Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

raw Tamari?
Posted by: life101 ()
Date: June 28, 2007 03:40AM

Hi, I found that Nama Shoyu has wheat. I am allergic to wheat. Tamari does not have wheat but I cannot find it raw. Anyone know of any Tamari brands that are raw? Where do you buy it if it exists? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: raw Tamari?
Date: June 28, 2007 01:28PM

[www.goldminenaturalfood.com]

I found this website for you and if you click on the one you want, it give you prices.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2007 01:29PM by deegarry@yahoo.com.

Posted by: Bikini ()
Date: June 28, 2007 01:40PM

there is no raw wheat free tamari currently on the market, only nama shoyu which is a soy sauce made with wheat.

anne wigmore, mother and pioneer of the raw foods movement chose to use the wheat-free tamari in many of her raw recipes. if you purchase any of her raw cookbooks you will see it listed in her ingredient list. after much discussion among many of my raw educator friends and community we believe she must have allowed it because it was a fermented condiment, and anne was a huge advocate of fermented foods and their healthy benefits. and it was also wheat free, a known allergan. in the small amounts anne recommends for her recipes, the
wheat-free tamari apparently provides a nice flavor enhancement w/o ill effects.

if you choose to abstain from the nama shoyu and wheat free tamari you found, celtic sea salt is what most raw chefs and raw home cooks use when they need a salty flavor in their foods and are avoiding the nama shoyu/tamari question. unless you want to try bragg's which has an even iffier reputation, though some people in the raw community are passionately addicted to it.

ultimately though, it is your choice to experiment with what works with your body.

hope this helps...

peace
love
joy
i breathe in
i breathe out
Bikini

Date: June 28, 2007 07:51PM

Dee, Thanks. I do like the info on the organic Tamari.

Bikini, That's what I thought as I couldn't find any, therefore the posted question. I appreciate the info and Ann Wigmore and other rawfood chefs. I have used salt in place of the soy flavor but it just doesn't taste the same in Asian cooking. I don't like bragg's at all so I agree with you there. I will try the tamari in the future. It's only recently that I found out that I was allergic to wheat so prior to that, any naturally brewed soy sauce worked.

Thanks for you input! Therese

Posted by: Lightform ()
Date: July 22, 2007 06:48AM

Has anyone done and experimentation with tamari in their diets or have any info on it ?
I'd be keen to hear any experiences or opinions on this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2007 06:49AM by Lightform.

Posted by: Frannie ()
Date: July 22, 2007 11:43AM

From my experience with tamari all I can say is that I find it terribly addictive. I have never used the stuff myself but when I go to raw potlucks I sometimes eat food with tamari added and although I know from the taste that it's too salty for me, once I've had a bite I can't stop eating whatever it's in. Personally I would say that tamari is not something I want in my diet permanently but for the odd gourmet treat and maybe for transitioning it could be ok.

Francis

Date: July 24, 2007 06:00AM

anyone else got anything to add ?

Posted by: perbetty ()
Date: July 24, 2007 06:17AM

I'm not allergic to wheat, but my body did have an intolerance to gluten, so I avoided it before going raw. Now that I've been raw, though, the intolerance is gone, so I find Namu Shoyu is easier to digest now. I'll even eat tabouleh (raw bulgar wheat) on occasion, whereas before I'd get joint inflamation doing that. Anyway, point being, even allergies can disappear after a while on raw, so maybe in the future you'll be able to eat Nama Shoyu without a reaction. Are you uncomfortable with the wheat in Nama Shoyu too, Lightform?

Betty

"Don't believe everything you think."

--Bumper Sticker

Date: July 24, 2007 11:51PM

Hi Betty, I have been raw for awhile now and prior to just a couple of months back, I didn't know I had a negative reaction to wheat. When I did a 10 day water fast, all I could taste was flour. It being expelled from my body as a toxin. I couldn't believe it.

I still have Candida and that also requires that I avoid wheat.

Thanks for sharing your experience and your solicitude.

Wishing your amazing health.
Therese

Date: July 25, 2007 08:24AM

Thanks people.

Perbetty - I have no problem with wheat other than I personaly feel its not good for the body and don't eat it, Apparently tamari is wheat free.

I'm just wondering about the salt content there is in tamari. Does anyone know how much salt is in it, and is the salty taste of tamari because of the salt or is it a product of the fermentation ?

Posted by: jadedshade ()
Date: July 25, 2007 11:59AM

Tamari is usually brewed tranditionally, fermented in a cask. I use it occasionally, it certainly doesn't hurt to use it even if its not raw in my opinion, you generally use so little anyway.

It's up to you though. Do what is best for you.

Remember folks it doesn't have to be all or nothing, but you want it to be thats fine too! lol.

Phil.

--------------------------------------------------

"Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it" (Chinese Proverb)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables