Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

New to raw (2 wks)...couple questions? (long post!)
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 16, 2007 10:40PM

Hi, all:

I like this place! I am glad I found it when I was searching for raw food info.

I am about 2 weeks into being raw now, and I have a couple challenges/questions...Some background on me: I have a very sensitive body/mind (especially since sustaining a head injury 4 years ago), and I have been getting holistic "treatments" for about 2 years now, because my body began "reacting" to almost every food I ate, and every environmental "situation" I encountered (weather-related, mostly).

Well...now that I have been raw for a couple weeks, I am noticing two things happening...1) I am seemingly going through detox already...I didn't expect it this soon, as I had read that it normally happens about 2-3 months into it, but I am also not surprised that my body "reacted" more quickly, given it's "nature" to be sensitive. I am feeling tired, irritable, my hair and nails are not looking healthy, and, I can't think of anything else right now. I guess I am asking...this IS detox, right? My holistic practitioner tested me (muscle testing) and said it will last approximately 2-3 more weeks, which makes sense to me.

My second, more important "observation" is...that, over the last few months, for whatever reason, my body has wanted less and less food, which I was fine with! (especially when it was partially the SAD!). Now, though, and understand that this RF diet is going to be a challenge to me because I dislike MOST veggies!...I am having trouble getting ENOUGH food! Because of my head injury, I have to keep things simple, and I have bought a bunch of "snack" raw foods that I munch on constantly throughout the day. It works pretty well, but, every other day or so, I just get sooo hungry, and I have already gotten to the point that I can't STAND the thought of putting any SAD food into my body! I have found that, if I eat just a few bites of quality beef, it gets me feeling okay, and not on "death's door" anymore. (Maybe the "meat" thing is just an old craving). I bought a food processor but haven't had the energy to use it yet. I also want to get a dehydrator because I need lots of "travel" foods, with me eating so little each "meal" of the day. It will be challenging for me to comprehend any "recipes"!

Sorry for the long post, but it has been building for a couple weeks now, and I need help resolving my "lack of food" options (at least until I can get a dehydrator). I have been eating:

- pumpkins seeds (lots of them!)
- banannas and almond butter
- carrots
- carob nut milk
- celery

The other contributor to the problem (of not enough food) is that I am having to incorporate new foods into my diet slowly, as I am even "reacting" to the raw foods that I have never eaten before (then I get a treatment, and I can eat it, but that takes time).

I am sorry if my post is rambling...I hope someone can make some sense of it! I hope to get to know a few of you new "Raw Friends"! Thanks for listening! (sometimes, listening is the most important aspect!) TashaPup.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New to raw (2 wks)...couple questions? (long post!)
Posted by: pihourova ()
Date: May 17, 2007 03:37PM

hi tashapup. i am also new to this way of eatting but i have not found myself to be hungry at all. there are so many things you can eat!

if you are having to get "treatments", what ever that is, so that you can eat certain foods, maybe your body is telling you something. foods that are right for some people might not necessarily be right for you. we are all different. i think you should listen to your body. especially if you are having some sort of allergic reaction.

the list of foods you are eatting seems very short. especially considering that there are tons of different foods you can eat and still be raw. perhaps you are hungry because you are restricting yourself to this short list. add some variety. different fruits and raw nuts. walnuts are great to ward off hunger attacks for me. i especially like to drizzle them with honey. works great to cure a sweet tooth.

this website has a recipe forum. i do not have a dehydrator yet either.

i wish you the best of luck and i admire your strength.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: May 17, 2007 03:42PM

TashaPup Wrote:

>though, and understand that this RF
> diet is going to be a challenge to me because I
> dislike MOST veggies!

this is perfectly fine and normal.
veggies have various "defensive" components that try and prevent
animals from eating them - they therefore don't taste good.

>...I am having trouble
> getting ENOUGH food!

i rely mostly on fruits to insure that i get enough food.

> Because of my head injury, I
> have to keep things simple, and I have bought a
> bunch of "snack" raw foods that I munch on
> constantly throughout the day. It works pretty
> well, but, every other day or so, I just get sooo
> hungry

snack foods are ok, often better than cooked, but they are typically dehydrated.
this is almost the same as being cooked.
it can lead to cravings.

>, and I have already gotten to the point
> that I can't STAND the thought of putting any SAD
> food into my body! I have found that, if I eat
> just a few bites of quality beef, it gets me
> feeling okay, and not on "death's door" anymore.

then it does sound like detox because if you eat this, it stops the cleansing that is occurring and makes you feel better in a way.

> (Maybe the "meat" thing is just an old craving).
> I bought a food processor but haven't had the
> energy to use it yet. I also want to get a
> dehydrator because I need lots of "travel" foods,
> with me eating so little each "meal" of the day.
> It will be challenging for me to comprehend any
> "recipes"!

try and gravitate more towards fresh foods if you can.

i would advise against a dehyrator.

>I have been eating:
>
> - pumpkins seeds (lots of them!)
> - banannas and almond butter
> - carrots
> - carob nut milk
> - celery

try and increase the variety of fruits that you eat.
and many leafy greens taste good.

>
> The other contributor to the problem (of not
> enough food) is that I am having to incorporate
> new foods into my diet slowly, as I am even
> "reacting" to the raw foods that I have never
> eaten before (then I get a treatment, and I can
> eat it, but that takes time).

depends on what raw foods you're talking about.
the reason could be that the food is reacting with elements that remain in your body, or it may be not such a good raw food, or it could be an allergen, or
it could be a low quality raw food, or food combinations, etc.

you may find some good info here

[www.foodnsport.com]

click on FAQ's and articles...

Posted by: Elakti ()
Date: May 17, 2007 07:57PM

Hi Tashapup,

I agree with above posts...start trying more fruits...it is summer and there are so many. Since ultra sensitive now, try eating different fruits, only one at a time until you are satisfied and see how you feel.

Try salads...would you care for a salad with lettuce and cucumbers or tomatoes or bell pepper (red, yellow or orange) or celery? The lettuce and celery are neutral and the rest are all fruit. Much of what people call 'vegetable' is really fruit...do you mean all that as well? I don't eat many vegetables at all.

Read up on this rawfoodism, and experiment. I'd really try to stick to organic.

Also suggest you read up on food combining...simple principles for proper digestion. And make sure you chew really well. I second the advice to not bother with a dehydrator.

Good luck to you,
Elakti

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables