Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Sore teeth/gums
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 10, 2007 05:32PM

I've noticed that since I went on a completely vegan diet about 6 months ago, my teeth will hurt after eating certain foods.It's always on the right side of my mouth, 2 or 3 of my teeth and the gums right above these teeth. It just occurred to me, that maybe the lack of dairy products has given me a calcium deficit, thus making my teeth weak? Do you think that's it or is it something else?
My teeth hurt after eating (or drinking) anything that has these foods in it:
nuts
citrus fruits
seeds

please help if you can! smiling smiley thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sore teeth/gums
Posted by: islandgirl ()
Date: July 10, 2007 07:13PM

After doing the Master Cleanse / lemonade diet, my gums started bleeding and receeded a bit. Since I wasn't consuming anything but lemon juice w/ maple syrup, my guess was that it was from the acid in the lemons. Since then (about6 weeks) my teeth are still very sensitive to any cold liquid as well as to certain fruits, especially those that are highly acidic. So...I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing its the acid in the fruits...not sure about the nuts. I try and brush my teeth more often.

Posted by: Peisinoe ()
Date: July 10, 2007 08:18PM

You should never brush your teeth after eating acidic fruits. It wears down the enamel and could irritate your gums and cause receeding.

Try rinsing with a paste made from baking soda (bicarbonate). This will neutralize the pH level in your mouth and cause the acid erosion to be minimal.

I follow a high sweet-fruit diet and I notice that many fruitarians have, well... crappy teeth. I think it is because of a combination of things, but the easiest thing you can do for your teeth to stop them from hurting is rinse with the bicarbonate and don't irritate them further with brushing.

Also- remember not to brush hard and use a soft bristled brush!!

much love,
xxpeisi

Date: July 10, 2007 08:28PM

I should mention:

I have perfect teeth. My mother-in-law is a dentist and I am planning on becoming one, and I get extra-thorough check-ups every 6 months.

I get a lot of calcium from broccoli, greens, and sesame seeds

Since going raw, my dentist has noticed that the calculus (tartar) has decreased to almost nothing on my teeth (meaning there is nothing to scrape off at my cleanings!!). She also told me that she has never seen cleaner teeth than mine and has become very interested in how I get them this way.

I have no cavities, erosion, or halitosis.

I am very paranoid that I will get a "fruitarian smile", yellowed teeth with cracks or caries... But so far what I've been doing is working really well. x-rays never lie, hehe

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 10, 2007 10:13PM

hey cool thankyou guys! i also have had perfect teeth my whole life with no problems till now anyway! i'll try rinsing with baking soda after eating and i'll try eating more greens and see if the pain goes away.

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: July 11, 2007 03:23AM

Rinsing with sea salt in warm water works great... and zeolite works even better.

Do teeth really get yellower from eating alot of fruit?

I bought a new toothpaste - Sea Fresh by Jason at the health food store - it seems to work better at polishing & whitening than any commercial toothpaste ever did. I was thinking of getting my teeth whitened but I don't think I need to anymore.

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: July 11, 2007 03:31AM

In my experience, teeth will get yellow, sore, sharp pains, during periods of greater detox. any pre-existing conditions, large ammounts of ancient toxins etc..can probably create some major problems with teeth.

some fruits/veggies might stain teeth more but shouldn't CREATE new problems.

the acids in nuts are probably a major teeth culprit if any single raw food would be to 'blame'

i'm not sure about the soft brush thing. I thought that was true, am finding the opposite works better if you arn't using gels or pastes.

Date: July 11, 2007 11:42AM

anaken:
If you use a hard brush, it will cause the gums to receed.
Plaque on the teeth is not very hard to "scrape off", and if one is raw, this is especially true!! It is like washing your face with rough sandpaper instead of a cloth.

If you feel that a soft brush isn't working, maybe you are not flossing enough/properly? I feel that flossing is more important than brushing!! Most cavities begin between the teeth, where a brush has a hard time reaching.

I usually rotate when I brush. I use a natural sea weed toothpaste about once a week, brush with bicarbonat twice a week or so, and the rest of the time I brush without paste or gels. Also, contrary to what a dentist would recommend, I only brush once a day, in the evenings before I go to bed and my saliva stops flowing and flushing out the bacterias that cause plaque and decay. My theory is that the more strain you put on your teeth, the worse it is for your oral health. I floss twice a day.

I also rinse with sea salt, but I prefer bicarbonat for some reason... Personal choice I suppose. I have never tried zeolite!!

I don't know if teeth get yellower from eating a lot of fruit, but I do know that they darken with age and this is accelerated with poor dental hygeine. Unfortunately, many of the fruitarians I see have poor oral health. sad smiley
Darkening or visible weakening of the teeth is what I mean.

But it can be avoided: Here is the proof!

Your gums should be a healthy pink with "pores" on them, similar to an orange peel. If they are dark red and smooth (ie blistering around the teeth and sensitive gums when you brush), then you could have a gum problem developing.

xxpeisi

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: July 12, 2007 03:18AM

i found this on the rawguru site....don't know if it`d be useful somehow
"I also recommend the books by the Boutenko family particularly GREEN FOR LIFE. The information is excellent and I have now included green smoothies in my diet. So far I have noticed a difference in my teeth which are not as sensitive as they used to be."
patty

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables