Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Is it ok to eat overripe bananas?
Posted by: frutarian_nav ()
Date: July 11, 2007 01:58AM

Hi,
Is it OK to eat overripe bananas? (I mean bananas with some brown flesh not with jet black flesh).
these bananas are usually cheaper smiling smiley

Also, can anyone tell me when burro bananas, red bananas, and plantains are ripe?

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2007 02:06AM by frutarian_nav.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it ok to eat overripe bananas?
Posted by: anaken ()
Date: July 11, 2007 02:53AM

brown flesh? I've only seen this happen when I remember keeping them in a fridge as a kid

If they have been left out to ripen, you can eat them up to any point that they are not fermenting, some fermentation is probably ok. Best is when they are fully speckled, and have no hint of starchy taste.

red bananas never ripen just right (for me). definitely should be very soft and sweet

plantains I guess can be eaten when they are black and converted most of the starches to sugar. Not my first choice of food. I would think they would be more of a novelty.

Posted by: rawfrancois ()
Date: July 11, 2007 02:56AM

My experience with red bananas is when you think they're ripe, THEY'RE NOT. Wait until they give when you lightly squeeze them.

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: July 11, 2007 04:08AM

If they get that alcohol-tinged flavor, I throw them out, because they make me feel unbalanced (plus the taste is gross). But I love them good and speckled, really sweet and soft. If I have too many ripe ones, I cut them into little pieces and freeze them in containers in the freezer for a treat.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables