Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Soooo thin
Posted by: Little Bug ()
Date: July 15, 2007 08:45AM

Ok, I have a friend who is pretty darn underweight. 5"8' and 125 pounds. He is mostly raw, like 85 or 90%. And his hair has been falling out since he started eating this way.

What the heck am I supposed to tell him? Eat more nuts and hope your hair grows back? I'm at a loss. I never had this problem, even in the worst of detox. I lost a bunch of weight at first, but I put it back on not very long after.

He eats a lot of grapefruit and greens. Plenty of avocados too. I can't figure out fiday.com for the life of me so don't say to calculate things there. The portion size options are not even slightly applicable.

The only thing I can think of is to do a liver flush and consider that his mercury fillings could be disrupting his system. I know this has been hashed out a million times, but can we go over it again? He just got over a pretty bad skin rash, so I'm thinking this could be detox. Your thoughts?

jen \

p.s. I don't know how people who are raw food coaches sit through other people's discomfort! I'm not liking this whole role model thing one bit!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Soooo thin
Posted by: rawnoggin ()
Date: July 15, 2007 01:27PM

Hi Jen,

I've only been raw for a little while now (detox just starting to kick in, uggghh!).

I'm no expert on this, but just for peace of mind, is it worth your friend signing up to fitday.com to log his daily intake just so you guys can be sure he's getting everything he needs nutritionally, and then take it from there.

A few years back when I was in my mid-twenties I started losing tonnes of hair (I've always had thick dark hair)- it was literally coming out in strands of about 1/2 cm thick when I washed my hair. It wasn't the amount so much, but more that it was coming out in patches. This was during a really bad time (stress, appalling diet) of my life. Also, during this time I was using standard shop-bought shampoo, which is full of garbage. When I calmed things down a bit, took better care of myself and used gentler shampoo (absolutely no SLS, parabens, or any other unrecognisable ingredients!), the hair shedding seemed to stop.

Also, since I've gone raw, my food allergies have almost stopped. BUT because irritants find their way into tonnes of body products, I am finding myself itching and having nettle rash after using my aloe vera gel- it has sodium benzoate in it.

So maybe he's trying to detox whilst still using toxic hair, body, or household products? Just a thought...

Hope this info helps!

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: July 15, 2007 02:43PM

Little Bug Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ok, I have a friend who is pretty darn
> underweight. 5"8' and 125 pounds. He is mostly
> raw, like 85 or 90%. And his hair has been
> falling out since he started eating this way.
>

that is not underweight. it may appear underweight due to everyone else being overweight.

of course one's bodily health is more related to muscle mass than weight per se..

many people have hair that falls out then stops.
if it keeps going then there is a problem, but you don't say how long it's been going on.

> He eats a lot of grapefruit and greens. Plenty of
> avocados too.

either he's undereating or not. no way for us to know of course.
he would have to find out if he wants to do that.

avocados and nuts do not necessarily maintain one's weight.
it's what we assimilate that counts, not what we put in our mouth.
avocados and nuts and not as well assimilated by many people as other fruits.

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: July 15, 2007 03:36PM

fresh Wrote:
> Little Bug Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Ok, I have a friend who is pretty darn
> > underweight. 5"8' and 125 pounds.
> that is not underweight. it may appear
> underweight due to everyone else being
> overweight.

i am 5'7" and i used to (back in the good old days when age hormones and metabolism allowed me to eat anything my heart desired and i didn`t gain an ounce) weigh 128 and i think i looked pretty darm good. could be something to do with age metabolism and sex as far as the weight think goes. the hair is another thing. "they" say it`s normal for our hair to fall out at a rate of 100 strands per day. don`t know for sure if "they" are right. i lose hair daily but not in clumps or patches but evenly all over.maybe research or have him research alopecia which is the clinical name for baldness? maybe he needs to take a daily multi to make sure he`s getting everything while he`s transitioning?
patty

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: July 15, 2007 04:13PM

you can adjust the portion sizes in fitday exxample if it gives you walnuts , cups .. put in .25 for a 1/4 cup

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: rawfrancois ()
Date: July 15, 2007 04:42PM

It's probably either a zinc or iron deficiency. For iron, dried thyme (add it to salads or smoothies - my sister gave me organic thyme from her garden and I use it all the time), spinach, etc. are all good. For zinc, sesame and pumpkin seeds.

You can always look on the World's Healthiest Foods site for more options to add into his diet. I use that site when looking up mineral/vitamin rich foods because it's accurate and provides the most vegan options on the internet.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: July 15, 2007 10:12PM

littlebug:

<<p.s. I don't know how people who are raw food coaches sit through other people's discomfort! I'm not liking this whole role model thing one bit!>>

i don't either
did u sign up for it?
or did u just ASSUME that that was your "role"

Posted by: Little Bug ()
Date: July 16, 2007 03:14AM

Oh thanks everyone. He's been eating raw vegan since he met me. I can't tell if another person is going through detox, and I can't tell if he is eating enough either. He started eating a little cooked vegan for dinner to see what that would do, but he was 100% for quite a number of months.

Thanks Jodi for the fitday tip. I couldn't figure that place out one bit!

The thinness isn't such a concern (he has always been thin) as it the hair loss, or the combination of the two. That began when he went raw.

I dunno Verny. He was on the edge of the lake when he met me and he jumped in on his own. Inspiration more than role model I guess. It's not my responsibility, I know.
I think it's times like these that what is needed is to trust in another person's process or path, be as helpful as possible and then let go of the outcome.

Blessings,
Jen

Posted by: tasha2003 ()
Date: July 16, 2007 04:01AM

Hi, Im a new Member. I love this site!!!

Im 5'8 too and Ive been through it all losing loads of weight. I looked very sick. I lost weight from master cleanse and juice fasting which is a no-no. Especially if you have candida like myself.

Anyway, in order to gain weight its a must to get the digestion tract in order

1. Superfood

2. Enzymes (pancreatic and digestive enzymes) and if you eat process foods like myself, take pepsin, HCL w/okra. Its cheaper than buying okra-pepsin3

3. Probiotics "friendly Bacteria" I take kefir with raw goat milk. This will make you gain some weight.

4. Protein and amino acids

5. Liver Flush is a must!!!!

Have you done a parasite cleanse yet? I read from a nother health food site that parasites can stop you from gaining weight too.

Hope I helped.

Natasha

Posted by: Mona ()
Date: July 16, 2007 12:21PM

Some men just go bald. My husband lost his hair in his 30's--family trait. Diet related or gene related? Don't know.

If he's eating a variety of fruit, veggies, some dulse, nuts and seeds, he's probably getting all the nutrients he needs. If he's eating food he loves in that food group, he's eating what his body wants him to eat. I've found that if I love it, I need it. when I no longer love it, I no longer need it.

I've never been able to gain weight unless I overeat continuously which makes me feel awful. I've been told you can gain weight by gaining muscle. There seems to be a lot of different opinions on this site. For me, I just read everything and discern for myself which will work for me. Good luck.

Mona

Courage is the ability to change the familiar.

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: July 16, 2007 03:08PM

Mona Wrote:

> I've been told you can gain weight by gaining
> muscle.
> Mona
>
> Courage is the ability to change the familiar.

you cansmiling smiley but muscle is more active than fat so it will raise your metabolism and you can eat more foods without gaining weight. did that make sense? in its resting state fat is sedentary...it just sits there. muscle is working/moving so it burns more calories. so you can gain weight by adding muscle but you also need to eat more to keep the muscle happy smiling smiley
patty

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables