Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

about bitter greens and medicinal qualities
Posted by: fresh ()
Date: May 10, 2007 05:36PM

a while back, elnatural wrote:

>Doctor Richard Shulze says if you were to walk across America in the wild and taste eveything out there, the predominant taste will be bitter. That is where the most powerfull medicinal qualities lie, in bitter wild foods.
There is nothing wrong with herbs, bad taste for one does not disquallify them for another. Bad taste does not diquallify them for any one. Does it taste like candy, is not the test. How do they work is the only qualifier. In life do you want the easy, candy coated way out every time. It doesn't work like that at all. The most personal advancement comes from the hardest trials and are the most "medicinal".

For those who think bitter is fine, and using food as medicine is fine, consider the following:

in Guadeloupe, France there are many people that get parkinsons

there are many scientific studies that show a link between annonaceae (soursop and other fruits) and the disease.

turns out it's not likely the fruit (imo), it's the seeds, stems, leaves and other plant parts that are high in alkaloids that destroy nerves.

I do not think mild bitterness is bad, but I suggest that strong bitterness is not good at all and certainly using these plant parts as medicine and preparing concoctions is very dangerous.

you can search by parkinsons and guadeloupe to find the studies.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: about bitter greens and medicinal qualities
Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: May 12, 2007 05:13AM

I love love love bitter foods, always have, even before raw. Bitter is good for the liver, I hear. I just ate a head of radicchio, it was wonderful. I like eating some fruit with bitter greens, also. Bitter melon is one of the most bitter foods I've eaten. Also yarrow tea, which is very difficult to find, is excellently bitter. Bitter foods feel very cleansing & balancing. Not sure I would still like them if I were 100% raw, though.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables