Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

if you were new, how would you stock your kitchen?
Posted by: tiffany ()
Date: May 12, 2007 09:29PM

i have seen TONs of newbies ask this in the middle of another thread, and i have asked myself in the past 8 years or so....

so HOW would you, if you could start all overe again at day one of your raw journey, prepare your home and your kitchen and your mind for the best success?

what type of appliances? what type of foods would you have on hand more than others? complicated recipies? or see, grab, peel and eat?

what "mistakes" would you try to avoid?

loveand light

tiffntwins

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: if you were new, how would you stock your kitchen?
Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: May 13, 2007 12:32AM

I consider myself new, because I continue to learn. I always will. So I will always be a newbie. In my view the moment someone declares themselves an expert, they lose the opportunity to evolve.

"Mistakes" that I made in the past and like to avoid now:
* wasting time and energy on useless arguments, instead of living my life, enjoying it, and enjoying the presence of my raw friends
* pressuring myself to be someone, instead of letting myself spontaneously discover what I wanted to be
* feeling bad about making "mistakes" instead of recognizing them as valuable lessons
* lacking confidence in the fact that my body indeed preferred raw. For example, I was scared of getting rid of cooked, getting rid of stove from my kitchen. I could have done it much sooner.

Sincerely,
Gosia.

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: Elakti ()
Date: May 13, 2007 01:50AM

You asked for it: smiling smiley

I AM starting over as a newbie with some past experience. I'm in process of analysing what went haywire, why did I slip.

Usual supplies (then and now)

2 kinds lettuce---romaine and other
tomatoes, cucumbers, celery, bell peppers, baby spinach or spring greens
bananas---lots
apples, oranges (bags!)
seasonal fruit---at least 2 varieties
avocados, ripe and unripe
zucchini and/or yellow crookneck
dates-for sweet cravings and some dressings
olives
gogi berries and shredded coconut
pine nuts--maybe another type of nut (rotation)
almond butter--imo, good for transition for "heavy" indulgence snack
Bragg's (is it or isn't it?!?)

Didn't have Vita Mix 1st time around, but do now, and very happy with it. Use daily. IMO, high power blender is great to have, especially in beginning (where "beginning" ends for everyone is different probably smiling smiley
I like adding lettuce or kale to smoothies which was not so successful with ordinary blender. I find it very delicious. I don't vita mix anything I do not relish all by itself.

No dehydrator...even 1st time around was not into dehydrated crackers and such. I tried to like them, and that is one of the mistakes I made, heh. I'm all for trying new tastes, but not forcing it because it's such a popular thing or s/b so healthy for you. The thing I love about rawfoods is the freshness of water content food...made in sun smiling smiley
Others may really like dehydrated stuff and it may be a great help.

From my personal experience, too, I have found the Breville juicer so good, and so easy to clean. Literally takes minutes for clean up.

IMO, eat simply as is comfortable. However each individual needs to transition their own way. For me, personally, I do not get into the big 'ole recipes and mock food. Some are SO heavy with horrid combinations of fruit and a gazillion nuts of 4 varieties and oil. I think they may have a purpose for some, though, hopefully for short time.
Personally, when I was 1st time raw I had been eating simply for 3 months when I went to a Boutenko seminar (loved it), but we ate throughout day---a lot of "mock cooked", cakes, etc. After 3 months simple fare, it was all so fun to eat, and very tasty and I missed some of her talk because I was in the bathroom experiencing "consequences"! (Of course, there was lots
of demonstrations, 3 meals, so too much food played a part too!)
I returned to simpler fare, altho' I can sure make a multi ingredient salad!

O, still have questions to answer---so sorry for length!

Brief (?)---mistakes---not maintaining support and communication with others.
Allowing some cooked food to creep in...I can't handle it.
Not getting coaching when detox got really unmanageable for me.

Finally---The End. (How lovely your post, Rawgosia.)

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: May 13, 2007 02:27AM

I don't think kitchen equipment is important. I have a cheap food processor and some cheap dull knives (sharp expensive ones scare me). I also grind my flax in the coffee grinder. That's about it. I don't think dehydrating is all that great (it's also very energy intensive) but it can help if you want to make crackers and pizza crusts, etc.).

What I would do differently is to buy property with more sun exposure so that I could grow a lot more of my own food. It doesn't look like I will be moving so I am pretty much stuck with my low sun conditions and just some scrawny (but tasty) greens.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables