Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

SKIN..
Posted by: zapple ()
Date: May 15, 2007 05:00AM

Just a quickie question for ya'll..

Since going raw I've had the clearest skin I've had in a long time (I'm 19.. had pretty gnarly acne since about 15) BUT lately it's become sooo congested.. not necessarily breaking out but.. clogged.

On a normal day my diet looks a little something like this:
apples, kiwi, avocado, flax oil/seeds, greens, tomatoes, wee bit o' olive oil AND maybe twice a week I'll have some fish (this is only recently, though) and sometimes I treat myself to a Larabar.. more often than not.

What do ya'll think is causing the congestion in my face? Sure is a bugger.

Thanks a bunch and love to ya -

-zapple

"As if you could kill time without injuring eternity.." - Thoreau

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: SKIN..
Posted by: Sparkler ()
Date: May 15, 2007 05:19AM

Hi,

I find that I have more skin problems when my fat intake goes up. My skin gets clear and stays clear when I keep my diet low fat. Right now my fat intake is higher and you can tell by my face...it's not horrible but like you said, it's sort of...clogged.

Hope this helps.

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Posted by: earthangel ()
Date: May 15, 2007 06:51AM

Hey hun...be careful with the fish it has toxins in it that can clog you up as well....but enough about that cause i don't want to get you in trouble since it's not vegan.smiling smiley
i think also it could be your body detoxing by bringing all the toxins and impurities to the surface to be washed or brushed away!!! but fat intake may be it asl well!!
good luck..try seeing about these things and then see what happends....
use a face brush like a body brush but smaller to help increase circulation and blood to face and get the toxins flowing out of there!!!
good luck
love earthangel
xoxoxoxoox

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Posted by: jono ()
Date: May 15, 2007 09:29AM

Maybe too many avocados, not enough flax.

Avocados are high in omega 6, while flax is high in omega 3 fatty acids. Omega 6's are more likely to fuel inflammatory pathways, while omega 3's help reduce inflammation (unless you get way too much).

ive been trying to balance my omega 3/6 at one-to-one lately using freshly ground flaxseed.

Also instead of using flax oil, freshly-ground flax may be better because it'll have all the flax lignans that are supposed to help balance estrogenic hormones.

Another idea is maybe too many sweet fruits causing blood sugar problems and increasing inflammation.

Posted by: rawfrancois ()
Date: May 15, 2007 11:47AM

definitely the avocados/flax oil. fat consumption, contrary to the lies they tell you in middle school, definitely has an effect on your complexion. i had a fruitarian diet with absolutely no fats whatsoever last year, not even so much as a banana, and i had beautiful skin, so i'm reverting back to that diet.

Posted by: bronwynsun ()
Date: May 15, 2007 01:01PM

i feel like i'd like to try the low fat approach, but am definitely concerned about getting enough to eat. i'm also very unsure about low-fat protein sources. i would have no idea what to eat...my skin is really nice on my body but i still have issues with my face and it really bothers me. i feel like i eat so purely, i should look super beautiful! haha

Date: May 15, 2007 01:31PM

rawfrancois Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> definitely the avocados/flax oil. fat consumption,
> contrary to the lies they tell you in middle
> school, definitely has an effect on your
> complexion. i had a fruitarian diet with
> absolutely no fats whatsoever last year, not even
> so much as a banana, and i had beautiful skin, so
> i'm reverting back to that diet.

Bananas are extremely low fat, btw. They just TASTE high fat. Mmm. smiling smiley

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2007 01:31PM by Sparkler.

Date: May 15, 2007 01:36PM

bronwynsun Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i feel like i'd like to try the low fat approach,
> but am definitely concerned about getting enough
> to eat. i'm also very unsure about low-fat
> protein sources. i would have no idea what to
> eat...my skin is really nice on my body but i
> still have issues with my face and it really
> bothers me. i feel like i eat so purely, i should
> look super beautiful! haha

Hi Brownynsun,

If you're eating enough fruit, you should be able to be both low fat and get plenty of calories to eat. smiling smiley

I don't usually worry about protein because I've been learning that too much protein not only usually goes hand in hand with too much fat, but can contribute to health problems. Fruit has about the same amount or more quality protein as human breastmilk, and veggies have even more. Hope this helps! In any case, I bet you could give it a 1-2 week trial and nothing bad would happen to you...good luck!

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 15, 2007 02:03PM

Zapple is so cute smiling smiley if anyone should ever play tinkerbell in a movie it should be Zapple smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: jono ()
Date: May 15, 2007 02:05PM

quinoa is a seed high in protein yet low in fat. you can sprout it in just a couple days, i plan to try doing just that when I get my hands on some, i was just reading about it today.

Posted by: Little Bug ()
Date: May 15, 2007 03:41PM

Hi Zapple,

Have you tried taking sweat baths? That's a bath that is hot enough and long enough to sweat the junk out your pores? It gives the kidneys a break and is one of the secrets to goddess-like skin.

Skin brushing is another little trick. You can brush the skin on your face if you have a really soft brush.

I think your diet sounds fine. And you name is adorable.

peace,

Jen

Posted by: zapple ()
Date: May 15, 2007 04:17PM

Thanks a buuuunch ya'll. Starting today I'm going to cut out all fats (as well as the ocassional fish).. just as a trial. I'm pretty sure that fats ARE the issue and that I already knew that.. but gee wiz.. I love me some avocado!

Have a fabulous day.. and smiles at Jgunn and Little Bug winking smiley

-zapple

"As if you could kill time without injuring eternity.." - Thoreau

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: May 15, 2007 04:48PM

If you want to unclog your skin, put some lemon juice on it for a few minutes, then rinse off. It might sting, so you could dilute it. Works great, do more than once a day.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables