Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Hemp protein powder
Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: June 13, 2007 12:21PM

I have started having protein powder (both hemp & pea), and I find it very grounding...

Does anyone else take protein powder regularly and how have you found it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hemp protein powder
Posted by: the enchantress ()
Date: June 13, 2007 02:12PM

I LOVE this stuff!!! So many people say that "the protein in fresh, raw fruits and vegetables is all I need," but I personally find that's not enough. On an ideal day, I'll get about six scoops of hemp protein in, in the form of a green smoothie. I feel much more clear and grounded when I take it. It's even better in combo with flax!

Posted by: elover6 ()
Date: June 13, 2007 03:55PM

Can you guys tell where and what brands thanks

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: June 14, 2007 03:51PM

There was someone named Swimmer here who took/takes a raw hemp/green protein powder. I can't recall what the name was. You might try a search on the web for it.
Oh, I remember it was expensive, like $50.00 or more.

Love,
Prism

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2007 03:54PM by Prism.

Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: June 14, 2007 04:25PM

Nutiva is one of the major brands...can but it everywher virtually.

Posted by: meow ()
Date: June 14, 2007 09:51PM

what does it taste like? i've been meaning to try this but i don't want to waste money on it if i'm not going to eat it b/c it tastes bad! also, do you usually put it in smoothies, or what?

Posted by: the enchantress ()
Date: June 14, 2007 11:48PM

The brand I like best is called Mum's; I find it's the least grainy. Mum's also makes hemp/greens and a hemp/flax/something else types too. Other brands are Manitoba Harvest (makes chocolate and vanilla spice flavours too) and Living Harvest, along with some other flavoured brands. Plain, it tastes like the hemp seed itself, and if you haven't had that, the seed is like a nut, but just a little sweet...I'm not quite sure how to describe it. I've seen the Manitoba Harvest in single-serving packs though, so you could get one of those just to try it. As for what to do with it, I usually put it in smoothies, but I've seen recipes for power bar-type things that call for it. It goes with almost anything, really.

Posted by: bronwynsun ()
Date: June 15, 2007 02:50AM

there's a vegan triathlete called Brendan Brazier who developed a hemp/pea protein/whole food powder called Vega. I met him here in Montreal a couple weeks ago, he is an elite athlete, fully vegan and around 70% raw foods. I am reading his book 'the thrive diet' right now and it's great to explain all of this stuff! I haven't tried his product yet but am planning on it once I finish my 'raw power'!

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: June 15, 2007 10:27AM

the enchantress Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I LOVE this stuff!!! So many people say that "the
> protein in fresh, raw fruits and vegetables is all
> I need," but I personally find that's not enough.
> On an ideal day, I'll get about six scoops of hemp
> protein in, in the form of a green smoothie. I
> feel much more clear and grounded when I take it.
> It's even better in combo with flax!

Agreed. Same here. I feel I need the protein boost. I blend it with bannana/fruit smoothies. Tastes fine, not gross like some other powdered drinks.

Look around health food stores, they sell trial packets of it.
Website is: www.nutiva.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2007 10:28AM by LikeItOrNot.

Posted by: anna_elle ()
Date: June 15, 2007 02:07PM

I ate Brendan Brazier's fruit flavoured Vega for about two years. I think it tastes great. It does seem to have a lot of processed ingredients and I finally had to quit because although it boasts being soy free, it contains a derivative of soy to which I continued experiencing allergic reactions. I called their customer service number to verify my suspicions (because I loved the stuff so much and I didn't want to stop taking it)and they begrudgingly admitted that one of their ingredients did originate from soy.

Of course when I stopped ingesting the Vega the last vestiges of my symptoms vanished. It had been about six months since I've re read the label-maybe the recipe has changed.

I like to add hemp and flax to my smoothies too. We're buying Living Harvest Hemp and I grind my own flax. We alternate between Mum's, Living Harvest and Manitoba Harvest depending which one has the best price at the time.

I understand if I buy ground hemp seed it includes the husk, otherwise there are regulations whereby hemp seed must be hulled. Does anyone know anything more about this?

Anna

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: June 16, 2007 09:46AM

Manitoba Harvest on their website has soime info. Not sure if it is all your looking for though. [www.manitobaharvest.com]

Posted by: bronwynsun ()
Date: June 16, 2007 09:44PM

that's interesting anne-elle....so awesome to actually know what you react to. i love that about raw foods: i am so sensitive, so i know specific things that set me off.

i'm not sure if it's changed or not, i will look into it. i know it's about 35% raw, which is different from the other protein powders! anyways, good info...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables