Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Fruit Flies
Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: June 09, 2007 12:56AM

I have so many fruit flies in my kitchen and am swarmed every time I make a green smoothie. They're even filling up my fridge.
I don't like to kill insects, but I swat at them when they try to fly up my nose or land in my food. Who knew they could be so aggressive!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fruit Flies
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: June 09, 2007 04:03AM

hehe theyre b12 ! lol

*ducks* sorry i had too say it tongue sticking out smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: meow ()
Date: June 09, 2007 04:56AM

i have a little flock going on, too. they swarm around my fruit bowl. i like to keep some fruit room temperature and i only have a mini-fridge so it's already full of my veggies, otherwise i'd probably put everything in the fridge. where do they even come from? are the eggs on the fruit, or are they just attracted to the fruit and somehow find their way to it? i don't really mind them but they drive my cats absolutely crazy!

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: June 09, 2007 05:25AM

I hate those freakin things. I leave my bannanas sitting around getting really ripe and that attracts them. So I leave a bowl of apple cider vinegar near my banannas and the suckers drown in it.+

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: June 09, 2007 11:45AM

Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: June 09, 2007 12:11PM

.. they love the bananas.. banitos even more!!

I think the trick is to eat them faster smiling smiley

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: June 11, 2007 02:47PM

Yep..apple cider vinegar does work. I also used it for the first time as an ant detractor..since I moved in to this house in Feb. I've had ants in the kitchen. I tried spray, ant trays, and they still come. So last night after they were found swarming on my fruits, I cleaned them off with acv, then poured some on the counter, and also soaked some bits of paper towel in it and put that where they were coming in from.

This morning I don't have any ants..so I'll see how long this lasts or if they find a new route in. I'm crossing my fingers.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: the enchantress ()
Date: June 11, 2007 03:52PM

Get a Venus flytrap! Seriously...I'm thinking of getting one myself. If you can find 'em at a plant store around you, one might be helpful. Also, make sure the produce you keep outside of the fridge is not cut open or peeled or rotting in any way; the flies wanna get at the insides, and the peel is part of what keeps them out! I always have unopened fruit out on the table, and the only area I find flies in is around the garbage can (where only my fruit and veggie scraps reside).

Date: June 11, 2007 04:55PM

Each successive generation is larger and craftier than the last, so they increase in strength and numbers daily.
I have a large compost bucket in my kitchen which takes a few days to fill. I try to lure them outside by putting the bucket out in the evening: I slowly pick it up and gently put it out the back door and leave the door open hoping they'll want to be where it is. But no, they are on to me and only a few stay with the bucket of scraps - the rest fly onto the cupboards and wait for me to start preparing some fresh produce.
I find little corpses in my fridge, etc. and am always cleaning them up. Argh.

Posted by: cynthia ()
Date: June 11, 2007 05:38PM

aquadecoco,
I had the same problem and I found it was mostly caused by the compost bowl on my sink. Fruit flies usually laid eggs on rotten stuff. I removed the bowl and the issue was resolved!

Date: June 14, 2007 03:13PM

LikeItOrNot Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
So I leave a bowl of apple cider
> vinegar near my banannas and the suckers drown in
> it.+

Okay, I did this last night but this morning, not a single corpse in it!

I just diluted it cuz maybe it's too strong for them.

The kitchen smells like acv but they don't seem to notice it, only the bananas in the cupboard. Here's hoping.................

Date: June 14, 2007 03:21PM

cynthia Wrote:
> aquadecoco,
> I had the same problem and I found it was mostly
> caused by the compost bowl on my sink. Fruit flies
> usually laid eggs on rotten stuff. I removed the
> bowl and the issue was resolved!

Of course you're right about this - I have so many kinds of produce around, either fruits ripeniing or green or fruit scraps in the drain sieve, or the blender soaking with smoothie bits in it, that they have lots of things they're attracted to.

I have to take my compost to a friend's house now since I had to remove my compost pile, so I use two large buckets and they do sit around (sealed) for a few weeks.

I wonder too, where they come from - must be from the produce we bring into the house.

Date: June 14, 2007 03:26PM

back when i was living in my apartment i had to hang those stupid sticky fly strips ... they work pretty good but i had to hang them in the kitchen an i hate having toxic things hanging around hehe

Posted by: alive! ()
Date: June 14, 2007 06:52PM

I read something about using a jar and a funnel. You put a small piece of fruit in the jar, set the funnel in the jar and they fly in but have a hard time finding their way out. You could take them outside to let them go, rather than killing themsmiling smiley

Life Is Good!

alive!

Date: June 14, 2007 07:21PM

I think those fly strips work really well!

Once one fly is stuck, the others think it's a good place to land and they'll follow suit - that's why there's a life-size picture of a fly on the package. (however, I haven't had much luck with fruit flies landing on them)

I always thought they were among the least toxic things around - though definitely not appetizing!

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: June 15, 2007 01:10PM

My fruit doesn't fly, it just sits there until I eat it.

Date: June 15, 2007 01:15PM

yep definitely not appetizing lol smiling smiley

i think yer right about them landing ..it seemed to me that for a couple of days none of them would go near the thing and once they started to land on it though it would get loaded up lol

Date: June 15, 2007 07:23PM

aquadecoco Wrote:
> LikeItOrNot Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> So I leave a bowl of apple cider
> > vinegar near my banannas and the suckers drown
> in
> > it.+
>
> Okay, I did this last night but this morning, not
> a single corpse in it!
>
> I just diluted it cuz maybe it's too strong for
> them.
>
>
> The kitchen smells like acv but they don't seem to
> notice it, only the bananas in the cupboard.
> Here's hoping.................

Did you fill the bowl up? You're only supposed to fill less than half so they can't easily climb out or anything. Some people put foil or a tape a papertowel around it with holes but I don't bother.

I use Bragg's ACV, not sure if that makes a difference. Maybe if you hide the banannas in your fridge and put the vinegar they'll go to that instead.

Date: June 15, 2007 07:25PM

Jgunn Wrote:
> back when i was living in my apartment i had to
> hang those stupid sticky fly strips ... they work
> pretty good but i had to hang them in the kitchen
> an i hate having toxic things hanging around hehe

I found those to work on those other weird tiny flies that fly in random spots in swarms. I don't know what they are.. I see the swarms outside near bushes a lot and last year I had a swarm in front of my fridge and I couldn't figure out what the attraction was so I had to hang one of those strips which worked great.

I was at the end of a 40 day fast when I used it.. I could smell the toxic, gross thing too much.

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: June 15, 2007 08:13PM

Wish there was something to stop them..

I like to leave my banana's out.. how annoying.. mind you saying that, I have a bowl of banana and banitos with 1 apple.. and they dont seem so attracted to that..

maybe its the apple..

who knows!

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: June 24, 2007 10:49PM

The best solution is to keep you compost in a sealed container (like a 5 gallon bucket), and to daily examine your fruits and veggies that are not in the refrigerator to see if the produce is going bad. If you do this, fruit flies die off in a matter of a day or so.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables