Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

How long to freeze bananas to make ice cream?
Posted by: Sparkler ()
Date: May 14, 2007 09:40PM

I'm asking because I really want some tonight but didn't have any that were already frozen, so I just put some in the freezer and am really hoping some of you will pipe up and say they'll be ready to be blended into ice cream in 4-6 hrs?

smiling smiley

Thanks!

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Re: How long to freeze bananas to make ice cream?
Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: May 14, 2007 09:53PM

actually, i think they might. i can't remember how long it takes, but you want them still a little soft so i'd think six hours would be about perfect.

i froze one this afternoon too!! i've taken to freezing whichever half a banana my little guy doesn't want, so that i can have my own treats.

and this has become one of my favorites.

peace-

Date: May 14, 2007 10:18PM

Thanks, MamaCass! I will try them out. smiling smiley

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Posted by: alanabanana ()
Date: May 14, 2007 11:27PM

I usually freeze them at least 8 hrs but I'm sure 6 would be sufficient. Also I've had no problem with leaving them in the freezer for a few days so you can always put the ripe ones in the freezer if you can't finish them all (of course I know that's a long shot with raw foodists!)

Posted by: uti ()
Date: May 15, 2007 03:06AM

Sarah,

Freezing banannas depends on your unit and how cold it is.

We buy our banannas by the case, so sometimes they may ripen faster than we can eat them. No problem, because we peel and freeze them. If we lose a few we shed no tears because we use the peels and over ripened or freezer damaged fruits to make a special compost that our roses love. We turn banannas into beautiful roses.

I found that our newer frost free freezer takes longer to freeze things and doesn't keep them as well as the old unit we still have on the back porch. Bryan told me that's because the temperature cycles up and down and warmer air flow is circulated through the compartment to evaporate the frost.

If you want to freeze banannas very quickly turn the freezer temp down temporarily to maximum cold and slice them lengthwise into thinner pieces. Place these in a singler layer on a cookie sheet or use a rack with a teflex sheet from a food dehydrator and put them in the freezer uncovered. You'll get frozen fruit in about 3 hours.

This technique is also a great way to freeze berries. I freeze my berries on a cookie sheet and then pack the frozen berries in containers for long term storage. They maintain their shape and don't stick together, so I can scoop out an amount for a smoothie or for mixing into my bananna ice cream.

Enjoy!

Posted by: morrisson66 ()
Date: May 15, 2007 03:09AM

I usually have to go overnight.. but about 5 hours works generally... which is why overnight works.. LOL

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: May 15, 2007 03:44AM

sleeping 5 hours these days? heh

Posted by: earthangel ()
Date: May 15, 2007 03:49AM

hey there...hmm i have noticed that it takes mine a long time haha..i didn't think it would but yesterday i put a banana in the freezer and it took like 9 hours and it was still al ittle soft smiling smiley but good luck hun!! it was still good though
love earthangel
xoxoxoxoxoxox

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Date: May 15, 2007 04:05AM

Well I just checked on them and they were still a little soft but I processed a few of them anyway and it turned out great, exactly like soft serve, but started melting fast. smiling smiley This was at 6.5 hrs.

Thanks for the help, guys!

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Date: May 15, 2007 07:08AM

haha yeah that is what happened to me too but i still enjoyed them smiling smiley
love earthangel
xoxoxoxoxo

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Date: May 15, 2007 03:20PM

mine made a perfect banana pop when i put it in five hours before. it was soft enough to bite, but chilled and icy. i stuck it on a bamboo chopstick, and my kiddo and i enjoyed it greatly.

glad it worked, Sparkler, i love the soft-serve texture.

peace-

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 15, 2007 05:23PM

hehe i just had my first frozen bananas of the season smiling smiley *slurp* now it really feels like summer is here =D

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Berlinpathos ()
Date: May 15, 2007 06:20PM

I work at Wild Oats, and they were going to throw away a whole case of organic bananas because they were "going bad." (they were getting brown spots and were perfect for eating.) Anyway, I got the entire case, which was about 20 lbs!
So I've been eating ice cream everyday... I just blend 'em up with frozen cherries and some young coconut milk. Oh. My. God.

Posted by: tiffany ()
Date: May 15, 2007 06:22PM

IM DROOLING....

I WILL HAVE TO TAKE A TAXI TO THE STORE ARGH.....

Date: May 15, 2007 08:42PM

berlinpathos-
be prepared for an invasion.

we're coming
to steal
your bananas

peace-

Posted by: uti ()
Date: May 16, 2007 04:11AM

I didn't come in from work today until dark and was feeling tired and hungry from my day. I didn't want to spend much time preparing food, so I decided on bananna ice cream so I could relax, eat and check out the forum. But I wanted something else to go with it even though the fridge is a bit empty right now waiting on our produce delivery later in the week. I found some shredded coconut in the freezer so I put some of that in the tri-best mini blender and ground it up fine, then added some water and blended it again, then blended a frozen bananna to thicken and chill it down.

I took this "sauce" and dipped my frozen banannas in it before running them through the champion to make my ice cream. In between banannas I drizzled more of the sauce into the champion. The result is an amazing coconut-bananna ice cream.

Date: May 16, 2007 09:54AM

mmmmm sounds yummy uti thanks for the tip!!!
love earthangel
xoxoxoxoxo

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables