains tea tree oil. It's available in the health food stores. I haven't read the total ingredients, and I know regular full strenth tea tree oil can be too strong for some areas of the skin. But the acne products containing tea tree might be worth a try.

Meanwhile, be proud of yourself and know that you and all of us are beautiful!

Wow coconutcream, hope you're having a fun time in the beautiful mountains of Switzerland! Yodelodelayheehoo! We're all so lucky to be living raw on planet earth.

Date: May 02, 2007 11:40PM

love when it says dosha it is talking about ayurvedic medicine,, you can look it up on google or go 2 that website up ther^,,ayervedic medicine is about certain body types and how they are out of balance,, it explains how 2 adress them according 2 the type you are,, i like it its helpful sometimes

what type of skin do you have suncloud? i hav fair skin,, and really bad scars,, im really afraid its going 2 be permanent, its very depressing,,im sure you understand, maybe,, did you have cystic acne? im using tee tree oil now but im afraid its really not enough,, my face literally looks like it was burned its so bad, its raw and extremelly red,,, im trying 2 find some scar fading treatments now so it is not so bad,,ne suggestions?

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: May 03, 2007 01:27AM

>acne and what itmeans!

If it's cystic, it means you picked the wrong parents.

Date: May 03, 2007 01:36AM

what?

Date: May 03, 2007 03:38AM

Hi fuzzysox,

Don't get discouraged. My face was kind of like that for a while too. It seems that at least some of my acne was probably cystic, although I don't remember people using that term back then, and I didn't consult a doctor. I considered my skin to be on the oily side, medium caucasian tone, not particularly fair.

If you're using straight tea tree oil, it might be too strong for your skin, and it might be aggravating the redness.

One product that helped me a lot when I was a teenager (and still ate meat) was called 10-0-6. It's a straight product, but I thought I'd mention it to you in case it's still available, and in case it helps. One of the main ingredients is allantoin (from the comfrey herb). It helped me very much for several years, but then somehow I seemed to develop an allergy to it, and it gave me big red lumps (just what I didn't need).

Rosa mosqueta is supposed to help prevent scarring. You can get rosa mosqueta oil and products containing rosa mosqueta from Aubrey.

At about the time my skin was getting really bad (in my 20s, a little while after I quit eating meat), I did my first juice and herb tea fast. I was really surprised at all the energy I had, and my skin got a lot better during that week (especially after about the 4th day). I was doing enemas back then too to help remove all the inside junk, and I was amazed at what came out. After I finished the fast, the acne returned, but overall, my skin continued to slowly improve on a vegetarian diet to the point where, within a few months, I could completely forget about my skin problems.

Looking back, I think my skin could have gotten better a lot faster if I'd given up dairy products then as well as meat. And all those things we hear about chocolate causing skin problems, I found from my experience to be absolutely true.

I have a couple of small discolored marks on the side of my face, but probably nothing that anyone else would notice. If you do end up with scars that make you feel uncomfortable, I've heard that dermatologists have a procedure that can be effective for removing acne scars.

You might try to get a little sun if you aren't already. Definitely not enough to burn, but just enough to help a little to draw out and kill the poisons accumulating in your pores. And definitely keep drinking lots of good clean water.

I think you must be on the right path if you're here at this site. And I really do believe your skin will improve soon. All that meat gunk has to leave our bodies somehow, and skin is one of the ways. Some people suffer through their skin, others suffer headaches or gas or body odor or something else, but whatever, probably none of us gets a free pass after eating the animals (who suffered more than we did out of the deal). Try to focus on the future and be happy and thankful those bad old meat days are over and you just have your temporary (visualize "temporary"winking smiley problem with acne instead of something like cancer or diabetes (which you might have ended up with if you'd kept eating meat).

Following a raw food vegan diet is something that can be very difficult at first for a lot of reasons, until you adjust and find what works best for you. But it is definitely worth it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2007 03:52AM by suncloud.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables