Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

An apple cider vinegar thread
Posted by: Melanie ()
Date: June 26, 2007 03:50AM

I've never used apple cider vinegar much, but lately I'm becoming more excited about it. It seems like it has so many uses. I recently soaked peppermint leaves in a couple tablespoons of ACV for a week. Then I added a cup of water. Now I'm using it as a facial toner. I've been pouring a couple cups of it in my bath water, too. Someone told me you can soak cucumbers in it to make pickles.
I'd like to hear how everyone else uses ACV. Recipes, home remedies, personal care, whatever.
Hope to hear from you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: An apple cider vinegar thread
Posted by: Prism ()
Date: June 26, 2007 06:08AM

I've been taking braggs raw organic unfiltered apple cider vinegar for 21 days now and it's been like a miracle pain reliever for my sciatica. It's great for my digestion, and I'm fitting comfortably into pants that were too small for me before I started the acv. I've not done anything on purpose that is different except for taking the acv, but it works like an apetite suppressant for me and I eat less during the day, and I've been eating a higher % of raw most days.

I also soak in a hot tub with 1-2 C of apple cider vinegar, and tonight I tried adding some seaweed to the bath too.

My mother loved to cut up cucumbers and put them into a bowl of vinegar and let them marinate and then we'd eat them..it's a great chilled dish for the summer.

I take 1 T of acv in 1 C of distiled water, 3 x a day. Today I actually took it 4 times. I've read the bragg booklet on acv and all it's applications..which is too many for me to list.

It's supposed to clear uric acid crystals from your body, and help in getting rid of calcium deposits in joints. It also helps relieve stressed muscles because it helps to rid the body of lactic acid build up. It seems to be working wonders for me.

Of course it's good for @#$%&, and for adding to enemas. It's great to get rid of ants and it kills weeds. I've used it to get rid of ants in the kitchen and it's the only thing that worked.

I love it, and I don't plan to ever stop using it..it works too well.

Oh, and for a baby that has classic colic, it works better than anything else. I know for a fact because it worked for one of the babies I care for.

Thanks Melanie for starting this thread on acv!

Love,
Prism

Posted by: anuiyer7 ()
Date: June 26, 2007 07:14PM

So, how many Tablespoons should we take per day? I want to try this, and also wanted to know if there are digestive benefits from acv? I don't know much about it, but can some one help me understand what exactly it does for the body?

Thanks much.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: June 26, 2007 07:38PM

anuiyer7 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So, how many Tablespoons should we take per day?

zero

> I
> want to try this, and also wanted to know if there
> are digestive benefits from acv?

no

I don't know much
> about it, but can some one help me understand what
> exactly it does for the body?

irritates it.

[thehealthblog.com]

Date: June 26, 2007 08:51PM

Hi Prism,

Thanks for your reply!! I have a friend whose sciatica is bothering her. How long did it take before you got relief? Also, how long did your mother soak the cucumbers in the ACV?

Melanie

Date: June 26, 2007 09:33PM

For more info vist bragg.com

I take 1 T in 1 C of distilled water and I take this 3x a day. It only took a few days to feel relief from the pain. I couldn't believe it was that easy..not after 16 years of pain that progessively got worse. I tried a lot of different things for it, but the acv is what works in actually curing it.

I may cut back on the acv sometime..but I'm never giving it up. Bragg says to take 1-2 teaspoons in water or juice and drink that 1-3 x a day, everyday.

It does so much you really should see about getting a book on acv by either Bragg or Dr. Mindell.

You only need to place the slices of cucumbers in the acv for about 1/2 hour.

As for what Fresh says about acv in above post..(I've never said this to anyone here before) phooey..you don't know what you are talking about, you don't know what it's like to find a natural (and raw at that) cure..yes 'cure' for chronic pain.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: June 26, 2007 10:01PM

hair rinse.
with a touch of rose oil

peace-

peace-

Date: June 27, 2007 01:20AM

Great info. Thanks. Now I've ordered the Bragg's ACV book, too!

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: June 27, 2007 02:10AM

fresh, if there were no miracle products,

wouldn't we be deficient in miracles?

where do you get your miracles?

Date: June 27, 2007 03:26AM

anaken Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> fresh, if there were no miracle products,
> wouldn't we be deficient in miracles?
> where do you get your miracles?

if you look at the word miracles for a long time, doesn't it start to look like gobbledeygook? i love when that happens.

now stop interrupting my acupuncture session with these silly comments, anaken.

>As for what Fresh says about acv in above post..(I've never said this to anyone here before) phooey..you don't know what you are talking about, you don't know what it's like to find a natural (and raw at that) cure..yes 'cure' for chronic pain.

thanks Prism!
phooey to you too!

Luke, don't run out of ACV !!!
if you do, you may come over to the DARK SIDE.

now back to our regularly scheduled program.
and stop hijacking my anti-ACV thread, you're distressing me!

Posted by: Miss Joan ()
Date: June 27, 2007 04:12AM

Anuiyer7, I , too, am new to ACV. I went onto the Bragg's website (www.bragg.com) and they offer a special for $12.95 for a bottle of ACV and the book on ACV plus tons of literature and samples of their other products. The shipping was very slow but I really wanted the book which is about $10 by itself. It was a great deal. I'm anxious to learn about all the benefits of ACV!

Joan

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 27, 2007 04:17AM

Why not just eat the apple, the real thing? Nothing bottled can equal the real thing

Date: June 27, 2007 04:30AM

I'm going to disagree with djatchi with 'nothing bottled can equal the real thing'.

You'd think that wouldn't you..I would have also due to what I've learned about raw foods and what eating raw has done for me. But, I really believe that the fermentation process (we could make our own acv) does something/adds something more to the apples. There's something about the darn stuff that works so well..that really I'm at a loss to be able to convey how much it's benefited me.

There's something about the feremtation process, foods like kimchi, sauerkraut and other things that I'm beginning to believe may have some real health benefits to eating them. I'll stick with my acv though. I don't know much about other fermented foods, but it's starting to peak my interest.

Which reminds me, I was talking to a Korean lady yesterday who was telling me how to make kimchi, and she says it has to have salt, otherwise it comes out mushy. She said it needs just the right amount of salt, not too much, not too little. Just the right amount makes the cabbage crisp and firm. Does fermented foods have to have salt for the process? El Natual could answer this question.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: June 27, 2007 05:16AM

the healthblog is just one persons opinion .. try as i might i couldnt find any adverse side effects websites about apple cider vinegar

i googled several different ways ... adverse side effects ACV, adverse side effects apple cider vinegar, toximia and acv and applecider vinegar, toxic effects of ... , bad side effects, apple cider vinegar poisioning, negative effects of ..

and then many different combos of the above and i couldnt come up with anything that substantiates that ACV is bad for you in any way

thehealthblog states that their healing from the use of ACV but doesnt state what exactly negative side effects their healing from which makes it kinda ambiquous?

if anyone can find some scientific site that shows that i would be interested to see the *other* side as i couldnt find anything on it, and im usually pretty good at finding both sides of any argument

i dont take vinegar , ACV or any other on a regular basis for any reason other then an occaisional salad dressing

so im just curious

hippocrates himself advocated the use of vinegar (i dont know if it was ACV or not) and honey as a healing tonic

i cant say its of miracle status or not . i know were all built differnt and face different challenges, environmentally, emotionally, physically etc ..

if ACV is doing wonders for you then its a great thing smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: June 27, 2007 05:36AM

ACV or honey will do wonders from somebody coming from SAD, when we are trying to improve on a situation that was already bad but when we have been raw for a year or more, these remedies have no advantage over the real thing.

Date: June 27, 2007 06:11AM

sure maybe as a transitional thing ACV is a good thing .. for *some* people smiling smiley

i couldnt find anything either on plain ol' apples releiveing sciatica or breaking down uric acid .. or anything really scientific ..

the old adage .. an apple a day keeps the doctor away lol .. well sure i beleive it theres a whole lotta good in a plain ol' apple

but im still not gonna line up and POOH POOH on someones parade if they feel its their *miracle* smiling smiley if its working for them great .. maybe someday i'll give it a whirl if the reasoning comes up to do so .. or not lol

Posted by: pihourova ()
Date: June 27, 2007 10:31AM

when something is working for someone and making them feel better why does someone else always have to try and make them feel bad about it? i mean, if its working for them and someone else who is having the same problem wants to try it, leave them alone. let them try it. it might work for them. it might not. but leave them be.

i can understand giving another side to an issue or offering another opinion but dont be nasty about it. please. its so primative and small to be that way.

it worked great for my father. it has been a stepping stone for him. he is eatting healthier, lost weight, and he is moving more. maybe it was not because of the acv. but he thinks it is! so i just leave him be. its done him good regardless.

and i know, not from personal experience but from an eye witness stand point, its great for passing a drug test if you have been smoking weed. if it can remove traces of thc from urine then it must have some sort of "miracle" effect.

Date: June 27, 2007 11:02AM

Humans always need to know WHY. If it works, WHY does it work?

Date: June 27, 2007 11:26AM

i would like to know this as well.

Posted by: khale ()
Date: June 27, 2007 12:08PM

Pihourova wrote:

"when something is working for someone and making them feel better why does someone else always have to try and make them feel bad about it?"

Good question.

An important thing to understand is that what works at one point of a persons' transition (Point A) to a healthier way of eating and living, will not necessarily work at another point.(Point cool smiley

Problems arise when people at Point B negate the experiences of Point A. Bryan stated on one of these threads (just as an example) that fermented foods made his belly feel better (such as kombucha) when he first started transitioning to an all raw diet. Now Bryan doesn't personally want anything to do w/kombucha or any other fermented foods. He doesn't need it anymore. This is how it works folks. Ann Wigmore stated in one of her books (and I paraphrase) that a raw vegan diet, or a healing diet needs to constantly change. The effectiveness of natural remedies or certain foods does not stay constant. What works for you today will not necessarily work tomorrow.

I personally don't take anything everyday anymore. I keep acv on hand; I keep B12 on hand; I have some green "superfood" powder on hand and etc. and I'll use these things on occasion as I feel led (not very scientific, I know). In this way I avoid any possibility of any adverse reactions (as its been shown that too frequent consumption of ANYTHING increases the risk of allergies and rejection by the body and this means "good" for you stuff, not just bad.) I've heard David Wolfe in one of his on-line videos state much the same thing.

When I first started out this time around trying to clean up my act I used certain things that made me feel incredible. I don't use any of these things anymore. The effects began to lessen; my body didn't need it or want it anymore and i moved on. It's just that simple.

khale

Date: June 27, 2007 12:34PM

>when something is working for someone and making them feel better why does someone else always have to try and make them feel bad about it? i mean, if its working for them and someone else who is having the same problem wants to try it, leave them alone. let them try it. it might work for them. it might not. but leave them be.
>i can understand giving another side to an issue or offering another opinion but dont be nasty about it. please. its so primative and small to be that way.

if you will reread my brief response,
you will see that i was not pooh poohing anything, whatever that means.
i gave my side of the issue.

i can not make anyone feel bad about anything.

we are responsible for ourselves.

there is nothing mean, nasty, primitive, small about what i said, how i said it, where it said it, or that i said it at all.

if i were to tell you that, well, i used to have headaches, but a box of oreo double stuffed cookies always made it better and i think you should try it, what would be the response? it makes no difference whether you think acv is raw or not, raw does not mean good. X seems to cause Y does not mean that X is good to do , or X is the best thing to do, or X should not be questioned by anyone.

i was giving my response to a question on a public board. i have two alternatives. respond or not respond. so do you. sometimes i choose to respond. sometimes those who are doing something that they think is good will learn something new, or question what they are doing, or not.

Date: June 27, 2007 02:04PM

Great discussion, I really am enjoying it.

I think that for people that are new to raw foods, coming from SAD and for those that can't seem to stick on high raw, or those that have digestion problems and or health issues would benefit from taking the acv.

The claim I'm making for acv, is what it's done for me. Maybe someday I might be 100% raw, and in great shape and health and not need the acv, but I"m 55 years old and only found raw foods when I was 50 and so have many years of SAD (Standard American Diet). I might always use it too.

Hmmmm..a question for 100% raw fooders, you wouldn't use acv (organic raw unfilered apple cider vinegar) in a salad? What if you made it yourself?

Love,
Prism

Date: June 27, 2007 02:28PM

ok. i see now. great points khale and fresh.

Date: June 27, 2007 03:09PM

lol im guilty as charged i always want to know the good AND the bad winking smiley

kinda like the question why did the chicken cross the road? well im not satisfied that it was just to get to the other side lol

i like albert einsteins answer i guess .. [www.rawfoodsupport.com]

ALBERT EINSTEIN:
Did the chicken really cross the road, or did the road move
beneath the chicken?

Date: June 27, 2007 06:46PM

My father swares by acv, he takes a tablespoon of it every morning.
I know a lady who sat by me on the bus many many years ago and she told me that she wouldn't be living to 85 years old if it wasn't for acv. I tried it, the taste almost made me vomit and just smelling it makes me stay away.

I've also read in "Fit For Life" that you should never have vinegar with your salad, instead use lemon. She mentioned that it effects the digestive system, which is opposite of what Prism says.

Posted by: m ()
Date: June 27, 2007 07:23PM

i mix it with rose water and wash my face with it everyday. i follow up with fresh aloe (from the plant) for "moisterizer".

my skin is smoother, more even-toned (i had rosacea and acne before), and my skin NEVER gets overly dried or overly oily anymore (compared to when i used "face-wash"winking smiley.

love,
m.

Posted by: khale ()
Date: June 27, 2007 07:36PM

deegarry wrote:

"I've also read in "Fit For Life" that you should never have vinegar with your salad, instead use lemon. She mentioned that it effects the digestive system, which is opposite of what Prism says."

Marilyn Diamond changed her mind about vinegar in her next book with the other guy (not Harvey) entitled, "Fitonics", and stated that raw apple cider vinegar was okay (the only vinegar she considered ok). I don't think Harvey ever changed his mind. Maybe that's why they split up..heehee

I will occasionally use it as salad dressing though I prefer lemon and I do sometimes take a bath with it in the summer if I feel hot and itchy. I have also used it in the absence of fresh lemons as a tonic for an upset stomach, which has almost always been the result of some type of self-abuse.

khale

Date: June 27, 2007 09:27PM

"Marilyn Diamond changed her mind about vinegar in her next book"

Khale, I didn't know that, I read the first book copywrite in the 80's just recently. I'll have to read her 2nd book.

Date: June 27, 2007 09:34PM

You must use the healhy organic raw unfiltered type apple cider vinegar. It does help digestion especially for people that are holding in toxic waste in their digestive tract, and for people that have less digestive acids then required.

I am using it because of my body getting cleaned out of uric acid crystals, for my digestive health, and much else. It works for me. There are many people that would benefit taking the acv.

Look around you at the obesity we have, the foods most people eat, overweight kids..they need to have something that will improve their digestive systems..maybe then it would be easier for people that when they start to eat healthier it wouldn't be so taxing on their systems.

Love,
Prism

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables