Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Is water from brown coconuts safe to drink?
Posted by: rrraw ()
Date: June 01, 2007 06:38PM

The coconut water from the nut with brown hard shell, not the young one.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is water from brown coconuts safe to drink?
Posted by: rrraw ()
Date: June 01, 2007 08:21PM

The reason I'm asking is because I found an article on Wikipedia saying that the water "should" be drunk from young coconuts.

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: June 02, 2007 03:46PM

It's safe unless the coco has gone moldy or bad. Then, yuck. (I did that once)

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: June 02, 2007 11:41PM

aquadecoco-
i did that once and threw up! must have been pretty bad for me.

otherwise, it's delicious and soothing,
so i drink it.

peace-

Posted by: Miss Joan ()
Date: June 03, 2007 12:45AM

Which or what is it to look for when buying a coconut? I LOVE coconut but it is so high in fat or am I wrong? It seems that a lot of people on the posts are drinking coconut milk and using the meat. Someone please enlighten me. THX!!!!

Joan

Posted by: earthangel ()
Date: June 03, 2007 01:03AM

hey there.coconuts are high in fat but not the water or milk in them..well at least the young coconuts aren't..the water in the older or brown ones are higher in fat...but youa re right coconuts are very high in kcals and fat..but good for you as welL! the water is like 46 kcals for a cup.....there is difference between the meat and water though..big diff haha.
good luck hope this helps Joan
love earthangel
xoxoxoxoxoxo

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Date: June 03, 2007 05:36AM

Miss Joan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Which or what is it to look for when buying a
> coconut? I LOVE coconut but it is so high in fat
> or am I wrong? It seems that a lot of people on
> the posts are drinking coconut milk and using the
> meat. Someone please enlighten me. THX!!!!

I don't know so maybe I shouldn't be answering, but here's what I've noticed:
the size of young coconuts can vary quite a bit, but the size doesn't seem to relate to its "age". I've tried buying the heaviest ones, and again, they just seem to vary.
The younger the (young) coconut, the less meat it has - sometimes there's virtually nothing but an amethyst-coloured, gelatinous coating inside the shell, which tastes okay, but mildly acrid to me - and very little water.
Don't be discouraged, because the next one you open could be very different and much tastier.
The older the (young) coconut, the more the meat has built up inside, and it has stored more water. I love them at this point: the water is better tasting than any confection I've eaten, either cooked or not and tastes to me like the best caramel flavour I could imagine. (hence my name, aquadecoco = coconut water) The meat can become so thick, I have to stick a knife inside and make incisions before using a spoon to pry the meat from the shell in pieces.

Date: June 03, 2007 05:48AM

Miss Joan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Which or what is it to look for when buying a
> coconut? I LOVE coconut but it is so high in fat
> or am I wrong? It seems that a lot of people on
> the posts are drinking coconut milk and using the
> meat. Someone please enlighten me. THX!!!!

Here's what I've noticed:

The younger the (young) coconut, the less meat it has - sometimes there's virtually nothing but an amethyst-coloured, gelatinous coating inside the shell, which tastes okay, but mildly acrid to me - and very little water.

Don't be discouraged, because the next one you open could be very different and much tastier.

The older the (young) coconut, the more water and meat has built up inside. I love them at this point: the water is better tasting than any confection I've eaten, either cooked or not and tastes to me like the best caramel flavour I could imagine. (hence my name, aquadecoco = coconut water) The meat can become so thick, I have to stick a knife inside and make incisions before using a spoon to pry the meat from the shell in pieces.
The size and weight of young coconuts can vary quite a bit, but these doesn't seem to relate to its "age".
I'm in awe of them and nature each time I open and eat one. Each one is different and I actually enjoy the variety and surprise a lot.

I don't buy the brown ones anymore, I leave them to more imaginative, hardier people - they're so hard to open! And the ones we can buy here are usually way past their prime.

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: June 03, 2007 09:04AM

The mature ones I get here are soo old.. usually theres little water, and they dont taste great.

So stick to sourcing young ones, the water is sooo yummy smiling smiley

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: June 03, 2007 08:24PM

i buy them, and if they're not good, i tell the produce dept that the coconut was bad, and they give me another.
i get heavy ones with a slight slosh.
i think they're fun.

and i eat fat.
so no dilemma there.

peace-

Posted by: Miss Joan ()
Date: June 04, 2007 08:44PM

Hi! I was at Wild Oats and Whole Foods and didn't know what I was looking for. They both had coconuts in different locations and I couldn't tell what the difference was.

Question. Both markets had a round looking thing with a pointed top. I asked a sales person what it was and she said it was a coconut. Whole Foods had theirs in a cool case on ice chips. Wild Oats had them on a separate display -- not cool or sitting on ice. What are these types of coconuts and does it matter if they're in a cooler or not. Now I'm REALLY confused! LOL THX!

Joan

Date: June 05, 2007 07:07AM

Yes they need to be kept cool. The ones I buy are wrapped in cellophane and refrigerated.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables