Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Skin Oils and Oil Pulling
Posted by: jadedshade ()
Date: June 19, 2007 12:31PM

The topic of oil pulling is very interesting indeed I know there has been talk of this before on here but I wanted to share my initial experiences with it.

I have tried it but not with oils recomended (which are cold pressed sunflower or sesame).
I used flaxseed oil, some sources say that this oil is not as good at getting rid of toxins etc, could be true.

The first time I did it I spat out a big solid white chunk of something, it looked like a bit of tooth or something, which is strange because I have never broken a tooth so who knows where it came from but I am glad it's gone. Where had it been hiding all this time?

It also left my teeth whiter looking and mouth feeling really good.

They say that you should spit all the oil out when it truns white (after about 20 - 30 minutes of swishing it around). The flaxseed oil just goes yellow.

This is interesting that certain oils that are good at purging toxins from the body turn white because if you have ever had acne and oily skin (which I still do sometimes) the oil that blocks the pores is white rather than the transparency it is supposed to have, so perhaps sunflower and sesame oils are more similar to our natural oil so work well in oil pulling.

Anyone else had any experience with using different oils or purging large lumps of stuff afterwards?

I think I will get some sunflower oil and see what happens.

Phil.

--------------------------------------------------

"Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it" (Chinese Proverb)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2007 12:36PM by jadedshade.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Skin Oils and Oil Pulling
Posted by: rawfrancois ()
Date: June 20, 2007 05:44PM

I looked this up, it sounds really interesting, I'm hoping to hear your results.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: June 20, 2007 05:52PM

yea im curious about it too .. i vaguely remember reading about it somewhere some time ago ... but cant find the link to it in the deep dark dungeons of my faves links lol

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2007 06:04PM by Jgunn.

Date: June 21, 2007 06:28AM

Yeah, it is an interesting concept. Our own skin oil is used to purge toxins through the skin. So a large concentration of a similar oil should work on a larger scale.

Phil.

"Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it" (Chinese Proverb)

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: June 21, 2007 03:51PM

Jadedshade,

Thank you for posting this. I read your message last night and went out and bought some sesame oil, did the oil pulling this AM for 20 minutes and my body feels noticably more relaxed and some hip & leg pain I've had lately is gone. Pretty darn good for one day, eh? I'm gonna continue this and will let you know the results.

BTW, I must be dehydrated because the oil never turned white, it was still yellow when I spit it out. It lost the oilyness, though.

Posted by: Melanie ()
Date: June 21, 2007 06:52PM

I've been oil pulling for a couple weeks, although I've skipped a few days. The only result I've experienced is that the oil pulls of chunks of mucus from my lungs. That's a good thing. I wish I were experiencing more results though.

Date: June 21, 2007 07:21PM

Greenie,
I am glad it helped you, definitely let us know how it goes!

Melanie,
Have you not noticed whiter and cleaner feeling teeth doing this? Just curious.

Like I said before I am going to get some sunflower or sesame oil this weekend and see how I do with that and I will let you guys know!

Phil.

Posted by: Melanie ()
Date: June 22, 2007 01:54AM

I haven't personally noticed whiter teeth, but my husband commented today about how white my teeth are, and he doesn't know anything about oil pulling, so I know he wasn't just saying that to please me. A few days ago, someone else commented about my white teeth, too. So maybe it's helping my teeth, and I haven't noticed.

Date: June 22, 2007 05:07AM

Phil,

I just checked the bottle of oil I bought and it is unrefined sesame oil. You're supposed to use refined. And I know from my days with Ayurveda that they cure the oil before using it. I'm traveling now but when I get home I'll cure some oil and start using that.

Maybe that's why the oil didn't turn white.

In any case, it may be a while before I check in again but I'll definitely let you know the results of this.

Date: June 22, 2007 08:24AM

The sources that I have read from that you sound use Cold Pressed Oil and if you cannot find it then use Refined Oil.

[www.oilpulling.com]

Phil.

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: June 22, 2007 11:12AM

Anyone know the pH of oil? I wonder if the oil turns the teeth white by dissolving the surface. Do teeth feel "softer" or slightly "sticky" after oil pulling?

Date: June 22, 2007 01:40PM

VeganLife,

No, the teeth feel firmer and cleaner. I'm swishing the oil right now for the second day and I'm also feeling my mind clear as I do it.

Date: June 22, 2007 03:32PM

VeganLife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anyone know the pH of oil? I wonder if the oil
> turns the teeth white by dissolving the surface.
> Do teeth feel "softer" or slightly "sticky" after
> oil pulling?

I think it varies from oil to oil and how it was been extracted. Olive oil is high Alkaline, makes sense with it being a fruit oil. I think seed oils are less alkaline, possibly slightly acidic.
It would be interesting to see a table of the Ph Levels between cold pressed and refined.

Phil.

Date: June 22, 2007 03:34PM

greenie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> VeganLife,
>
> No, the teeth feel firmer and cleaner. I'm
> swishing the oil right now for the second day and
> I'm also feeling my mind clear as I do it.

Greenie,
That is something I have noticed from this too.

Phil.

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: June 22, 2007 04:49PM

how about coconut oil? I was thinking of having some of that from time to time anyway. I have no use for oils generally. and wouldn't want to buy a whole bottle just to swish around as an experiemnt.

Date: June 23, 2007 01:56AM

Ayurveda likes sesame oil best because it is best for removing vata dosha. Vata is the tendency for movement, and it is vata dosha that moves the toxins into the rest of the body. So usually it is responsible for a lot ailments. I'm condensing a lot of ayurveda into a few sentences and probably missing a lot. But anyhow, sesame is king in AV for that reason.

Coconut oil is good for some conditions, seasons, and constitutions. It's cooling so it's good for summer; and also for those who have a hot (Pitta) constitution. It's a good massage oil in the summer. But I think sesame is likely best for oil pulling.

They cure it by bringing it to a boil on the stove top. It boils pretty quickly. It won't bubble, you'll just see little striations moving in it and then take it off the heat. You need to watch it, and be careful, because it can explode on you if it's too hot. Once it's cured you can store it for a long time and don't need to cure it again. Once cured, a lot of the sticky viscousity is gone and it penetrates the skin more deeply. I suggest using an enamel or glass pot for this purpose.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables