Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Calnutriant Ratio(Non 80/10/10)
Posted by: Mocha ()
Date: June 03, 2007 09:10PM

I’m a relatively new raw foodist, approximately 4 months, and I use to be an 80/10/10 follower, but then I realized it just wasn’t working out for my body. I would have to eat enormous amounts of fruit, or just food in general, to take in the sufficient amount of calories needed to sustain my weight (Approx. 5lbs of food at a meal)! It’s not like I’m a bodybuilder by any means, so I just don’t know how some people (such as marathon runners or other athletes) can do it. After reading up on the more, I guess you would call it ‘Generic Raw Foodiest’, I began juicing in the morning (Green Apple, Celery, Kale, Cucumber Juice, and Blend with Pineapple Slice & David Wolfe’s amazing Greens Blend)32oz; having a Salad & Soup or whatever I like for lunch; and a massive salad for dinner. The difference is now I take in a higher ratio of fats, from such things as Oils, Nuts, or Etc (Avocado, Cacao, Seeds), and feel full, without eating enormous amounts of food. - I’m 5’11, 120lbs (I know Skinny, but healthy smiling smiley and am currently taking in about 1150-1250Kal a day about a 60/30/10 – Carb/Fat/Pro Ratio. Now it’s working for me, but I just don’t know if I’m taking in too Much Fat… It would help me immensely if others would share there calnutriant ratio, who are also not 80/10/10, and what they usually eat throughout the Day

> Myspace: [www.myspace.com]
> Blog: [chefdemocha.blogspot.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Calnutriant Ratio(Non 80/10/10)
Posted by: anaken ()
Date: June 04, 2007 02:51AM

I'm glad you are finding something that is working better

during the High-fruit low-fat research trial!!!

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

it was clear you were the undereating champion. I think the 5 lbs per meal is a bit of an overstatement (except if you are talking melons which would be like 10 lbs for me) but yeah I'd say people doing low fat are consuming what most people would call a TON of fruit.

one thing I believe, is that a fruit based diet, can be too cleansing for most folks, and that even if they are eating a ton of kcals, they will be losing or worse...not losing if you catch my drift.

eating denser things will slow this detox, I wouldn't worry too much about the fats. ideally you don't want to be mixing alot of fats but even that isn't much to stress about.

The david wolfe approach as I understand it is exactly what you are talking about. adding mineral dense foods (some stimulants maybe) to satisfy the body without overloading it with matter. not so popular here maybe but I don't think theres anything 'wrong' with it.

from your description of your diet, I think it sounds like a great way to start your day. if fat becomes more of an issue, just replace the salad w/fat for lunch with fruit for lunch, as much as you think is not too much. (might still serve you to up calories a bit) and eventually doing days without fats to increase detox.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2007 02:54AM by anaken.

Posted by: Mocha ()
Date: June 04, 2007 01:58PM

Thank you Anaken for your response! And trust me, 5lbs of fruit is nowhere near an understatement, because I would eat large amounts of citrus and Melon based fruit, for I never really took a liking to any other highly caloric fruit, with the exception of Mangos smiling smiley So I would have to eat and eat and eat some more (on-average taking 2hrs. out of my day for a meal) just to maintain my bodyweight. But now I feel great, I eat much smaller (normal to what a regular person would eat, maybe less) and feel satisfied. I have lowered my sugar intake dramatically to allot room for the increasing fat intake, but now I don’t even have to take my DailyKal intake anymore, for I just eat what I want and Stay the Samesmiling smiley Its absolutely wonderful, and I don’t understand why Dr. Graham outs so much emphasis on low fat foods, where a huge population of the Raw Foods Community eat like this. Also I believe it’s much more diverse, for I went to a Raw Food restraunt for the first time yesterday and had a raw burger, which would not normally be allowed if you were following the 80/10/10 diet I understand. Anyway I just thought you should know and once again thank you for your reply.
-by the way I still take in fruit, just in smaller portions. I treat them more as ingrediant then a full meal.

> Myspace: [www.myspace.com]
> Blog: [chefdemocha.blogspot.com]

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: June 04, 2007 02:05PM

To me, the fat I wouldn't exceed. Maybe get it down to 20%??

The problem I see is you aren't eating enough calories. I'm thin and weigh in about 155 myself at 6'. I need, with my activities, at minimum about 2000 a day, prefer 2600. Recheck your calories with a good calorie requirement calculator I'd suggest.

I think no matter your ratio, you will not gain what you desire. You may feel fuller though yawning smiley)

In my years, the only 2 things that work are -
Eat enough calories
Get ample exercise -
as desired = Lifting wights for more mass, yoga more tone, cardio for overall.

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: June 04, 2007 08:57PM

hmm, I looked back at the trial and I don't see large ammounts of melon or citrus. yes 5lbs of melon is not very much, especially if it only represented 1 or 2 meals. It seems like you were grazing on meals of 1-3 fruits at a time. While this might be a great long term strategy, its certainly a wicked way to clean out comfortably I would assume.

5lb of bananas I'm assuming is about 1800 cals +/- 200. I usually don't take in that much in a single meal, but I might eat 1200-1400 in one meal, then have another large meal of melon, I also do juices similar to yours without the blended additions and suplements. i think its good to have the juice enter right into your system without having to digest in the stomach.

I think with graham the strict emphasis on 10% fat max is for 2 reasons

that people transitioning to raw or comming from high fat raw ofen have blood sugar and fungal issues. and that if they start going hardcore on sweet fruit..or continue trying to mix tons of sweet fruit with large ammounts of fat, especially mixing throughout the day. they will run into problems.

the other reason would be an issue of performance. Even if longer term folks could handle more fat without any kind of symptoms or issues, according to DG, the body converting fat to usueable fuel is 'quite messy' so simple carbs still reign supreme.

The issue against the raw gourmet thing is not only are the foods loaded with fats (they would have to be less fat than a meal of nuts? no?), they are usually food combining nightmares (for the cleaner folk anyway) and are composed often of 'raw' but not particularly *fresh* foods. They also often contain condiments and stimulants which don't appeal to/or cause reactions in some folks because they regularly obstain from these substances.

that said, I do know plenty of raw folk like you describe, enjoying a range of raw foods and health. and IMO forcing a policy (say of low fat) or expect that policy to deliver results is just as unhealthy as anything one could be eating.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables