Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
What do Brian Clemet and others advise you to eat?
Posted by: love ()
Date: May 10, 2007 12:14AM

Hello!

I saw a post on here about the hipo'''''', (don't know how to spell it or pronounce it yet). Something to do with Brian Clemet, and the Ann Wigmore aproach to raw food eating or something. Well, I was wondering what they advise you to eat? I know they are into fermenting and wheatgrass, and low fruit. What do they eat though? High fat? I know everybody's body is different and different things work for different people, so I am just wondering what they advise you to eat?

Thank you all!

Love to all!

love

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What do Brian Clemet and others advise you to eat?
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: May 10, 2007 12:48AM

Others can provide more detail.

But this much I have garnered from various sources:

-sweet fruit no more than 15% by weight, fruit juices should be limited and diluted with water

-Juice lots of vegetables, 2 glasses a day.

-Cooked healthy starches are preferrable to sweet fruits. I think he says 20% by volume can be good cooked food. Something like that.

-Lots of greens and sprouts.

-I think they backed off wheatgrass for bacterial reasons. I am not sure, I can't keep up with all of their theories.

-He does not seem to promote high fat.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: May 10, 2007 05:49AM

These lecture notes(from 12 years ago) tell what Clements recommends. 20% cooked by weight, which by calories can be closer to 50% cooked.

Posted by: earthangel ()
Date: May 10, 2007 08:43AM

hmm i recently went to see him..and he was promoting a 100% raw diet...but ia m not sure if it was just for the lecture or what...but he does think SProuts are number 1 and sweet fruits should be minimal to none smiling smiley
hope this helps
love earthangel
xoxoxoxo

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Date: May 10, 2007 06:42PM

Thank you all!

I might look him up on google. Does he have a website?

Love to all!

love

Date: May 11, 2007 06:36AM

you can find him at his institute page...hippocrates health institute!!! good luck hun
love earthangel
xoxoxoxox

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: May 11, 2007 08:14AM

In essence, sprouts, greens, sunshine, water, & excercise. I'm becoming a Green Goddess.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 11, 2007 09:40AM

I think he is perhaps the most common sense of all of them. Local food, sprouts and greens, you do not need to go to the corners of the world to get durian, maca, gojy berries, cacao beans. There will be something wrong with nature if our local food cannot sustain us. He is in line with the true great pioniers of health, Norman Walker and Ann Wigmore.

Date: May 11, 2007 10:09AM

Hey rawrr..newsflash..you are already a green goddess you are just improving smiling smiley
love earthangel
xoxoxoxoxoxo

oh and djatchi i totally agree with you!!! local local local and sprouts and greens that is what it should be about....available fresh produce..to keep you haappy healthy and kicking smiling smiley
xoxoxoxoxo

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Date: May 11, 2007 12:50PM

I don't like these oversimplifications and find them very misleading.

It's not likely that anyone could meet the bulk of their energy needs from greens and sprouts unless they were consuming massive quantities, which is very expensive. I think the only way it is feasible is to grow one's own and to juice a very large part of it.

It's also quite possible to meet the 15% sweet fruit by volume and still get most energy from sweet fruits.

Here's an example:

6 cup sprouts (alfalfa, mung, radish): 110 kcal
13 cup romaine: 106 kcal
4 cup each collard, spinach, celery: 140 kcal
11 cup cucumber 180 kcal
0.6 cup avocado california 227 kcal
4 cup oranges 340 kcal
3 cup apples 170 kcal
3 cup grapes 185 kcal
2 cup tomato 65 kcal
1 brazil nut
total kcal 1550
% kcal from fruit: about 50%
% fruit by volume: about 15%

So I guess he is a high fruit guy, too.

Posted by: tiffany ()
Date: May 11, 2007 01:10PM

are the percentages by calories? or by volume?

this has always stumped me

Date: May 11, 2007 07:43PM

Thank you everyone!

Do you only eat greens, sprouts, a little bit of fat, a little bit of fruit? And some cooked food? I mean is that what he recommends? Hmm. Interesting.

Love to all!

Date: May 12, 2007 03:15PM

There seem to be an underlining presumption that we have to be 100 percent raw to be healthy, it is not the case. We can experience great health on a diet of greens, sprouts, non sweet fruits and some cooked food.

Posted by: brian1cs ()
Date: May 12, 2007 04:08PM

Djatchi, Why don't you speak for yourself instead of speaking in absolutes?
It's great if that works for you, but I've tried it and it does not work for me. I achieve my best health when I'm all raw and I don't feel well when I add cooked food into my diet, even a little.

Date: May 12, 2007 04:51PM

Maybe it is not the "little cooked food", the transition to raw may not have built a strong body, I would say if it were me

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2007 05:00PM by djatchi.

Date: May 12, 2007 05:24PM

Djatchi, your ego knows no bounds.

Date: May 12, 2007 05:53PM

Sometimes the truth hurt. I am sure you accomplished great things before turning raw. I am not interested in who you are personally, ego or not, just the argument, the scientific evidence.

Date: May 12, 2007 06:11PM

I think the transition to raw may not have built a strong mind, Djatchi. I don't know what scientific evidence you're referring to and what more, I don't care. I found a way of eating that works for me and it includes sweet fruits and if that bothers you or you have an issue with it- too bad. Are you hurting because I said the truth about your ego?
Anyway, it's a nice day and I'm gonna make the most of it. I'll take up this issue when I get back, if I'm in the mood. Have a large slice of watermelon until then. It does a body good.

Date: May 12, 2007 06:29PM

I thought you are the person hurting, a "litte cooked food" does nothing to me.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: May 12, 2007 06:36PM

djatchi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There seem to be an underlining presumption that
> we have to be 100 percent raw to be healthy, it is
> not the case. We can experience great health on a
> diet of greens, sprouts, non sweet fruits and some
> cooked food.

djatchi,

you mean underlying i think.

i can understand where you would get that impression, and would feel threatened by other people extolling the virtues of all raw here.

although i will say that there is no question that a person can be healthy without being 100% raw - does that satisfy your problem with this issue?

it just depends on what you mean by healthy.

and it depends on your viewpoint about the negative and positive aspects of raw and cooked food.

but it is crazy to continue debating this.

let me ask you,

why eat any raw food at all?
why not all cooked?

Date: May 12, 2007 09:41PM

fresh Wrote:
>
> you mean underlying i think.
>
> i can understand where you would get that
> impression, and would feel threatened by other
> people extolling the virtues of all raw here.
>
> although i will say that there is no question that
> a person can be healthy without being 100% raw -
> does that satisfy your problem with this issue?
>
> it just depends on what you mean by healthy.
>
> and it depends on your viewpoint about the
> negative and positive aspects of raw and cooked
> food.
>
> but it is crazy to continue debating this.
>
> let me ask you,
>
> why eat any raw food at all?
> why not all cooked?

Good question and I think that is what the essence of the forum is about, exchange of ideas and experiences without getting into personal issues.
The main problem with an all raw diet in our present day living conditions is that the fruit and vegatables we buy were harvested weeks before and in many situation not given time to ripen on the tree. They are not as nutritious as they would in their natural environment where wild animals get them. Those who are able to grow their own food fruit and vegetables do not have that problem, that is why sprouting is so important. So a meal of 10 bananas and 15 oranges is not that nutritious, you may get the energy boost but the body in the long run is being undernurished. That is why those on an all fruit diet fail in the long run.
The forum does allow to discuss this but just to say you need to include some animal products in your diet to supplement the fruit and vegies. Animals product could be eaten raw but our bodies after thousands of years on cooked food may not tolerate that so we need to be creative in that situation.
Another aspect of the diet is that the food must be appealing to our senses. It helps the digestive juices and for some people a well made cooked dish mixed with some raw vegies may create an appetizing meal that is very enjoyable socially as opposed to seating alone and eating 10 bananas and 15 dates.

Date: May 12, 2007 10:43PM

djatchi Wrote:

thanks for your viewpoint, djatchi.

you didn't really answer my question, which was why not eat all cooked, but that's ok.

my comments:

> The main problem with an all raw diet in our
> present day living conditions is that the fruit
> and vegatables we buy were harvested weeks before
> and in many situation not given time to ripen on
> the tree. They are not as nutritious as they would
> in their natural environment where wild animals
> get them.

i think the fruits and veggies are of good enough quality to thrive on, even knowing the above. and i wonder how cooking something could improve on this situation, as it degrades the nutritional value, as opposed to enhancing it. if someone is not thriving and cooking allows for a greater variety, i can see that, but i haven't had the problem. many people may have that problem.

> So > a meal of 10 bananas and 15 oranges is not that
> nutritious, you may get the energy boost but the
> body in the long run is being undernurished.

this is mere conjecture. to prove this you would need to compare our nutritional needs with the nutritional content of the above. otherwise your statement is not going to convince anyone. i think most organically grown bananas and oranges are quite nutritious. we really need very small amounts of vitamins and minerals - you seem to be coming from a viewpoint of lack and scarcity. or perhaps you tried all raw and didn't do well?

or perhaps your argument hinges on the idea that you don't know of any raw fooders over 120 years old?

Date: May 12, 2007 11:00PM

Why not all cooked food?
Raw food contains the life principle, the enzymes and the rest, it is not altered by heat, it is natural.
BUT
the commercial raw food we buy is too clean and nutrient deficiency in many cases. When the cow eat raw grass there are other many living organisms that come with the grass, the same in nature but our food is washed, clean, not given time to ripen on the tree.
So commercial raw food will be lacking some essentials nutrient that you can get from animal food. An all cooked food diet is not advisable because you will be missing the life principle. An all raw commercial food is not advisable because it is too cleaned, washed and not ripen. If you can grow you own and not wash it the outcome may be optimal.
My diet is heavy on growing greens, juices, sprouts and non sweet fruit but once a week I eat some animal food and I am doing very well. I can share a bread with grandma without problem, cup of coffee or tea does not hurt me, I can stand with smokers without a single sneeze. It has worked for me for a long time.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2007 11:12PM by djatchi.

Date: May 12, 2007 11:05PM

djatchi Wrote:
>commercial raw food we buy is too clean

i think only b12 is affected by this issue.

Date: May 12, 2007 11:13PM

b12 is what science has discovered so far, there may be more

Date: May 13, 2007 02:46AM

Using animals seems to me a very cruel and inefficient way to get B12. All animals need B12. No animal makes it: they all get it from bacteria. Why not elminate the middleman and get it directly from the bacteria?

B12 is a very interesting vitamin. It is the only vitamin that contains a mineral (cobalt) and it is one of the largest naturally occuring molecules that isn't a polymer.

We need bacteria but most bacteria don't need us.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: May 13, 2007 05:48AM

Re: you seem to be coming from a viewpoint of lack and scarcity.

One thing about scarcity and abundance is people who view the world as one of scarcity also experience scarcity since that is what their mind is focused on. In the same vein, people who view the world as abundant experience an abundant world. I prefer to view the world as abundant. And in so doing, I receive abundance from the world.

For me, organic whole fresh ripe raw fruits and vegetables are abundant in nutrients, moreso than any other food out there. This is easily proven by looking at the vitamin, mineral, fiber, phytonutrient contents of fruits and vegetables versus other foods in the nutritional calculators like fitday, nutritiondata, etc.

Animal products on the other hand are low in vitamins, minerals (in fact they rob your body of minerals), fiber (non-existant), phytonutrients (also non existant).

Date: May 13, 2007 01:43PM

Djatchi, I don't know where you got the idea I'm "hurting". You didn't understand my point probably. I sure ain't hurting, baby. I eat all raw all the time and I've never felt better.

You,on the other hand, by your own admission, "eat some animal..." once a week (Times that by 2 or more I say) and cooked food, and you have the audacity to criticize people's diets here. You aren't vegan,vegetarian and I doubt a raw fooder, so why are you on this forum?

Are you trying to convert others to your style of eating? That's the general idea I get from your posts. I guess you fancy yourself as a pioneer of some sort in some style of nutrition.

Also I can tell from some of your posts that you are a master at fomenting controversy. Probably because you need the attention.
Well, you're not going to get any more from me. This is my last post ever to you regardless of your reply.

To Bryan,
Is there any way I can put Djatchi on ignore. I wish I didn't have to see her distasteful posts appearing on my pc screen. If not, maybe an ignore feature should be incorporated into the forum.

Date: May 13, 2007 02:26PM

brian1cs
Remember you were the first to write

Djatchi, your ego knows no bounds.
99 percent of my food is raw. I grow indoor greens, sprouts, wheatgrass. I learned 20 years ago from Norman Walker and Ann Wigmore. I am not vegan and do not plan to be, I am not 100 percent raw and do not plan to be. The rules of the forum do not require that and I have never invited anyone to eat animal products, I did mention that only because I was asked to explain why I said that being raw 100 percent was not optimal in the environment where we live.
I am not looking for your reply. The important thing is the strength of the argument and the evidence and you do not seem to have any.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2007 02:36PM by djatchi.

Posted by: khale ()
Date: May 13, 2007 03:48PM

I am glad that djatchi is here.

I can not imagine a lively forum in which everyone parroted everyone else; where everyone ate exactly the same way and agreed exactly on every point. How would we learn anything from anyone then?

The internet is precisely valuable in that it offers worldviews from people who are NOT all alike; ideas that are different or that challenge ones' own from a multiplicity of backgrounds, cultures, educational levels and environments.

Those who are too easily offended by that which opposes their own point of view are always trying to silence the opposing voice, and don't seem to consider that if everyone on the forum speaks in exactly the same voice, sooner rather than later, no one would have anything left to say and we'd all be locked into some kind of cheerleading camp in which rah rah's for the team would replace lively discussion and debate.

This world is full of people who are not like you. Peace begins with tolerance here and now, and the consideration, love and compassion shown the animals should at least be extendable to the human being occupying cyber-space with you now.

khale

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables