Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

raw marzipan
Posted by: Peisinoe ()
Date: May 23, 2007 04:28PM

I have a craving for marzipan...
Any creative people out there have any idea how I can make raw marzipan?

xxpeisi

Re: raw marzipan
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 23, 2007 04:36PM

this is from another website...

Petals
Sprout Join Date: Nov 2006

strangers with candy....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would be happy to share my Marzipan recipe, but the Halva is not my own. The recipe is from "Beautiful on Raw" by Tonya Zavasta and the cookies are from "RAW" by Trotter & Klein. So they are not mine to share on the web

But yea, basically you just make a thick carob sauce and work it in the the halva.

Lucrezia's(me) Raw Marzipan:

3 to 4 cups of raw almonds

1 cup of light agave or raw light honey ( if using honey try to find some that has crystalized)

1/8 cup organic almond extract

rose water to taste

Blanch the raw almonds in a bowl of boiled water for 45 seconds, just enough for the skins to become loose. Plunge the almonds in a bowl of ice cold water. Pop the skins off the almonds. Then dehydrate for 1 hour or so ( if no dehydrator use lowest oven setting and keep door open) till dry.

Using a high speed blender, such as a K-tec or Vitamix, grind the nuts to a fine texture.

In a large bowl combine sweetner of choice, almond extract and a splash of rose water. Begin to mix in the almond meal, slowly, adding more till desired texture is reached. Raw marzipan will be like a softer kind of a play dough consistancy. Taste and adjust ingredients to your liking.

Put bowl in the frig for two to four hours. Take out and form into desired shapes. Roll in crushed almonds, carob, powdered cacao, or make a thick raw chocolate ganche and dip them in it. Or enjoy naked. refrigerate till hard. makes about 2 dozen small balls.

*** if you do not want to blanch the almonds, then soak them and dehydrate and grind them up. This will produce a more "natural" instead of the more traditional looking ones made with blanched almonds. If using agave incorporate more ground almonds to make up for the thinner sweetner and achieve the consistency you want. But this is best with honey. enjoy!

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: May 23, 2007 04:40PM

Bitter almonds (or maybe apricot kernals) and some kind of sweetner, maybe dates would work well. I've never tried it, but a friend once made some with bitter almonds and raw cane sugar.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: tiffany ()
Date: May 23, 2007 05:24PM

just a thought, but a quick search revleass that ingredients in recipies are not protected by copyrights.....only the "insructions" that may accompany them are...

[www.copyright.gov]

"Mere listings of ingredients as in recipes, formulas, compounds or prescriptions are not subject to copyright protection. However, where a recipe or formula is accompanied by substantial literary expression in the form of an explanation or directions, or when there is a combination of recipes, as in a cookbook, there may be a basis for copyright protection.

Protection under the copyright law (title 17 of the United States Code, section 102) extends only to “original works of authorship” that are fixed in a tangible form (a copy). “Original” means merely that the author produced the work by his own intellectual effort, as distinguished from copying an existing work. Copyright protection may extend to a description, explanation, or illustration, assuming that the requirements of the copyright law are met.

Copyright protects only the particular manner of an author’s expression in literary, artistic, or musical form. Copyright protection does not extend to names, titles, short phrases, ideas, systems, or methods.

ne who....i think you are awesome for being courteous to the "authors" of those books original poster!

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 24, 2007 02:57PM

hmm thats interesting so basically if you re-write the directions in your own way its not copy protected?

thanks tiff smiling smiley

honestly i dont even know what marzipan is lol i just googled it raw hahaha and im not sure what halva is either ?

but it has almonds in it so id probably like it winking smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: tiffany ()
Date: May 24, 2007 03:02PM

exactly jodi! halva and marzipan sound good.. mmmmmmm

Love and Light

Tiffntwins

`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

SWIM FREE FISHES!

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: May 28, 2007 05:27AM

Try the apricot kernels (for flavoring) for a strong marzipan flavor as Funky Rob recommended. The main ingredient of marzipan though is almonds.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: May 28, 2007 06:26AM

where does the name marzipan come from?
its an interesting word, i think

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: May 28, 2007 10:23AM

Wikepedia to the rescue once again:

"The German name has largely ousted the original English name marchpane with the same apparent derivation: "March bread." Marzapane is documented earlier in Italian than in any other language, and the sense "bread" for pan is Romance. However, the ultimate etymology is unclear; for example, the Italian word derives from a Middle Latin word meaning "small box" and originally having the meaning of a coin on which a figure of a seated Christ was imprinted. Among the other possible etymologies set forth in the Oxford English Dictionary, one theory posits that the word "marzipan" may however be a corruption of Martaban, a Burmese city famous for its jars."

[en.wikipedia.org]

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables