Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: What are YOUR superfoods?
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: June 03, 2007 11:50PM

Jgunn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> ive not read anything but g.cousins
>
lol that should read ive not read anything about/from g.cousins lol

darn fingers winking smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: June 03, 2007 11:59PM

i put these here because i think the word superfood gets thrown around loosely in some respects .. hense the idea that something maybe a scam .. true enough if it is a super food for YOU then that is what it is to you .. the media is throwing hte superfood aroundso much the last few years pretty much anything can be a superfood !

i dontthink there is so many degrading individuals as there are folks who are willing to challenge things ..or offer alternate points of view ..

theredtree dont be put off if you dont like a few folks .. everyplace has its ups and downs .. lefts and rights .. yes an no's ... just take what you can from here .. offer what you can .. and enjoy the ride smiling smiley

(and yes i know wikipedia isnt always a good source of info but hey ..lol its there)

Superfood
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Superfood may refer to:

Foods that because of their high phytonutrient content are considered among the healthiest

Phytochemical
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from List of foods high in phytonutrients)
Jump to: navigation, search
Phytochemicals are sometimes referred to as phytonutrients; these terms are often used interchangeably. Phytochemicals are compounds in plant-derived foods that have biological activity in the body. Phytochemicals naturally occur in vegetables and fruit. In broad terms, they can be said to be any chemical or nutrient derived from a plant source. However, in common usage, they have a more limited definition. They are usually used to refer to compounds found in plants that are not required for normal functioning of the body but that nonetheless have a beneficial effect on health or an active role in the amelioration of disease. Thus, they differ from what are traditionally termed nutrients in that they are not a necessity for normal metabolism, and their absence will not result in a deficiency disease -- at least not on the timescale normally attributed to such phenomena. A minority claim that many of the diseases afflicting the people of industrialized nations are the result of those people's lack of phytonutrients in their diet. What is beyond dispute is that phytonutrients have many and various salubrious functions in the body. For example, they may promote the function of the immune system, act directly against bacteria and viruses, reduce inflammation, and be associated with the treatment and/or prevention of cancer, cardiovascular disease and any other malady affecting the health or well-being of an individual

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: June 04, 2007 02:01AM

Some people can be rather antagonisic, but I prefer to see them as catalysts to debate or discussion, not dissention.

I wonder if you could class Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar as a superfood? I just bought their booklet on ACV and it's very interesting. I'm going to try it out myself, 2-3 x a day. So, I'd be having 1-2 teaspoons of ACV with 1 teaspoon raw honey with some distilled water a couple times a day. I took my first serving today, and I'll take another just before bedtime.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: June 04, 2007 02:17AM

thanks for the definition j.

if this thread would have been titled what are your favorite foods, i would have not paused from my algae with a goji juice chaser long enough to bother you. but the word superfoods means something specific. i learned something here through this investigation. maybe someone else did too. saying something is a scam should only offend if you personalize it. i understand it is easy to do that, but i am not degrading or insulting anyone. it is bad to just accept things without question. i don't comment on a large number of posts. i comment when i think something is said is unsubstantiated and could use some explanation, or maybe throw it out, or what have you. being blissfully ignorant should be beneath us.

>Foods that because of their high phytonutrient content are considered among the healthiest

why? is more better? bigger is better too?

>Phytochemicals are compounds in plant-derived foods that have biological activity in the body.

allicin causes "activity". hence people falsely attribute superfood status to those food containing it because of the weak yet commonly accepted germ theory.

>What is beyond dispute is that phytonutrients have many and various salubrious functions in the body. For example, they may promote the function of the immune system

more meddling by humans. the "immune system" does not need to be promoted. it needs to be left alone.

>, act directly against bacteria and viruses

just the bad ones i presume

>, reduce inflammation

what caused the inflammation?
are we removing the cause ?
maybe it needs to be inflamed?

>, and be associated with the treatment and/or prevention of cancer, cardiovascular disease and any other malady affecting the health or well-being of an individual

so called Cures do not remove Cause and are a foolish way of approaching it.

Date: June 04, 2007 03:01AM

hehe well i see a few flaws in the wikepedia explanations of phytochemicals ... i guess mostly it seems to just be heresay so to speak .. this or that MAY do this or that .. etc etc

i agree with that , cure the cause not the condition

btw ..

my superfood would be ...

H2o

lol .. really i think its super ! an so simple smiling smiley (well unless you distill or remineralize it .. or demineralize it lol .. ok ..it was simple hah)

Posted by: cherimoya ()
Date: June 04, 2007 03:06AM

Fresh sweet colorful Fruit and a lot of Durian.

Enjoy,

Cherimoya,

Love Peace and Happiness,

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: June 04, 2007 03:06AM

what about super water?

Date: June 04, 2007 03:13AM

Durian is a SCAM.

the exterior looks like one intersting fruit. then you get it open and the insides are filled with stinky fleshy goo. I don't think it is even vegan.

Date: June 04, 2007 03:24AM

;p lol anaken i forgot about super water haha

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: June 04, 2007 05:11AM

anaken Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>. I don't think it is even vegan.

Hee hee, that's Funny!

Posted by: Miss Joan ()
Date: June 04, 2007 08:32PM

Wheatgrass juice

According to Ann Wigmore in her book The Wheatgrass Book she says, "No other potent food suitable for human consumption is as inexpensive to produce. Spirulina and chlorella, bee pollen and other supplemental health foods may be chemically potent, but compared to fresh wheatgrass juice, they are low in vitality, and much more costly. Vitamin and mineral supplements are also costly, and often unsafe."

Hope this helps!

Joan

Date: June 04, 2007 09:39PM

i know I threw a couple of jokes in there, but I think really the issue is

are we looking to get energy and vitality FROM our FOOD?

I think for some, eating more mineral rich stuff like dulse sprouts or wheatgrass? might fill in some gaps from missing minerals on SAD, allowing for the ability to be saitiated on less food. greens, esp dark leafys (juiced) also function in this way. I don't think any kind of powders or supplements can be better foods then food. The water content issue alone being a big indicator (for me). This rules out commonplace fruits from other countries all dried up being all of a sudden some missing link to health for us folks in the states. Its like us drying strawberries and sending them to timbuktu for their vitamin A deficiencies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2007 09:40PM by anaken.

Date: June 05, 2007 01:13AM

Sorry to be in the dark, but what is E 3 Live?????????????????????

Joan

Date: June 05, 2007 01:20AM

Another "nubie" question. What does IMO stand for?

Joan

Posted by: fuzzysox ()
Date: June 05, 2007 01:40AM

in my opinion ;]

Posted by: fuzzysox ()
Date: June 05, 2007 01:44AM

for me the best superfoods are dark colored greens, blue berries, bell peppers, ascai, flax, kiwis, gojis, and cantaloupe, all those are fairly high in antioxidants, id say all high antioxidant foods are superfoods

Date: June 05, 2007 02:35AM

I
Might be
Omnipotent

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables