Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

How does your body react to cooked food after being raw?
Posted by: CherryBlossom ()
Date: May 22, 2007 07:39PM

I have been eating raw for almost 3 weeks now and had a little slip yesterday.
I ran out of raw things to eat and made some couscous and ate a little of it.

I am not sure whether my symptoms are from eating something raw that was bad or eating that little bit of couscous, but I am having some nausea and diarrhea today.

Could it be my body reacting to eating something cooked?

How does your body react when you try to eat something cooked after being on strictly raw??

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How does your body react to cooked food after being raw?
Posted by: diana ()
Date: May 22, 2007 08:07PM

I think that it depends on what you eat, what percentage of raw you are, and how long you have been raw...BUT...do you know if you have wheat allergies...your reaction to the cous cous could be that you are allergic to wheat (gluten) besides the fact that it was cooked...also...if you have anything around that requires cooking perhaps it should be brown rice...

Date: May 22, 2007 08:13PM

Thanks for your help. I have suspected of being allergic wheat or gluten. My old diet consisted of a lot of wheat products and I was sick a lot.

How do you make raw oat meal? Do you know where I can find raw oats? None of the health stores I have been to seem to have it.

Posted by: Berlinpathos ()
Date: May 22, 2007 08:39PM

I ate an avocado sushi roll on my anniversarie, and I got a little mucous-y, but that's about it.
Here's an raw cooking episode on how to make raw oatmeal:
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Azura Skye ()
Date: May 22, 2007 09:36PM

im slipping a bit too recently, and had some cake on the weekend, now im ill, i have spots, sore throat, a cough and a knot in my stomach!

gosh i need to be raw-er!!

Date: May 23, 2007 12:57AM

Heh..Thanks for the youtube episode on raw oatmeal. Very funny. Too bad these ladies don't really go into much detail about the ingredients they are using. I have no idea where you can find the raw oats still..

I am afraid to consume anything that's cooked now in case I get sick..

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: May 23, 2007 01:18AM

if you have sensativity to gluten, this would be exacerbated (wrong choice of words because it is actually a GOOD sign) on a raw diet. I can't see this happening after 3 weeks...but anyway...I wouldn't be in FEAR of cooked foods making you ill. your oats question seems like you are -inteligently- looking for some transitional, grounding foods. I would think steamed vegetables/tubers and maybe some of the softer non glutenous grains like quionia and millet wouldn't present too many problems...surge it won't digest as easfeully as maybe your 'used to' on raw. but these are certainly better components of transition then glutenous grains. If you DON'T want to eat cooked food, I would suggest doing denser things like nuts/avos like once every other day.

IMO grains should not be eaten raw, not to mention oats ARE glutenous
you could try sprouting grains like buckwheat, some people find that helps them transition. however, cooking them makes the most sense to me

Posted by: James Smith ()
Date: May 23, 2007 02:31AM

I can be almost fine with one cooked meal, especially if it's light. But beyond that, I do get symptoms. First, I become more hungry / hungry for cooked. Second, I do get the stomach symptoms, like a bit of nausea or just feeling too full. Also, after a few cooked meals I notice differences in my skin.

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: May 23, 2007 04:53AM

Same as before raw. Except now I am actually noticing this.

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: May 23, 2007 08:34AM

If I eat some cooked leafy veggies, it doesn't bother me very much, so I used to do that a lot. Cooked grains though, or any kind of cooked starch, would make me feel about as dead as the dead food I was eating. It would take me several days and even a couple of weeks sometimes before I would recover my full sense of well-being. It wouldn't matter what kind of starchy thing it was. Whole wheat, potatoes, brown rice, buckwheat, same result. Yams, not quite so bad.

On the other hand, I really like raw sprouted wheat, and I can eat it with no ill effects. I guess I'm not gluten sensitive. I like the taste, and I find it very satisfying, whereas COOKED grains seem to set off some kind of uncontrollable inner appetite monster!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2007 08:39AM by suncloud.

Posted by: the enchantress ()
Date: May 23, 2007 02:42PM

Even a few months ago, cooked quinoa made me feel really good. But the last time I had it, a couple weeks ago, it sat like a lump in my stomach for like, 5 hours. As with suncloud, cooked veggies don't bother me much.

Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: May 23, 2007 02:54PM

Depends on how it's cooked. If it is low heat & slow cooked, then it's ok. If it's high heat, it is hard to digest. Most food I have to eat raw. There are very few things I eat low heat cooked.

There are many studies supporting that the higher the heat, the harder to digest. If you want to cook beans or grains, they should be soaked long, sprouted, then low heat baked for a long time. This gets rid of the nutrient inhibitors & makes them easier to digest. Some crock pots are very low heat if you set them on low.

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: May 24, 2007 06:20AM

James Smith Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can be almost fine with one cooked meal,
> especially if it's light. But beyond that, I do
> get symptoms. First, I become more hungry / hungry
> for cooked. Second, I do get the stomach symptoms,
> like a bit of nausea or just feeling too full.
> Also, after a few cooked meals I notice
> differences in my skin.

Wow, exactly ditto for me except that I get sick (for a little while) after eating any cooked.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables