Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Please help re raw nuts, seeds and dried fruit
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 04, 2007 09:48AM

I've only recently started looking into the raw food lifestyle. I went to my local supermarket the other day and tried to buy some nuts, seeds and dried fruit.
I came away with nothing because I had no idea if they were raw or not.
Can anyone give me some tips to figure out what I can buy?
Thanks.
JD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2007 09:49AM by jennydev1.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Please help re raw nuts, seeds and dried fruit
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 04, 2007 12:07PM

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: July 04, 2007 03:27PM

Opinion:

If you are getting fresh produce from your produce section......i.e., fruits & vegetables....then it's living. Anything processed, dried, etc.,......will not be as vital....and YOU have to make the call whether it fits in with YOUR definition of raw. In any event, if it helps YOU to eat more fresh fruits & vegetables...then I say go for it! Don't let yourself get hung up on the label 'raw' or take anything any guru says as gospel. Dont' even believe your own brain/pre-conceptions. Walk the walk....and THEN check out the scenery. winking smiley

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: islandgirl ()
Date: July 04, 2007 03:34PM

Most of the nuts / seeds in the grocery are roasted. If you go to a health food store or natural market (I live in CA and we have "Mother's Market, Henry's and Trader Joe's), they will have bulk bins labeled "raw" and others labeled "roasted". If it's not labeled, assume its roasted. In my experience, raw is always labeled as such...except for any nut still in the shell. Hope this helps.

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: July 05, 2007 03:09AM

Posted by: Lightform ()
Date: July 07, 2007 06:46AM

Hey all winking smiley
This is my first time posting here, so a big HI from N.Z. I've got a query about nuts and seeds so I hope its in the right place. I've been eating high raw for a few years now and going on and off 100%. My question pertains to the effects of nuts and seeds on the body as I have found it negatively impacts mine, and wonder how other people find it ?
Anyway gotta run right now but I'll be back cheers all.

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: July 07, 2007 12:21PM

Hi light form I am very new to eating the raw foods. I sprout my seeds before I eat them and soak the nuts. I ate some nuts that were not soaked nore sprouted and they made me feel a bit sick. I read that the seeds have a natural preservative in them and the almond outer skin has something about it that is somewhat poison. I just made seed cheese and I find that rather rich and cannot eat to much of it. So far for me I try to eat just a little bit of seeds and nuts I think if eating these give you adverse reactions than your body is telling you to not eat so much of them.

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: July 07, 2007 02:22PM

I have been high raw for around 10 months and I am finding it harder and harder to eat nuts.

Date: July 08, 2007 01:40AM

Yes pampam..
I've herd that seeds and nuts contain a natural enzyme inhibitor which prevents our bodies from utilising their nutrients. Apparently it changes when they are sprouted which makes it available to our digestive system.
I've tried sprouting sunflower seeds and almonds but still find it hard on my digestion, and if feels like it locks up my mussles and stiffens my joints.

I don't understand how some people seem to be able to eat them without any effects ?

Am I jumping to conclusions about them,it sure seems like I can't tolerate them ?

Can body types be that different ?

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: July 08, 2007 01:19PM

Pretty much everything dried and nutty at the supermarket is bad, they may have flax seeds and sunflower seeds, but al the dried fruit is treated and r=the nuts are roasted/rancid.. Unless you go to Whole Foods or special Order.

Date: July 09, 2007 02:42AM

Mmm.. although I only eat organic, so presumably the sunflower seeds weren't heat treated. They sprouted well so they must have been ok.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables