Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Celery and toxicity
Posted by: frutarian_nav ()
Date: June 18, 2007 07:15PM

Hi,
Are the leaves that are attached to celery stalks toxic?
People tell me that I need to remove the leaves and eat the stalks only.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Celery and toxicity
Posted by: silverundertone ()
Date: June 18, 2007 08:37PM

i only buy celery when i can see that no one has removed the leaves prior to putting it on the shelf. the leaves are the best part (and in my opinion..the only good part..celery bores me)

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: June 18, 2007 08:40PM

I also thought you don't want to eat the leaves as they are toxic. I suppose it depends on how much you eat...and maybe if you pick it fresh there's lots of leaves compared to the store celery.

I didn't know celery seed is not from celery..just found that out a year or 2 ago. It's a plant that has nothing to do with celery.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: June 18, 2007 11:53PM

According to my bible, celery leaves are edible raw: [www.pfaf.org]

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Date: June 19, 2007 12:27AM

Where did the myth that celery leaves are toxic?

Love,
Prism

Date: June 19, 2007 12:43AM

Prism Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Where did the myth that celery leaves are toxic?

I've heard it before. There is probably some truth to it - many plants have some toxic components but are not a problem in reasonable amounts but if you eat in excess it might cause problems.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw

Posted by: Miss Joan ()
Date: June 19, 2007 12:54AM

I always eat the leafy part of celery. I remember in SAD it was recommended to include the leafy part in soups. I just love eating the whole stalk!

Joan

Posted by: tamu ()
Date: June 20, 2007 12:46PM

I don't like celery leaves all that much to eat as they are, but put them in juices cuz it seems wasteful not to

Rob: thanks for the link to your 'bible'.....have now added it to my faves smiling smiley

Cheers
Shell x

~~~~~
[www.therawkitchen.blogspot.com]

Posted by: jan ()
Date: June 20, 2007 01:26PM

Hi Prism,

When I googled celery seeds this is the info that came up
The Basics

Celery seed comes from the same plant as celery (celery stalk). The tiny seeds are tan/brown in color. Celery contains boron, calcium, iron, zinc, and the following vitamins: A, B-complex, and C.

These seeds are used to treat high blood pressure (hypotensive properties), nervousness and anxiety (limonene renders mild tranquilizing effects), muscle spasms (relaxes), and appetite (improves). Other chemicals in the seeds act as a diuretic, liver tonic (antioxidant properties), anti-inflammatory, and pain reliever. Celery seed may help prevent cancer (not substantiated).

Sources

Celery seed is available in the following forms: fresh or dried seeds, tablets, encapsulated oil or extract. To make tea, pour boiling water over crushed seeds.

Where did you hear that the clery seed is not from the plant.. Just interested??

Thanks

Date: June 20, 2007 02:12PM

Also acording to Wikipedia, celery seeds come from celery plant: [en.wikipedia.org]

It's sort of the definition isn't it - if you buy some celery seeds, you would expect them to grow into a celery plant!

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw

Posted by: jan ()
Date: June 20, 2007 02:52PM

I agree with you Funky Rob It's just we live in a world that isn't what it seems to be LOL

Date: June 20, 2007 02:58PM

Yeah..where did I read that at? Maybe it was for some other plant? I just did my own search and it says celery seed is from the vegetabel plant celery, but it is harvested in it's second year of growth.

Some interesting facts about celery I found at Wikipedia:

Celery contains androsterone, a hormone released through sweat glands said to attract women.

There is a common belief that celery is so difficult for humans to digest, that it has 'negative calories' because human digestion burns more calories than can be extracted. Snopes[2] believes this to be true, however at only 6kcal per rib, the effect is negligible. Celery is still valuable in diets, where it provides low-calorie fiber bulk.

Dr. Brown's makes a celery-flavoured soft drink called Cel-Ray, which is sold mostly in the New York City region.

Some pet rabbits eat a lot of celery. One may wonder if this means rabbits lose a lot of weight. However, a rabbit's natural flora of bacteria in their appendix includes micro-organisms which break down the cellulose in the celery into a form which the rabbit can absorb.

Exercise-induced anaphylaxis can be exacerbated by eating celery.

In the British science fiction series Doctor Who, the Fifth Doctor's costume included a piece of celery on the lapel. The reason for this was that he was allergic to certain gases in praxis range of the spectrum and in the presence of these gases, the celery turned purple. In this case, he ate the celery (for if nothing else he was sure it was good for his teeth).

The closely related Apium bermejoi from the island of Minorca is one of the rarest plants in Europe with only 60 individuals left.

The edible celery stalk is not a plant stem as often claimed. It is a petiole, which is part of a leaf.

Some people report that eating raw celery makes their tongues and mouths numb.

Ancient Greeks once believed that the person who does not like celery also does not enjoy living.

In the Honor Harrington book series, the extraterrestrial sentient life forms known as treecats are absolutely addicted to celery.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: June 20, 2007 11:58PM

haha Cel-Ray

i'll have to look for that pour out the gunk and grown cel-ray seeds in it.

most things that taste bitter will be slightly toxic. I don't ascribe any much magic to them..but probabably less toxic then breathing or swimming. heh sad smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables