Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

wild dandelions in yards--edible?
Posted by: Mona ()
Date: May 08, 2007 07:04PM

I see a lot of wild dandelions growing in lawns and was wondering if the leaves are edible. Are they similar to what we buy? Has anyone here eaten them?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2007 07:05PM by Mona.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: wild dandelions in yards-edible?
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 08, 2007 07:05PM

ive eaten mine theyre yummy ..problem is the dogs have soiled the back yard now and other folks dogs have soiled my front yard so i think im gonna have to plant some in pots hehe

the youngest baby leaves are great .. when they get big an old they get bitterish smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Re: wild dandelions in yards--edible?
Date: May 08, 2007 07:13PM

I was wondering about dogs. Is there a way to get the dog urine off?

Date: May 08, 2007 07:16PM

i dont know hehe ive never tried. ...the whole thought of eating them even washing the dog pee off just turns me off lol

Date: May 08, 2007 07:16PM

i dont know hehe ive never tried. ...the whole thought of eating them even washing the dog pee off just turns me off lol

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: May 08, 2007 08:16PM

LOL!!! we had dogs and my parents still made us go out and pick dandelion greens when we were kids. i never thought of the details of that until just now. but our garden was in the same backyard as well. lately i've been wondering the same thing, how safe are they?

i think my mom would soak them in vinegar and water after rinsing, and then rinse again. that would probably clean them pretty well.

also, i think i'm going to find less wandered areas. which should have less doggie visitations.

peace-

Date: May 08, 2007 08:19PM

i think im gonna dig a bunch up an pot them ..they grow like weeds anyways ..then i'll just snip snip what i need lol

the vinnegar sounds good too

when i was a kid id put all manner of things in my mouth with no thought to it .. lol wonder when i became anal hahahah

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: May 08, 2007 11:16PM

What are "dandelion greens" anyway?

I have dandelions in my yard but no "greens" with them.. They don't look like anything I've seen in the store.

Do you eat the actual flowers? How can ya grow them in pots? I'm not eating anything from my backyard with all my dogs LOL There's some in the front though where the dogs don't go.

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: May 08, 2007 11:28PM

And do you never wonder if any creature peed on any of the food you buy in shops?

Get over it, it's part of nature! I've been eating unwashed wild greens every day from my garen and public places (where dogs go) for over 4 years and I'm still alive...

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Date: May 08, 2007 11:41PM

rob i hear ya, and ive been growing and foraging my own food for nearly 20 years, using my own animals manure etc ... although i keep the @#$%& cleaned up, my backyard is no safehaven from canine or kitty contamination lol

i really beleive one of the reasons i never get sick travelling around the world is my ability to get dirty and not worry about it, ive been exposed to all manners of bacteria , salmonella , ecoli etc from sick and not sick animals. i do beleive ive built up some sort of immunity by not buying into the "lets sterilize our invironment" movement smiling smiley

i wouldnt pick em from the side of the road either lol .. i do however forage offroad ... how is bambi piss any different ? its not i guess , im pretty sure bambi has a better diet though in contrast to the average pet winking smiley

Date: May 09, 2007 12:29AM

I figured I could gather some and clean them really well by soaking them in water for about 5 minutes then rinsing well. In Panama, I pick culantro which is a wild green I eat and I just wash it off and eat it with no problems. Mostly it's my daughter who is having the problems with dandelions being soiled by dogs. I really appreciate everyones input.

What I'm gathering from you, I can pick the leaves around the flower to throw in my salads. Maybe I should pick them when my daughter isn't with me and I won't tell her where I got them. Besides, I don't see a lot of wild dogs roaming the street, so I think they're pretty safe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2007 12:32AM by Mona.

Date: May 09, 2007 12:38AM

hehe well i havent seen any studies lately that says dog urine is harmfull.. im sure their out there

i say go on an eat em smiling smiley

i still gnaw on clovers while watching baseball at the local park smiling smiley

Posted by: Frannie ()
Date: May 09, 2007 01:05PM

I don't wash my organic greens when I buy them at the market, never really thought about the possibility that an animal might have peed on it. I do wash the wild greens I pick in my local park but only in running cold water. I think you're right Jody about building up your immunity when you're not so obsessed with hygienics. The only thing I'm careful about is when I've been handling the raw meat I feed my dogs and the kids ferret although I won't use bleach or anything like that, just soapy water.

Francis

Posted by: tiffany ()
Date: May 10, 2007 01:56PM

mmmmmmmmmmm wild greeeeeeeeeennnnnnnnnnnnssssssssssssssss

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 10, 2007 04:59PM

The spring leaves are really good. Herbalists advise eating bitter greens before meals to aid digestion. You can also eat the petals (the pollen is yummy). They look cooooool in salad.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables