Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

New to Raw Foods
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 10, 2007 12:22AM

Hello Everyone!

I have just spent the past two hours reading through all the different forums and I am so inspired! I am 30 yrs old and have been cooked my whole life, well nearly. My fascination with raw food started a few years back and I successfully went 100% raw for over three months and then slowly slipped back into old habits.
Since I turned 30, my health is starting to escape me. I constantly have digestive issues, high stress levels, and right now as I type I am suffering from yet another sinus infection... I am a thin woman and have always been in good physical shape. After having my daughter 17 months ago, I have become "too busy" to work out and I find myself getting winded after climbing a flight of stairs. I feel like I need 10 hours of sleep a night and I never quite feel rested or refreshed.

That brings me here.... Since learning about the raw food lifestyle years ago I have always felt that it was the right decision for me. I just need a little support to get myself started but I know that once I start to feel better, I will make the decision to stick with it. It is just difficult for me because my fiance is overweight and would have steak and potatoes at every meal! It has been a constant struggle to become healthy as a family so I am just going to have to go it alone and hope that I continue to be inspired reading about all of your awesome successes!

Does anyone have any advice or inspirational stories about the way that raw food has changed your life?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2007 12:27AM by wannaBraw.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New to Raw Foods
Posted by: life101 ()
Date: June 10, 2007 01:58AM

Hello WBR, My health was deteriorating when I found about raw. It has taken me about 2.5 years to be vegan. I'm not totally 100% raw due to budgetary constraints.

Since becoming raw, my feet shrank a 1/2 size smaller and became narrower, I grew 1/4 inch(!) and I'm older than you, my cups size has increase twice, my hip has re-located, I released 6 growths that I didn't know I had, my blood pressure came down from 110/80 something to 90/60, and finally, my brown eyes are turning blue. I am also more aware of odors. I cannot stand the stench of meat eaters' sweat or their breath. I would like to say it has been a cure all but some things take longer to cure than others. The emotional, psychological, spiritual, and physical detoxes are what is required to truly remain raw. I still have not gotten rid of Candida. It is in progress but is not easy to eliminate. I still get pimples once in awhile, etc.

Being the only one raw in a relationship is going to be difficult. It's like a non-smoker being in a relationship with a smoker. I wish you strength and health. Hopefully, your fiance will see the benefits that you receive from the change and make adjustments himself.

Good luck.
Therese

Date: June 10, 2007 02:04AM

Thanks Therese!

Those are some unexpected benefits... feet shrinking and height growth! I am 5'11 so I don't need any inches yawning smiley)
I am so amazed by the health benefits and in theory it all makes such perfect sense to me. I actually welcome detox symptoms as I know that it means I am becoming healthier! I know it will be difficult living in a cooked household but I am very determined when I decide to do something. At the least, my fiance will see the benefits and join me... however, right now he thinks I am nuts yawning smiley)

Posted by: pihourova ()
Date: June 10, 2007 08:56AM

hi jessica. i am new here as well. i started about 4 weeks ago with great success. i am 29 years old and i have always been thin as well. the problem was that i did not feel good at all, mentally or physically. i was drinking at least a bottle of wine every night and i have been on prescription sedatives for the past 3 years.

i found this forum and decided to give raw vegan a try. everyone was so inspiring.i have been clean of alcohol, pills and cooked ever since. it was so difficult the first week. all the classic detox symptoms. along with extreme emotional distress. i felt as though i was looking into a mirror for the first time and i did not like what i saw. by the 3rd week all my chemical cravings were gone.

i feel amazing compared to where i was before. however, i know i could be alot better, thus the fast challenge. i am hoping that fasting will be one more big step towards healing.

i know how u feel about your fiance. my husband is very supportive of me, but he is not raw or a vegetarian even. luckily, i do all the cooking so he eats what i cook!! he is not overweight and he is in great shape but its hard to kiss him sometimes. he is away on business alot and he eats whatever he wants then and sometimes i can taste something really gross when we kiss. but we are hopelessly in love and he is my number one fan in everything i do. so i just keep mouth wash on hand. lol!! he really seems to like the dinners i make him. he has even switched his regular eggs and toast breakfast for fruit. however i did decide to begin the fast on monday due to the fact he will be away on business. i will be able to stick to it better without having to watch him eat.

best of luck to you and i am happy you are here.

camille

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2007 09:04AM by pihourova.

Posted by: pihourova ()
Date: June 10, 2007 09:06AM

therese you are so inspiring. thank you so much for sharing your experiences.

Date: June 10, 2007 10:48PM

Thanks Pihourova!

That is funny because I too am a big wine drinker and knowing that I was starting raw today, I finished off the rest of an open bottle last night! Ever since my daughter was born I have had a glass (big glass) of wine every night after dinner to unwind and relax. I now plan to replace that with a pilates class yawning smiley)

Looking forward to getting cleaned out.....I'll be sure to post when we start the fast tomorrow.

Posted by: oneSource ()
Date: June 11, 2007 02:34AM

Like a lot of people [here] finding out about raw food was a big wake up call for me as well. When I was 16 I had my gallbladder removed and a year later I was 'diagnosed' with ulcerative colitis and told I would be on meds the rest of my life.
Now, 8 years later I am clean of all drugs and healed. I left behind allopathic medicine and started listening to my body. It was a slow process, but necessary - I went vegetarian about 4 years ago, vegan one year ago and on and off raw for the past year. I am now stabilizing at 80% or more raw everyday and feel great.
I believe the diagnosis was really just that my flora knocked way out of wack by antibiotics (I got salmonella) and then the meds they had me on had a low dose of antibiotics in them and corticosteroids as well. It was hell and I had no idea! My acupunturist was right that I had to get off that stuff. It was scary, but I did. and now I trust my body instead of hating it.
So that's a bit of my story --
Some advice WBR - if you get chemical cravings/feel cranky - drink a green juice. Get a juicer if you don't have one!! Green juices are the most balancing, clarifying, relaxing thing. depending on how sensitive your body is, you will literally feel a physical release, relaxation when you have a good green juice (lots of celery!).
Best of luck. It might help to start a raw diary on here if you want. People there are very supportive!
peace,
oneSource

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables