Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

What's the matter with old fruit?
Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: June 05, 2007 03:38AM

Just why is it that a fruit that is old but not moldy isn't so good nutritionally?

A few days ago I bought an old watermelon. I buy discounted, old fruit from this lady all the time. They're much cheaper than the freshest stuff, usually very nice tasting, and often better tasting than the freshest fruits.

Once bought an old watermelon from her that was great. But this latest one was mushy. Mealy. As I ate it, I wondered what the problem was with old fruit. As long as it's not moldy and going alcoholic, what's really the problem? This was mealy. It didn't taste the best so that's not ideal. But what happens nutritionally to fruit that makes it less than ideal? Do the molecules that make up the various nutrients and other things in foods (anti-oxidants and what not) change so that we cannot use them so effectively? Do things vanish?!

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What's the matter with old fruit?
Posted by: rrraw ()
Date: June 05, 2007 06:55AM

As you may know, sugar is converted to alcohol as a fruit ripens. So that is one thing that vanishes. As far as I know, vitamins are at their peak when the freshness/ripeness is at peak.

It's a funny thing; Fruits seem to age like humans. In the beginning they're firm and delicious and beautiful and in the end they get all sloppy and smelly.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: June 05, 2007 06:09PM

Who says it's a problem? If YOU find the taste and texture acceptable - then I would certainly support you eating it. I personally find the taste and vitality in fresher fruit....especially in season....to be more appealing....but this is just my experience / personal preference.

-I would imagine that when the fruit is starting to go 'over-ripe' that bacteria and other enzymes are already at work to break it down......and you probably don't want those metabolite by-products in your system....if you can help it. Just my opinion.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: June 05, 2007 07:39PM

davidzanemason Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> -I would imagine that when the fruit is starting
> to go 'over-ripe' that bacteria and other enzymes
> are already at work to break it down......and you
> probably don't want those metabolite by-products
> in your system....if you can help it. Just my
> opinion.
This makes sense to me. Thanks Dave.

I don't suppose though that nutrients are depleted. The molecules would have to change form somehow making them less usable / assimilable. I suppose that's possible.

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: June 05, 2007 08:01PM

-Yes. You are correct. If the fruit is 'over-ripe' then enzymes are already at work to break down cell walls and convert the regular fruit sugars to other......uhhh.....less desirable substances! I personally just DON'T want to go there! LOL.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: learningtofly ()
Date: June 05, 2007 10:06PM

I don't think the mealiness of the watermelon necessary had to do with its age. Even a fresh watermelon can be mealy/grainy in my experience. It just means it's not a great watermelon.

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: June 07, 2007 01:00AM

I think when melon is 'mealy' like that it IS fermenting

I bought some new melons pretty recently and cut em open and most of it had turned like that. so I had to run back to the store with soggy opened mellon 10 minutes before it closed.

me and market man brainstormed for a bit and he said 'maybe they froze?'

I think freshness is very much a steep hill then come to a point. you don't want to be on either side of that hill. once its on the other side gravity and time are playing a big factor! haha

usually I find that street markets will be selling perfectly ripe fruit as 'overripe'
but if you are buying actually overripe fruit..this isn't much of a bargin...with anything but ..um ick

Posted by: Miss Joan ()
Date: June 07, 2007 09:23PM

rrraw: I love the comparisonsmiling smileysmiling smileysmiling smileysmiling smiley

Joan

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: June 07, 2007 10:28PM

Sugar is not converted to alcohol as fruit ripens. What converts sugar to alcohol is fermentation, which typically happens after the fruit is past ripe and is over ripe. Perfectly ripe fruit will not be fermented.

In any case, it is possible to get overripe fruit that is not yet fermented. And if a fruit is overripe, it has probably lost a bunch of nutrients and should not be eaten because of the potential fermentation.

Posted by: rrraw ()
Date: June 08, 2007 01:51PM

Miss Joan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> rrraw: I love the comparisonsmiling smileysmiling smileysmiling smileysmiling smiley

smiling smiley

Posted by: rawfrancois ()
Date: June 08, 2007 03:17PM

All I know is that it is SO disgusting when fruit is overripe. I absolutely abhor it. And I've had so many encounters with rotting melons & other fruits that seemed alright from the outside...I never thought of taking them back to the store. Produce is regarded as decorative, not actual food. People are stupid. <3

Date: June 08, 2007 10:29PM

Any fruit I find like that I grow it in the garden....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables