Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

How do you start raw diet?
Posted by: Hopebetter ()
Date: May 10, 2007 05:23PM

Hi all,

I finally came to this fantastic post. I truly believe that food you eat determines your health. I have several medical conditions-fibriods, chronic gastritis with metaplasia...I really want to give raw foods diet a try. I want get some advice on getting raw food started. Is there a concern with bacteria in raw foods? Do I have to get organic foods? Will it make you lose weight as I am so skinny and I do not want to lose weight? Can you gain weight with this diet?

Any advise or experience will be highly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How do you start raw diet?
Posted by: tiffany ()
Date: May 10, 2007 05:34PM

one day at a time and LOTS of bananas..... organic when you can.....oh and read here often, support is necessary for sucess...
lovenlight

tiffntwins

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 10, 2007 06:00PM

From my own experience I would suggest a gradual change. If you go raw cold turky (pardon the expression) you may find it too difficult and/or it might be too much for your body to adjust to. Try eating a raw breakfast, lunch, and then a healthy vegan dinner with lightly steamed veggies. as your body adjusts and your pallette changes you will know and eventually be able to be all raw...i am all for transition.

ps- make sure you prepare meals ahead of time and have 'ready to eat' food available at all times...(almonds, avo mixes etc....to fill you). When I fall off the healthy food wagon it is almost ALWAYS because I just got back from working out or working all day, am very hungry and nothing is readily available.

best of luck to you, you can do it. dont get discouraged if you find yourself stopping and starting a few times first, this is normal.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: May 10, 2007 06:06PM

>How do you start raw diet?

Get some watermelon and eat it.

>Is there a concern with bacteria in raw foods?

Maybe yes with some produce, the kind that you don't have to peel or remove rind. But I am not in the least bit worried about it. Healthy microbiota in our guts provide some protection from the bad ones.

>Do I have to get organic foods?

No, but it's good to support the cause if you can afford it. Better a conventional plum than an organic tortilla.

>Will it make you lose weight as I am so skinny and I do not want to lose weight? Can you gain weight with this diet?

That will be tough. Most people lose excess weight/maintain a slight underweight. But you can gain if you put your mind to it, eating a lot of calorie dense foods like nuts, avocadoes, coconut, etc.

Posted by: Lemure ()
Date: May 11, 2007 03:34PM

I've been eating raw for 3 weeks now. I have way too much gas. Is this normal? Does it wear off?

I was on SCDiet for years and I never had gas. Im suspecting the scd homemade yogurt helped me to digest stuff that now seems to be fermenting inside me without the yogurt.

Otherwise, I feel great!

I did go slowly towards eating raw, it was not drastic. Im still eating nuts that are 'raw' which Im sure are not really raw... and all that.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Lemure

Posted by: Hopebetter ()
Date: May 14, 2007 02:41PM

Thanks for your sharing. It's interesting to know that raw diet can cause much more gas than SCD diet. Can anyone give an insight that raw diet can cause much more gas?

this weekend I bought many different knids of fruits to start with and I decide to do it gradually and some foods such as fish I have to cook.

Thank you!

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 14, 2007 03:09PM

i think really important

make it fun smiling smiley

i fell out of the fruit tree (lol i love that expression) or off the veggie cart so many times when starting out, being obsessive and then hurtin my own progress as a ressult

try something new everyday if you can smiling smiley

im on a rainbow kick right now getting all the colors of the rainbow in i can find everday smiling smiley

read this link to discover what people said about gaseous explosius =p [www.rawfoodsupport.com]

i got everyone to ABC alphabet the fruits and veggies and then ate my way through the alphabet for a few weeks .. that was fun =p

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables