Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Fosamax and Oesteoporosis
Posted by: sahalies ()
Date: May 29, 2007 10:09PM

Hi,
I was wondering if there is anybody out there that is dealing with oesteoporosis. I have it quite severely, due to the eating disorder I battled in my teens and twenties, and last year my doctor put me on Fosamax. Having recently started eating raw foods only, I now don't want to put anything chemical based in my body, including the Fosamax. Is anyone else taking it or does anyone else have oesteoporosis? If so, are you taking a calcium supplement and what do you recommend for it? Thanks for any advice!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fosamax and Oesteoporosis
Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: May 29, 2007 10:31PM

Talk to your doctor ASAP.
my uncle is a dentist (a normal, run of the mill, quality dentist), and he recently went (in the last year or so) to some dental conference that told him tha Fosamax is horrible for the bones and teeth. it eats them from the inside out. he tells all his patients to get off it or stay off it because it is so dangerous. i believe it increases the porousness of bones and eats them over time.

sesame seeds, seeds, and more seeds. my mom is shrinking and i can't convince her to try more of these things because she doesn't eat fat. vitamin D is important in calcium uptake (hence the addition to milk) which is from sunshine, or cod-liver oil if you want supplements. or perhaps you should consider raw dairy to restore your body. it was a therapy that healed many people in the early part of the century, a raw milk only diet for a time. it's like being a baby again (i personally cannot stomach milk, but i also hate cod-liver oil, i'm just offering natural raw foods that can be helpful in this sort of situation). since you are in such a bad state already, offering your body natural and restorative calcium and vitamin D could be very good.

peace-

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: May 30, 2007 12:39AM

Did you find the medication helpful?

I have personal experience with this med for a differnt issue, I continued using it as I transitioned to raw, and for a time as 100% raw.

medications do not solve problems, but if you have a serious condition..a raw cleansing diet might exacerbate the problem. in case of brittle bones..this means they could break. I would suggest a transitional approach (would in general) but esp for people on meds.

fosomax I believe. is a NASTY med. the side effects i'm aware of are differnt then above, and involve more upper digestive tract issues. I havn't heard of them increasing porousness. although all meds are in a way, non-foods that are extremely toxic/drain the body of basic minerals, so I don't doubt it.

again. in the time I was taking it...not yet transitioning to any cleansing/healing approach. I experiences MAJOR recovery of my pressing issue. tack that up to coicidence, faith, or placebo...if was a differnce of walking/riding as opposed to not walking.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: May 30, 2007 02:08AM

I think you could gather up a bunch of studies on Fosamax, pro and con. Print them up. In particular search on osteochemonecrosis and biophosphonate.

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

You can cut down on the hits by using the "limits" tab and checking only at the review articles. (bottom left)

Also visit the USDA nutrient database, do a search on calcium and see which foods are best sources. Print them up.

[www.nutritiondata.com]

use the dropdown box to search on vegetables, fruits, nuts, and seeds.

(I do a head of lettuce, a few cups of cruciferous leaves, and loads of fruit with a handful of nuts/seeds daily).

You can do supps for D or sunshine. I pick supps for that one.

Then take your papers to your doc and discuss, hopefully you can come to an agreement together. Maybe a low dose? You have every right to be wary and he or she should respect that.

Date: May 30, 2007 03:01AM

Hi Everybody,
I really thank you all so much for your feedback! I have been very leery of taking the Fosamax, and I did stop it for a month, until my doctor said it would at least maintain what bone mass I have now. But I guess with doctors in general, one needs to do their own research and I will look into those websites you mentioned, Arugula. I found the information from the dentist scary, and how ironic that a medication that is supposed to build bone, ends up tearing it down. Thanks for that info, Mama Cass.
So far, I have not noticed any difference while on the medication, but I guess another bone density test would tell. Anaken, how long did you take the medication? I did not know it was prescribed for other things. Did it help you when you took it?
I am on day 5 of going raw and it really is not much of a transition for me as I had cut out meat many years ago and once I became Celiac, I had to cut out most of the grains as well. The only big thing that I have cut out since going raw is cheese and the occasional bowl of rice. I have read on here about some people really going through detox symptoms and etc., but so far I have not noticed a thing. Maybe it is too soon too tell?
Anyway, I really appreciate all of your feedback!

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: May 30, 2007 03:24AM

1.2 years

since in a sense it sounds like you have been transitioning for a time. the detox might not be as severe as most. alot of it depends on how 'light' you are eating as well. if you are eating dense things like nuts/seeds/avos/cooked foods/steamed foods/stimulants daily and especially throughout the day, detox will be slow-->practically non-existant.

I would just coninue whatever routine you are doing thats keeping you symptom free (as long as its low-->moderate fat <30), then stretching it a bit maybe with some lighter periods of eating. then tapering off the med. After awhile you might notice the med particularly feeling rotten while on a 100% diet (this also happened with the only supplement i was taking). this is the time its probably either safe to quit or to scale back the diet a bit. might be a tough call

A personal suggestion is also to emphasize green juices, particularly darker greens that are heavy on minerals.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2007 03:25AM by anaken.

Date: May 30, 2007 04:14AM

Hi Anaken,
No, I am not eating much of the dense foods, nor am I really having any cooked foods, other than I am still working on cutting out the commercialized almond milk. I want to try making my own raw almond milk. I eat about a tablespoon of avocado a day and a tablespoon of srpouted sunflower or pumpkin seeds. Is that too much fat for one day? I also wanted to ask you about green juices. I see it mentioned here so much, and you mentioned it as well, but I don't have any idea how one makes it. I don't have a juicer yet, but am looking into getting a used one. What greens do I use? And do you just discard the pulp when you make juice? Does one consume a cup a day or how do you know how much to drink? I am glad to see you are not taking the supplement anymore and I don't want to either.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables