Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

8" or 9" mortar and pestle?
Posted by: jono ()
Date: May 16, 2007 09:36PM

I think I want to buy a mortar and pestle, maybe this one here: [importfood.com] but im not sure if I should go with the 8" or the 9".

It'll be used to make sprouted nut and seed butters and nut/seed milks (grinding the sprouted seeds to paste and stirring into water). The idea is to reduce the oxidation and mangling of fats and enzymes that occurs with using a blender.

Does anyone have one of these big 8 or 9 inch hunkers? I'm leaning toward the 8" but a little voice keeps telling me bigger BIGGER!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 8" or 9" mortar and pestle?
Posted by: Avocadess ()
Date: May 17, 2007 02:53AM

I have the 6" one and am amazed how big it is. I suppose if you have no problem with the weight of the thing and you are making bulk amounts in it like that it would be okay to get the 9", but I wonder if you really want it that big. For one thing, the pestle that comes with the 6" mortar is already quite big and heavy. I would imagine each successive size up has an equally larger and heavier pestle. I personally probably would be a bit nervous about going with the very biggest one, but who knows -- maybe it would be great for you.

Am curious which one you will get and how it works out for you. Let us know! I sure love their sturdiness and they're cool to look at too -- and great for serving a big bowl guacamole at parties. winking smiley

Date: May 17, 2007 11:16AM

Thanks Avocadess (nice name!), I guess the 9" would be kinda hard to lug around. I think I'm going to search for a shop nearby that carries these so I can get a better idea of the proportions. I'll definitely post how it works out when I finally buy one.

Posted by: brome ()
Date: May 17, 2007 02:52PM

I have a 7" one (5" inside diameter) and it is pretty good sized and I'm happy with it. But if you plan on doing alot of grinding the 9" really looks good. The site you gave has really nice looking mortars at good prices.

If the one you end up with has a rough bottom you can smooth it with some determined hammering using a chisel or a geology pick. It took me an hour or so to smooth mine down. The granite was incredibly tough.

Date: May 17, 2007 08:17PM

hey brome, I like the ones on that site too, especially after reading the reviews they provide. hmm, dont think I wanna do any chiseling so will make sure to get a smooth surface... i read thats supposed keep the odors out.

Have any of you made your own tahini with a mortar and pestle? Maybe after soaking some hulled sesame seeds it'd be an easy task.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables