Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Are Brazil nuts in the shell raw?
Posted by: Fud ()
Date: May 02, 2007 10:01PM

I'm thinking of eating a few soaked raw nuts until I can get over this period I'm going through and try to use them to help me past the worst part of it. They have a "Trader Joe's" here that sells "raw nuts" I've used them in the past even before going raw because I've always preferred the taste of most nuts raw versus cooked, especially macadamia nuts.

One nut I haven't had too much experience with is the brazil nut. Are brazil nuts in the shell usually raw? I don't know if Trader Joe's has them labeled raw or not when in the shell and I thought I'd ask first since the drive is almost an hour to get there.

Thanks for any quick answers.

[rawfoodtrip.blogspot.com]
[jugglingforjoy.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Are Brazil nuts in the shell raw?
Date: May 03, 2007 01:01AM

well no timely answers so I put off the trip to trader joes. No sense doing something and finding out after the fact that I screwed up.

[jugglingforjoy.com]

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: May 03, 2007 04:55AM

Hi Fud,

I cannot tell you if they are truly raw or not when in the shell. All that I can say is that they taste raw. The nuts that are not in the shell are sometimes pasteurized, especially the almonds.

I have purchased the raw nut variety bags sold at Christmas time from the grocery store and the the Brazil nuts taste the same as the ones sold at Trader Joe's. I have read that other people in this forum buy some of their raw nuts/seed from Trader Joe's. Trader Joe's does have a tendency to pasteurize their nuts/seeds. So it's your call. The best source is from the raw vendors online but you have to wait for them to arrive. I like this one: [www.organicfruitsandnuts.com] This is Jaffe Bros. They have great dates. The honey ones are delicious. They also sell organic Brazil nuts.

Good luck.
Therese

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: May 03, 2007 06:47AM

I do not think they are, I forget why. I guess I shouldnt post unless I have facts to back it up. But I would ask from source like livingnutz.com

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 03, 2007 08:34AM

The brazil nuts sold for export to the U.S. and other countries are brought to packing houses in Brazil. There the in-shell nuts are dried in automatic dryers to produce a moisture content of 11% (in-shell) or 6% (shelled), for shipment.

Nuts are shelled by soaking in water (salt water, probably) for 24 hours, then the nuts are boiled for 5 minutes. The boiling softens the shell, and makes cracking (by hand or machine) much easier. Nuts that are to be sold as blanched or sliced nuts, may be boiled again, before blanching and/or slicing.

Remarks: The heat from boiling will kill the nut and remove its viability. Shelled nuts are not sproutable.

Recommendations: shelled nuts are devitalized. Buy only in-shell, and shell manually (a tedious and difficult process) as needed.
[www.living-foods.com]

Posted by: earthangel ()
Date: May 03, 2007 08:56AM

hmm some say the best tip on raw nuts...is to sprout them...if you soak them and they sprout they are raw smiling smiley they have enough living enzymes to continue growing right?? that is the general standard some give here ont he forum when this topic has come up before!!
good luck
love earthangel
xoxoxoxox

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Date: May 03, 2007 03:33PM

I seem to be doing ok today. I'll probably hold off on any nuts and seeds until I need an alternative to the other items. I don't want to depend on nuts and seeds long term anyways. They're just too much work for too little benefit that's too questionable. Save the coconut. I can get fresh young coconut at Trader Joe's sometimes. I might use that once a week or so for a few weeks.

I'm going to start researching physical activity to add in some exercises that won't be a major inconvenience such as having to drive 40 mins to the gym. I've been pretty sedentary this past week and I want to get into a higher level physically. Usually when I'm physically active the cravings aren't quite as bad.

Thanks for the responses.

[jugglingforjoy.com]

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: May 03, 2007 10:23PM

man..I really don't want to break the news on the young coconut...

don't stress so much about whats 'raw' man...enjoy

do you think all the raw superstars eat nuts in season right of a tree? (some might, some [very few] entirely do not partake of course)

I heard even boiled mango seeds still sprout..so even that isn't any indication

of course theres always all the behind the scenes things...but just go by your own senses/logic...how could a nut sitting on a shelf be 'raw'? it doesn't mean you shouldn't eat the thing...just compare it to all the things you used to eat... a 'raw' nut speaks of health to most folks...although it is a GREAT plan to not depend on your FOODS man...just yourself

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables