Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Does Detox sometimes make you feel really sick?
Posted by: nannie11 ()
Date: July 27, 2007 01:11PM

Hi everyone:

I am brand new to this list and a very new at the raw food diet. It has been 9 days since I started and I have lost 6lbs and have been feeling very good and lots of energy. I have been goint to the bathroom everyday at least 3x or more.
My diet has been mostly raw fruit and vegies and greens. Yesterday, I thought it was time for something different so I made a Stuffed Portabella Mushroom with Avocado/tomato/onion and a side vegie/romaine salad. I have never like avocado's but this was not bad. But two hours later I thought I was going to be very sick.
I was so nausious and just wanted to vomit but couldn't. Later I started to go to the bathroom and spent most of the night in there until I couldn't go anymore.
Is this part of detox? I feel better this morning but very weak and do not feel like eating or drinking anything but water. I really want to be successful with this diet but this is not something I want to keep going through. Please tell me if this is part of the process or maybe I ate some bac avocado's.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Does Detox sometimes make you feel really sick?
Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: July 27, 2007 01:51PM

i've never felt like vomiting from detox, but could be. usual detox symptoms are tiredness, headache, depressed...etc

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: July 27, 2007 02:00PM

Sounds like food poisoning to me. I don't think that's detoxing, except to say it is your body getting rid of toxins and your body did it in a profound way which is detox.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: perbetty ()
Date: July 27, 2007 02:14PM

Oh Nannie, I'm so sorry you got sick. All I can say is, could be there was a reason you never liked avocados?

You could get an analysis to see if you were poisoned by something in the food. That would be good to know, for future reference on eating avos.

Feel better!

Betty

Posted by: applebaby ()
Date: July 27, 2007 03:59PM

that happened to me at first ! not really the getting sick park but going to the bathroom sooo often. only at very first though.

Date: July 27, 2007 08:22PM

Thank you all for your posts. I am still pretty weak and do not have much of an appetite but this too shall pass. I am beginning to think that maybe it could have been food poisoning or I may have ate too much at one time and my stomach just couldn't handle it. I just know it is going to be awhile or maybe never before I eat another stuffed portabella with avocado.

I won't give up on this just yet but I think it might be awhile before I get to 100% raw. I will probably stay at about 85 to 90%/

thank you

JoAnn

Posted by: crystalbat ()
Date: July 27, 2007 11:31PM

hello smiling smiley
i had similar symptoms to what you described in the first 2/3 months of going raw. i made lots of complex foods and i had two er 'episodes' of sickness. unfortunately, i cant define whether it was what i ate (once it felt like raw onion in a dish was irritating and causing everything, gas, BLOATING, awful toilet visits, vomiting, weakness) how much i ate (it was quite tasty and i am still fairly addicted to food...!) or poisoning, or some other reason. i don't know. i guess these adjustments just happen.. but after nearly 6 months my digestion seems to be much better and i also don't eat so much or such complex things (though still eat lots of bizarre combinations i probably shouldnt!)

another time i ate a tiny bit of vegan sushi and again, i'm not sure if it was a detox reaction to the rice after a few 'clean' months or what, but that kickstarted a good few days of horridness and vomiting. so it's not just you, but i cant pinpoint the cause!

sometimes i overeat and then dont feel hungry and think i should fast...i really really want to start one, i just need to plan. perhaps if it happens again (i hope not!) it'd be a good time to kickstart one due to the lack of hunger...um yeh

also raw mushrooms are not everyone's thing... i imagine a raw mushroom is more likely to make you sick than avocado?

anyway hope you feel much better and zingy and fresh now !

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: July 28, 2007 05:24AM

I agree with Prism, that this is more a case of food poisoning rather than detox. It also could have been the combination of the irritating raw onions and perhaps something toxin in the mushroom.

Date: July 28, 2007 12:28PM

Another day and I feel much better. In fact I am back on the program and am having my green smoothie right now for breakfast and it is going down just fine.

I really appreciate all your posts and replys. After giving it much thought I am begining to think that the raw onions ( which I love but have reacted on me before) and the mushroom may have been the culprits. I am going to go slow and easy for awhile and stick to the vegies and fruits.

Thank you very much for all your help. It is so nice to know that there is so much support from this group. I am brand new at this lifestyle and am hoping I can succeed at becoming a permanent raw food follower.

JoAnn

Posted by: Stacie ()
Date: July 28, 2007 04:25PM

You are the second person on two raw forum boards that said they got sick after eating Portabella Mushrooms.

Posted by: azrael ()
Date: August 02, 2007 06:40AM

Hi crystalbat,

Thanks for your post. I am transitioning to raw after a month fast. I have had some horrendous cramping/bloating/digestive expriences (similar to your description) after introducing food again (I introduced food slowly). It is discouraging to experience because I felt so wonderful towards the end while I was fasting. I sometimes wonder why I am doing this if I feel worse than when I was eating cooked. But your post reminded me that it is temporary, and I should look at this as a detox that will only allow me to feel better after it all is released. It is good to be reminded that I am not the only one to go through these experiences. Thanks again!

Shadow

Posted by: Kristen's Raw ()
Date: August 02, 2007 07:43AM

I had a problem with mushrooms when I first started eating Raw. That is probably what caused you the pain and discomfort. Glad to hear you're doing better.
Cheers!

Kristen Suzanne
--
www.KristensRaw.com
www.KristensRaw.blogspot.com

Posted by: rawnoggin ()
Date: August 02, 2007 08:43AM

Hi nannie11 smiling smiley

It sounds like food poisoning to me to, but just a quick suggestion after your comment about not eating avocados:

I feel nauseous when I eat something that I don't like, usually when I just eat it for health reasons.

The first time I tried seaweed, I liked it, and then gradually I started to really dislike the aftertaste. Anyway, a while ago I made salad with it in, and even though I could eat it without feeling nauseous, a bit later on in the evening I felt seriously sick. Mentally, I had told myself I hated it. So physically, I felt very sick. I actually cringe a bit when I see seaweed in my cupboard now!

I also feel nauseous when eating bland food for dinner. Lots of lettuce brings back memories of being a kid and hating the stuff. Also if I think a fruit or vegetable is nearing its shelf-life, I'll put the idea in my head it's rotten (even if it's not) so when I try to eat it, I don't enjoy it, and usually end up feeling sick later. I think this is because of an incident that happened to me when I was a kid where a family friend gave me some fresh peas (which I hated and felt forced into eating) and I became really ill, had the worst migraine imaginable.

I think I'm yet to detox my childhood feelings towards food :-)

Well done on your weight loss and what you've achieved so far!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables